It's not what my parents would have chose for me

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 09:45 am
Yes, it's true International Talk like a Pirate day is here again, today

The men who created Talk Like a Pirate Day in Albany, Ore., say the idea began as a string of pirate insults and grew to become a worldwide celebration.

Matt "Cap'n Slappy" Summers, 46, who still lives in Albany, and John "Ol' Chumbucket" Baur, who now lives in St. Croix, Virgin Islands, said Talk Like a Pirate Day, which falls on Saturday, began in 1995 as pirate-style bantering on an Albany racquetball court, CNN reported Friday.

"We just grew up in a time and place where we saw the wrong movies, read the wrong books," Baur said of the pirate fixation he shares with Summers.

The men said they decided to turn their idea into an annual Sept. 19 event and the holiday gained major national attention in 2002 when it was the subject of a Miami Herald column by humorist Dave Barry.

"This is not what my parents would have chosen for me, but when the wave comes up, you ride it," Baur said. "We do it for fun. We don't pretend that this is serious.'

• Why Sept. 19? It's the birthday of the ex-wife of one of the holiday's founders -- Cap'n Slappy.

• The exclamation "Arrrrrrrrrr!" is preferred over "Arrrrrgh!" or "Yarrrrrrrrr!"

• The Patron Saint of Talk Like a Pirate Day is Robert Newman. The late actor played the "definitive" Long John Silver in "Treasure Island."

• The holiday should not be an excuse to wear pirate garb. As the creators point out on their Web site: "It's TALK like a Pirate Day, not DRESS like a pirate."

Foofie, this thread is just posted for the sake of diversionary humour and is not intended to be demeaning to jews.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 803 • Replies: 8
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 09:47 am
Arr - rr
He'll be a walkin the plank if he starts.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 10:10 am
Had a fellow come in to the store the other day with a parrot on his shoulder. Didn't look like a pirate -- well, except for the parrot. He had a lot of bird poop down the back of his shirt. Maybe he was just ahead of schedule.

What's a pirate's favourite letter?

"R"
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 04:06 pm
@dyslexia,
Sure it is demeaning to Jews (see original post of thread). The whole concept of being Jewish is to graduate college and be a success at something, so one's family can kvell (puff up with pride). How many pirate doctors, lawyers, professors are there? I thought so. Being a pirate is a very Gentile occupation.

Occasionally, there might be a rebellious Jewish child that does something atypically Jewish, but not become a pirate. If an American Jewish child wants to be atypically Jewish, the child can go to Israel where there are a whole host of atypical Jewish occupations that Jews are doing. In the U.S. Jews tend to be in specific occupations. I say tend. Naturally, there are exceptions.

It was nice of you to start a thread about pirates and Jews. Thank you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 04:47 pm
Just read a review of a book that sounds interesting to me on the economics of piracy - “The Invisible Hook” (Princeton; $24.95), by Peter T. Leeson.
The article -
http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2009/09/07/090907crbo_books_crain
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 06:48 pm
Oh, bugger! Missed it again. Sad

Arrrrrrrrr!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 07:29 pm
@dyslexia,

Have thay gotten the co-operation of the ones from Somalia ?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 07:36 pm
david I'm going to assume that you can read but somehow just missed this comment from my opening post;
Quote:
this thread is just posted for the sake of diversionary humour
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 07:51 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

david I'm going to assume that you can read but somehow just missed this comment from my opening post;
Quote:
this thread is just posted for the sake of diversionary humour

OK then; tell the Somalians to forget about it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » It's not what my parents would have chose for me
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 03:39:50