Lovatts Colossus #124 (Cryptic)

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 06:09 am
HELP PLEASE - I need help big time as this is my first attempt at doing a cryptic - & not doing so good, am asking for help with these clues to see if they may help me work out others

5a - Gadgets used to divert canal pipes
40a - claim to be disturbed by rat noise
51a - arrived by fate at king arthur's court
62a - slouches quietly into ghettos
27d - oddly, peace organisation and US initially upset with political partner
36d - throwing skills create extreme excitement
38d - spoil church parade
55d - limited range of arrow Ned found outside
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 817 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 06:27 am
@sticky73,
Hi sticky73

Here are my solutions:
5a = appliances
40a = assertion
51a = camelot
62a = slumps
27d = unusually
36d = thrills
38d = march
55d = narrowed

Hope this helps, good luck.
0 Replies

sticky73

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 06:31 am
thanks hopefully i can figure out the rest myself Smile
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 07:08 am
@sticky73,
Dutchy has provided the answers which are - no doubt - correct. I'll attempt to explain how he came by his answers which will (hopefully) help you in solving future cryptic puzzles.

5a - Gadgets used to divert canal pipes APPLIANCES. Anagram of "canal pipes". Note that inclusion of the word "divert" in the clue is an indicator that the solution may be an anagram. Other such devices are words like "altered", "changed", "disturbed" (see next clue) and the like.

40a - claim to be disturbed by rat noise ASSERTION. I bet the clue read "rat noises" rather than "noise", didn't it? Another anagram.

51a - arrived by fate at king arthur's court CAMELOT. Sraightforward cryptic clue. King Arthur's legendary court was known as Camelot. "Arrived" is "came" and "fate" is "lot" (as in one's "lot" in life.)

62a - slouches quietly into ghettos SLUMPS Any time you see the word "quiet" or "quietly", look to include the letter "p" in the solution (presumably something to do with "minding one's p's and q's"). Here, "p" goes inti "slums" (ghettos) to yield the answer, which is a synonym of sorts for "slouches".

27d - oddly, peace organisation and US initially upset with political partner UNUSUALLY The peace organisation here is the UN (United Nations), add the US and "ally" (political partner) which yields the answer (a synonym for "oddly")

36d - throwing skills create extreme excitement THRILLS Inclusion of "extreme" is intended to guide you to look at the first few letters of "throwing" and the last few letters of "skills".

38d - spoil church parade MARCH A cryptic convention can be that the letters "ch" form part of the solution when the word "church" is in the clue. "Mar" is a synynym for "spoil". Put 'em together for your solution "march", a synonym for "parade".

55d - limited range of arrow Ned found outside. NARROWED. The word "arrow" surrounded ("found outside") by "ned". Phrases such as "found outside" or "surrounded by" can indicate that the solution may be of this nature.

Hope that helps with future puzzling!
Dutchy

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 07:23 am
@lmur,
Top marks for those explanations Lmur!
0 Replies