Not "bad vibes", more like "no vibes"

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 11:53 am
In my previous incarnation as a portrait photographer I met new people every few hours. It was critical that I be able to get a "read" on them right away; you can't make a good session unless you can quickly figure out how to translate that person's vocabulary and mannerisms. I think I was pretty good at it.

I'm wondering if I've lost my touch or if I've encountered something new.

One of my neighbor/friends has a brother who is staying with her family.

We would rather have a house/pet sitter than kennel the dog while we're on vacation.

On the surface it seems like asking him to house sit would be advantageous for everyone, us, our friend, her brother.

And he truly seems like a great guy. I don't pick up any "bad vibes".

But there is something about him that just doesn't "read".

Have you ever had anyone simply flatline your vibe radar?

How did you deal with it and how did that turn out?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 1,628 • Replies: 18
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 12:40 pm
Well, he could have just a flat personality or temperment.

I would trust you, as a portrait photographer, to read a person.

"No vibe" would be unsettling to me, especially if he is going to watch my house and dog.

Is it something as simple as you need to spend more time with him?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:13 pm
@boomerang,
OK...being that I'm a prof photographer and a also dogsitter/caretaker and pet custodiann of my own pets, I feel qualified to comment.

Because you are asking this question here, your gut is telling you something.
You might want to try and find another dog sitter. If there's no vibes sesned by you, then you have no real feeling to go on. Those ARE likely to be bad vibes for the dog. The dog will sense this too and not warm up to him.

To test this, introduce the dog to him and let him spend time. Then you can see if it is a safe situation.
boomerang

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:15 pm
It is unsettling.

And if he had a flat personality I would understand it.

But he's very handsome, physically fit, friendly, loves kids and animals, he just moved to town and has a good job. Seriously, he's the kind of guy I meet and would start running through a list of single girls you know to fix him up with.

It's just very strange.
Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:19 pm
@boomerang,
Why not give him a half-hour with the dog and watch both of their body language and energy.

Is he interested in doing dog-sitting? This all could be a moot point.

boomerang

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:21 pm
@Ragman,
Are you my doppelganger?

My dog has met him and responded the way he does to most people -- he likes him. My puppy-cat even went right up to him.

In my neighborhood people are always out and about. I know all of my neighbors pretty well. We all usually congregate in the evenings just to yak for a while.

I really don't think anything weird would happen since I do know his sister and she lives two doors down.

I've even started to approach him about sitting a couple of times and backed off.

It's the strangest thing.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:25 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Are you my doppelganger?

My dog has met him and responded the way he does to most people -- he likes him. My puppy-cat even went right up to him.

In my neighborhood people are always out and about. I know all of my neighbors pretty well. We all usually congregate in the evenings just to yak for a while.

I really don't think anything weird would happen since I do know his sister and she lives two doors down.

I've even started to approach him about sitting a couple of times and backed off.

It's the strangest thing.

'Flat affect' is what the psychologists call it.

I generally trust my instincts; if something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't right. You shouldn't have to convince yourself that everything is cool.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:26 pm
can only photographers come in?
then I cant be here Wink

I get those flab vibes a lot.

usually indicative of mental disorders .
Mild bpd, schizophrenia + medication. Sociopaths give that off too. The milder cases give 'nothing' in the way of vibes . The really out there ones make my stomach feel like a brick.

If he is -nothing- to you then , give nothing to him.
Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:27 pm
@boomerang,
hehe doppleganger..seems so.

Signs are pointing to needing to explore it further, in this case..'Specially 'cause your doggie is not high maintenance, right? What breed is doggie?

BTW, I'm losing my mind...but is there no spell check here anymore?
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:28 pm
@Ragman,
I'm with Ragman - if the dog really likes him then he's OK. Better judges of character than dogs never lived. But make absolutely certain about the "really" part - the 3 of you could go to a park, say, then you can watch your dog's interaction with other dogs and people, see if that young guy is considered "family".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:36 pm
@boomerang,
Hmmm.

The "no vibe" people that I've stuck around long enough to find out more about them haven't usually turned out very well. Mostly low-level, but it makes me wary of no-vibe people.

They usually have something to hide, it seems, or there's something false about the personality they have on display. Sometimes that's innocent enough -- one "no-vibe" guy I'm thinking of turned out to be a closeted gay man, who was very concerned with remaining closeted... once I figured that out, everything else computed, and he turned out to be a nice guy.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:39 pm
We use a truly excellent kennel. The well socialized dogs get to live in a pack, running through acres of creeks and hills at the base of Mt. Hood. They're only "caged" during meal times.

Diamond is low maintence except for exercise. He's a mutt - a border collie/Austrailian shepard mix.

I haven't cancelled my kennel reservation yet.

Typically we don't use a house sitter. We're only going to be gone for a week and our cat Biscuit is very independant. But we just got that new cat -- Godzilla. She's adapted very well but I admit to leaving her alone for a week.

When "Brother" came to town I just started thinking that maybe that would be a good answer for us.... and for them. Even though Diamond likes "camp", he prefers home.

It isn't manditory that someone stays here.
BorisKitten

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 04:19 pm
A tough one!

Personally, I'd go with the kennel, which sounds delightful and well-proven.

When you said this fellow is "new to the area," there might be a very good reason for his moving, reasons unknown to you and yours.

I think you should trust your own instincts. Dogs are, in my opinion, more trusting than humans.

In summary, I'd go with my own feelings, not my dog's.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 04:23 pm
@boomerang,
I'd also go with the kennel.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 06:07 pm
@boomerang,
He's an alien simulant.

Call Torchwood (or MIB if thery are closer.)

Sorry, I had nothing sensible to add,
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 09:05 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang, I had a very similar dilemma a few years ago, when my then partner & I were heading off to Asia for 3 months travel. A friend of a friend was staying at our house for the duration & offered to look after our 3 cats. She was very persuasive, said it would be a pleasure (as she really liked cats) & no trouble at all ... I couldn't quite put my finger on why, but I felt quite apprehensive about the idea & we ended up boarding the cats instead. On our return we discovered that she actually hadn't been at the house all that much, had neglected to pay a few bills (We weren't charging her any rent. The deal was she just paid for any bills she incurred, nothing else ...) & our friend had to come over & help her clean up the house before our return because she was having difficulty coping with other problems in her life .....
I'm really glad we didn't leave our precious critters in her care for so long, though I would never have guessed about the other problems. There was just "something" that kept nagging at me & we decided it would be safer (& less worry for us) if the cats were looked after in the boarding place we'd had lots of previous good experiences with, instead. I guess people aren't always what they appear to be when you first meet them.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 01:44 am
Yep - agree with majority - If you have doubts, make other arrangements.

Some years ago, friend weas between houses, offered to house and catsit - was a bit cautious - but agreed. Found she didn't come home every night - and might call my aunt to following afternoon, to feed the poor bloody cat.

Used a different person to catsit Possum once and that was a disaster, too!
0 Replies

nana campbell

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 12:00 pm
@shewolfnm,
u really touch every point i feel the same way you feel can't get a vibe on this boy for my friend and i get vibes on alot of people but not him and i have mental problems
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 01:45 pm
Interesting - wondering now how that all worked out.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Not "bad vibes", more like "no vibes"
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 01:37:42