The Younger Generation--Cluck & Kvetch

Noddy24

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:36 am
This morning I went grocery shopping. Since I have company coming this weekend, the order was nearly $100. The clerk rang up my groceries, praised me for having $20 worth of coupons---and forgot to give me my 5% Senior Citizen discount.

We went over to the courtesy desk. The clerk on duty grabbed the sales slip and a calculator and handed me $9.61. I told her that she'd given me too much money. After all, 5% of $100 would only be $5.

She agreed to figure it out again and showed me the printout: $9.61. After all, the calculator had to be right, didn't it.

Meanwhile, I'm holding up six other shoppers. A Good Woman might have insisted on seeing the manager, but I'm flawed--also busy today.
Besides, the calculator had to be right.

Quo vadis? Are you happy about the current ways of the world?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 521 • Replies: 5
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:56 am
Computers can't lie; they are just machines.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:10 am
Not often. Even windfalls such as yours are tainted, aren't they?

Looking at the big picture -- war. Looking at the small -- apathy & not much passion to excel. In the middle, stupid laws.

All in all, a total bummer. Here have some tea with sugar, I hope you enjoy your company this weekend.

Should I tell you my kvetch from yesterday?
I traveled to the campus my son attended to pick up a form from the registrar, a form needed by our/his medical insurance company that shows I've paid for him to attend a certain number of quarter credits to make him eligible... yada.yada.

Completely out of my control: The school wouldn't register him until two days before we left the country. We didn't have time to pick up the form before we left. He's in London and despite him telling them just what he needed, it now turns out he was also supposed to include a letter saying I can personally pick up the form.

I shake my head and y'know, the lady who was helping me had to have been seventy-five, if she was a day. No kidding. It wasn't her fault though, but some Federal Rule that has recently become even more protective of young sprouts not having to tell their parents how they're doing in school.

It sure puts a lot of trouble on my plate that I could have done without. At least you got money.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:13 pm
Piffka--

My sympathies. Could I suggest for the future that your son give you Power of Attorney to handle his affairs while he's overseas? I made myself quite unpopular for insisting that a stepson give his father P of A before the stepson was swept off by the navy.

Everyone recanted when they found out how convenient life was with a man-on-the-spot.

Hold your dominion--tomorrow will be better.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:21 pm
What an excellent idea. Why didn't you mention this before???? I'd hold my dominion and his, too.

Thanks, Noddy. Too bad it's too late now, but I will remember this. Wink
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:06 pm
I was honored surprisingly with a free scone today during the coffee run. Due to the high number of consumers at the same time and quite a pile up of orders. It wasnt anyone elses...it was just that they thought they hadnt given it to me yet.
I kept it. I felt bad at first, then remembered how long I was in line and how many times they've messed up.
What can you do?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Younger Generation--Cluck & Kvetch
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 02:19:32