data mining corporations

brahmin

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 11:22 am
hi.

i know about data mining and know its advantages. However i need a few examples of companies/corporates which basically run on data mining. like google, which would not be the world beating company it is without its data mining program written by sergei brin and larry page (one of the most accessed papers published by stanford). could you all give me some more examples?? how about airline companies?? or retail chains?? Which ones specifially
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 921 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 11:32 am
@brahmin,
Quote:
However i need a few examples of companies/corporates which basically run on data mining.

Angoss
Infor
SPSS
thinkAnalytics
Unica
Viscovery
brahmin

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 12:16 pm
@Robert Gentel,
thanks a bunch.

are all these the companies from the same industry vertical or diversified?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 01:05 pm
@brahmin,
They are companies that provide data mining to other companies (mostly to analyze their customer behavior) and who thusly live or die by their data mining.

Google isn't really a typical example of "data mining" to me but if you are looking for that kind of thing there are plenty of online data harvesting companies from any search engine to something like Technorati where they aggregate the blogosphere.
brahmin

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 01:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,
thanks again.

i wasnt exactly looking for companies which provide a data mining service to other companies.

i was looking for examples of companies which themselves extensively use data mining technologies to support their operations. like google or amazon, both of which are industry leaders at data storage and intelligent retrieval.

could you please name soem other companies, which greatly rely on data mining for their success ?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 06:51 pm
@brahmin,
It seems like you are looking for data warehouses more than data mining. And it seems like you are focused on the web mining, which really makes it a bit meaningless since any large internet company does those things and depends on traffic analysis (a form of data mining) for their success.

So just pick any large internet company. Yahoo and Microsoft both operate large-scale search engines like Google. In Yahoo's case it's a significant part of their revenue and the search engine is their most valuable asset. I also mentioned Technorati, which does the same kind of web scraping that Google does to provide a blog search and blog rankings.

Shopping comparison sites like PriceGrabber, mySimon, and NexTag all mine the web to aggregate and analyze products for their customers to search.

Just about any company uses data mining in some form, but it looks like you are focused on customer-facing products of data mining like search engines and e-commerce sites. You can really just pick any you know, and find ways they are doing data mining (any "recommended products" or "best sellers" list is an example, and if they have any traffic worth speaking of they are using web analytics software extensively to mine data from it).
farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 08:44 pm
@brahmin,
The Human Genome project had used several aspects of data mining and now theres much multifactor dimensional analyses going on to compare the functional parts among several genomes of different species.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 10:42 am
@Robert Gentel,
hi thanks everyone. ultimately i settled for the example of security agencies like fbi - they mine almost all databases and obtain warehoused data from virtually every industry vertical which needs to maintain a log/record of all activities of their customers.
0 Replies