WOMEN OF A2K HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE HUSBANDS THAT ARE RETIRED AND HOW DO THEY UTILIZE THEIR TIME?Ye

Sglass

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 01:20 pm
Yes?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 767 • Replies: 16
No top replies

chai2

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 01:30 pm
He spends most of his time staying out of my hair.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 01:40 pm
Ha!

Yesterday I can a conversation with the elderly man across the street. He was digging up yet another area of the yard. They are constantly rennovating their yard. I asked him what he was planning on planting and he said "I don't know, she shows me where to dig and I dig...."

When I read your post I figured out what was going on over there -- she doesn't care about the yard, she just wants him to have a project!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 01:45 pm
Ok, seriously

this is an interesting question, since it's only been recently he begun to grok the idea that he's paid his dues, and can now do things other than bring home the bacon.

The process has been a long hard one, as he was forced to stop doing the work he loved due to his health, since around 2001. In some ways, his health is better now, but if you've read a different thread started by me about his goings on, in other ways, it's worse.

For a while, he was literally sitting around the house in his bathrobe all day, not getting much of anything done, and dragging me down with him.

Now, after too long a story to tell here, he's actually seeking fulfillment in other ways besides work. He has a classic car, a 1959 Pontiac that's in pretty good shape, and that's filled a long time dream. Next month he's going to start taking yoga classes. He loves to bake, but had no one to bake for (everyone's on a diet of course) I think he's hankering to start that again, and will find someone who'll appreciate it. He absolutely loves our cats, and enjoys them too. He's a big reader, and also loves movies. Lately he's been taking walks every day, and I've invited him to go to the public pool with me whenever he wants.

It's a simple life.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 01:55 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

He loves to bake, but had no one to bake for (everyone's on a diet of course) I think he's hankering to start that again, and will find someone who'll appreciate it.

Hey Chai, I bet your husband would love to get his baking involved in your community's local bake sales for this Great American Bake Sale which is a national charity fundraising event to feed the nation's hungry children.

Here's the website for it, and a video clip about it:

http://gabs.strength.org/site/PageServer?pagename=GABS_homepage

chai2

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 02:29 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Hey Chai, I bet your husband would love to get his baking involved in your community's local bake sales for this Great American Bake Sale

Well, you'd lose that bet, that's for damn sure.
mags314772

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 02:54 pm
@Sglass,
we are both retired. I retired before hubby and he retired from teaching about three years ago. He loves to shop , so he does all the grocery shopping. He's an avid ebayer and spends time doing that. He love s to read, and chauffers me to various doctor appointments. He also loves to plan trips on the train. We take about three long ones a year. He, too, adores our cats and spends a lot of time playing with them. I agree. It's a simple life.
Sglass

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 03:10 pm
@mags314772,
Is your husband a good shopper? My pal loves junk food and comes home with tons of it. Potato chips, dips loaded with chemicals and sodium, tons of bread. Hates salads. He'll put a quarter inch of congealed bacon grease on bread and eat it. I've been thinking about mainlining him with Mazolla oil

He went to the doctors last week, I am most interested in seeing his chol. count.
mags314772

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 03:29 pm
@Sglass,
he's a great shopper. We generally make a list before he goes, but he remembers things we need that I may have forgotten. He likes to stock up on things we use all the time, too.

Bacon grease on bread is pretty much mainlining it already!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 03:33 pm
@chai2,
Not an altruistic bone in his body? Well, he could supply them to the local coffee shop - make some money, keep busy, indulge his hobby.
chai2

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 03:35 pm
@Mame,
He doesn't want to HAVE to bake, he does it when he wants to.

Neither one of us is real big on doing things on others schedules.
Mame

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 05:06 pm
@chai2,
I get you. I'm the same. I don't HAVE to work, hence the part-time job where I can book off when I want, but still feel connected and like I'm contributing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 05:24 pm
@Sglass,
Is there supposed to be a problem in there, somewhere?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 08:41 pm
My husband is a computer nerd. He spends a lot of time tinkering with a program that he wrote, developed and has been working on ever since I met him over fifteen years ago. He's watches CNN and MSNBC when he takes a break. Doesn't take much to occupy him.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 01:41 am
There is a movement in my small town called U3A. (University of the third age). Variouse courses are offered from time to time with retired persons taking advantage.

when i retire i'm gonna buy a bus. We'll gut it and refit it as a mobile home. I am allowed to to this on the proviso that curtains are fitted.
Whilst I am doing the gutting and refitting i will do courses to upgrade my skills in carpentry and metal work as the need arises as well as a diesal mechanics course. In case the bus engine breaks down.
We will then join the growing army of Grey Nomads and tour this wonderful country.
Sglass

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 01:56 am
@dadpad,
And you can become dadpad of the Outback and scatter koa seeds.

Incidently I found a seed pod which hadn't thrown its seeds yet and
MA and I are going to follow the directions and see if they float or sink. I have staked out a couple of areas on Mauna Loa Road. The koa is blooming so there should be great seeds ready in a couple of months.

Are there koa trees in Australia?

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 02:24 am

Sglass wrote:

And you can become dadpad of the Outback and scatter koa seeds.

Definitly not. Any trees grown will be tightly controlled.
but i might become a koa -la

Sglass wrote:
Are there koa trees in Australia?

No Koa in Oz sglass, Beautiful wood though.

Thank you most kindly.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » WOMEN OF A2K HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE HUSBANDS THAT ARE RETIRED AND HOW DO THEY UTILIZE THEIR TIME?Ye
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 06:57:10