Cause to Rethink Home Safety

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 08:11 am
About a block down the street, a woman died in a house fire this morning. Her dog too. We live in a mobile home neighborhood, and there are no fire hydrants. I have begun reassessing safety precautions in my own home now. For instance, adding extra alarms and getting a few extra fire extinguishers. But also examining electric connections and the like. Making sure exits are accessable at all times. If I am overlooking something, please let me know. I don't have much time this morning, but will be online off and on during the day.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,250 • Replies: 22
No top replies

JPB

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 08:27 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

About a block down the street, a woman died in a house fire this morning. Her dog too. We live in a mobile home neighborhood, and there are no fire hydrants. I have begun reassessing safety precautions in my own home now. For instance, adding extra alarms and getting a few extra fire extinguishers. But also examining electric connections and the like. Making sure exits are accessable at all times. If I am overlooking something, please let me know. I don't have much time this morning, but will be online off and on during the day.

I'm sorry to hear about this tragedy, edgar. I'm not sorry that you're taking it to heart in a positive, preventative manner.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 08:57 am
@edgarblythe,
we got struck by lightning many years ago and that made us re do our entire lightning rod system (We live on a hilltop). Since then weve been struck several times and only laugh at the bolts (even though we lose a well pump every so often).

GFI's , they detect any faults quickly and shut down a cirdcuit before trouble.

Of course, having several easily accessible fire extinguishe stations is always a good thing.

OH yeh, my sister in law had a fire at their clothing dryer. I think it was from the filter being clogged up with fuzz. Ive also heard of electric refrigerators causing fires from being all impacted with dust at the fan . We clean appliance fans (and computer fans) at least once a year because we own a cat.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 09:03 am
@farmerman,
inspect the connections on your fuse box.

carefullly look for loose wires or blackened spots.
raprap

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 09:12 am
@farmerman,
Good to see you included computers. My sons computer caught fire once because of excessive cat fuzz. Fortunately the only thing that was lost was the motherboard.

Rap
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 09:17 am
Create a special space away from your house for flammable materials and combustable liquids.

Dispose of old oil based paints and paint thinners--check the bathroom and under the kitchen sink for presssurized spray bottles of combustable materials---even WD40 burns in the right conditions.

Paper, if loose is an amazing accelerant. Dust in general creates hazards it might be a good idea to have any ductwork cleaned.

Rap
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 11:02 am
@farmerman,
We got struck by lightning at our last residence. It was a house constructed in 1908. It had a corrugated metal roof, and a big metal antenna pole that was fastened to the roof metal and went two feet into the ground. In front, there grew a magnificent tree that resembled the sycamores I grew up with in California. The bolt actually hit the tree first, then traveled across the roof. Perhaps the antenna pole provided enough ground to save the house. It did create a surge that ruined most of our appliances. My wife saw the fiery blast out the front door and ran down the central hall to get to the rear of the building. My daughter saw the flash out of the window at the pole's location and began running toward the front. The tree was cut down a few years later and the landlord converted the house into a combined antique store and Sammich Shop (that's what the sign says). We started buying this mobile piece of censored home about eight months or so after the lightning.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 12:12 pm
@farmerman,
Overlooked GFIs. Thanks.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 12:12 pm
@Rockhead,
Doing that, rock.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 12:14 pm
@raprap,
My storage building is thirty feet from the house.
I don't doubt that WD 40 burns, since it is primarily fish oil.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 12:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have fire extinguishers in my house. You can check with your homeowners insurance and they may give a discount in your rate, mine does. Same goes for if you have a fire alarm system that is monitored.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 12:26 pm
@TTH,
I have a couple of fire extinguishers - Just thinking about upgrading them, as they are getting a bit old. They need to be recharged or replaced periodically. The cheap ones, with plastic tops, are best discarded rather than filled again.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 08:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
[...] We live in a mobile home neighborhood, and there are no fire hydrants. [...]

Edgar, why are there no fire hydrants? Where is the closest one? Are there no fire regulations in regards to this kind of thing?

Here, a hydrant must "X" amount of feet to a unit. I lived in a mobile home park for a few years some time back, and in the park, I can remember a number of hydrants everywhere.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 09:17 pm
@Reyn,
This place was built in an unincorporated area. Apparently there were no restrictions. I have pointed out the folly to the neighborhood committee, but nothing happens. The only thing I know for sure our monthly neighborhood association fee gets used for, they mow the grass along the entrance once a week. The trucks have tanks of water but if the fire is big enough it's quite a strain.
mysteryman

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 08:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
You have gotten some good suggestions, but I am going to jump in here.

Speaking as a firefighter, there are several simple things you can do.

Remove any flammable cleaners or solvents you have, put them in a storage area.Have at least 2 fire extinguishers handy, but make sure they are accessible easily.
Have more then one way out of your trailer so that you cant get trapped.

BUT, the best thing I can say is that if your trailer catches fire...GET OUT!!!!!
Most trailers are built with so much flammable material that if it catches fire, the local FD wont be able to do much more then put out the embers.
Most trailers will burn down inside 10 minutes and there is little that can be done.

As for the lack of hydrants, find out if the land is on county property or not.
If it is, you might be able to get th county to install hydrants, but it would be expensive.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 08:36 pm
Thanks, MM. Prevention with early detection and a safe way out. That's what I am aiming for.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 08:38 pm
http://www.click2houston.com/video/19618695/index.html
Here is the newscast covering the fire, on video.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 09:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

This place was built in an unincorporated area.

Ah, I see. Now I understand.

Sounds nerve-wracking.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 09:14 pm
One man bought the entire parcel of ground and then began selling it with mobile homes on the lots. He died a few years ago, and his son recently sold out to somebody new. The new man says he wants to upgrade the neighborhood, but I have just heard talk to date.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 03:10 am
Do you have smoke detectors edgar?

I have no idea how big your home is but i cant imagine you would need more than 2 or 3. dont buy cheap ones though. We used to have one that went off when i mowed the lawn. but that was mostly the old **** box mower.