take responsibility!!

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 10:54 am
A number of people that I know are in tight situations at the moment. Due to the economic situation, some of my friends have had pay cuts, and find themselves becoming more and more cornered in society each year.

However, a few of them seem to locate the source of their troubles not in external social and economic forces, but in things that they themselves could change if they wanted to.

For example, someone I know simply cannot save any money because she claims that she is “unable to save money” because she always goes out and spends it on various things, most of which she could do without. She has the power to change her situation, but believes that she cannot control her spending habit, and thus feels as though she’s in a rut because of it. She says its “just the way I am”, yet she complains nonetheless.

It would seem to me that many people believe that they are in situations that they have little control over, when in fact the truth is quite the opposite. It appears however, that they don’t want to take full responsibility for their actions, and as a result they put themselves in these “impossible” situations, of which they wish they could escape.

People are all too ready to blame “society” for their misfortune, or indeed the “way that they are” as the cause of their troubles.

If more people decided to bear even a little bit of responsibility for themselves and their choices, they’d live happier lives, but their all too willing to trap themselves.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 576 • Replies: 13
No top replies

vori1234

Reply Thu 14 May, 2009 05:51 pm
Well actually people have absolutly NO control of their life.
Since there is no free will, ability to choose what to do, at every given moment we can do only one exact thing as defined by deterministic laws of physics.
Some people become aware of that by logical thinking and some, like your friend, are able to "feel" it by being aware how hard it is to move away from your own habits.
fresco

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 06:12 am
@vori1234,
...so the "laws of physics" determined that you posted on this thread ?
existential potential

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 06:25 am
@vori1234,
maybe, but I may do one particular thing in the past, but I could have done otherwise. you say "how hard it is to move away from your own habits", hard, but not impossible.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 08:23 am
Question: If the laws define action, in what way can it be said that I possess a habit? It would seem just as reasonable to suggest the laws possess habits?
existential potential

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 09:35 am
@Ashers,
the same thing applies to addiction as well.
0 Replies

vori1234

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 10:33 am
@Ashers,
Habit is just something that you do often.
You can say that Earth has a habit of turning around Sun.
By saying this you are just saying that this happens quite often.
This is totaly the same as saying that someone has a habit of buying coffe each morning.
vori1234

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 10:36 am
@fresco,

Correct. I saw some words on my monitor, that automatcily triggered complex interactions of my neurons in my brain following laws of physics which resulted in me posting a comment. Smile

existential potential

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 11:47 am
@vori1234,
what does your life mean to you in light of the fact that your determined to go down one particlular path with no real control over how your life unfolds?
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 11:50 am
@vori1234,
OK, "you do" intrigues me. It seems to me we can just as easily and correctly suggest the sun has a habit of rotating the earth around it, the coffee has a habit of being bought and consumed each morning. The one implies the other. Physical law no more forces my action than I force the law. To put it more poetically, "trees show the bodily form of the wind". Or more explicitly, I alone am no more doing the thing recurrently that makes a habit, than any of the other elements of that action which are a part of it by necessity. At this point, what is determing and what is determined? Concepts are extremely useful but I think over-extending them can cause problems. I like this quote though:

Judge Dredd: I am the law!
vori1234

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 01:45 pm
@Ashers,
coffee has a habit of being bought and consumed each morning.

Well I didn't think of it that way but I agree with you. You could say that. Smile

This is why I don't really like using complex terms like habit because once you start using terms like this one everything goes upside down. This is because people invent terms like that one without giving them precise definitions. Terms start as something describing specific part of the nature (like habit is something often done by someone) and then when you try to generalize such term you end up in all sorts of trouble (like you wandering what is determing and what is determined).

This is why I try to keep my view of the world as simple as possible using the most simplest terms. You going toward a cup of coffee is completely the same as rock going down the mountain toward the bottom of the mountain. You, coffee, rock, mountain are only following rules of the physics interacting with each other. Simple as that.

But phylosophers do not use simple terms and simple language. In the above example they would start to argue if person is object going toward coffee being subject, or if coffee is object attracting with its smell person which is subject, or some other nonsense like this drowning themself in the sea of meaningles terms and relations then lead them further and further from the acctual truth.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 02:05 pm
@vori1234,
Quote:
Re: fresco (Post 3650950)

Correct. I saw some words on my monitor, that automatcily triggered complex interactions of my neurons in my brain following laws of physics which resulted in me posting a comment.

To which I can only reply
"balwevgACPP;;JWQKWOIJJ21HYA767hh28ddhhhh" Wink
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 03:06 pm
All hogwash!

Basically, the only thing you HAVE to do in life is die - everything else is a
choice with consequences.
vori1234

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 03:34 pm
@CalamityJane,
Why would you HAVE to die more then you need to do anything else?
Death is just something we weren't able to defeat YET.
In the future we might all have nano robots in our organisms constantly repairing our body.
Or we might be able to change our organism in the way that it simply doesn't gets old.
Or we might be able to create multiple clones of our self in a metter of seconds just like we copy discs today.

We only have to do what laws of physics tells us to do at any given moment.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » take responsibility!!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 03:37:38