Karma....maybe I'm putting out some of the good side lately

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 01:11 pm
I had a weird call today. My aunt said that some lady left a strange message for her looking for "Paul the songwriter." My aunt left a message for me, asking if I knew this person, and would it be okay to give her my number. She left the name. It rung a bell....it was a girl I knew in high school....we made out a little back then, and two things I recall were that she loved my tunes, and had the softest hands ever. She is now married, and wants to BUY one of my songs! Holy crap! I have the legal people already waiting to sort things out, but I was just blown away by the serendipitous nature of the whole thing, and the fact that she even remembered me. Whoa....I know there are some musicians amongst us, anyone gone through this selling song thing before?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,632 • Replies: 31
No top replies

jackie

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 01:16 pm
Congratulations "Paul".
I'm sure your songs are as salesworthy as anyones--- so there!! Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 01:21 pm
Let's hope so....I've only got lyrics and chords...anyway, it's a bit strange and creepy for me, so we'll see where it goes. I may need a transcriber.....didn't think about that....well, I was dusting out the closet a while ago, you can read a few of my songs, and plenty other cool ones here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9948
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 01:26 pm
Cav "Paul" I just signed on and saw your new post. Congratulations!!!!

If you remembered so much about her, why wouldn't she remember you? Soft hands, indeed.

I will be watching with interest as this progresses. Sorry I can't give you any advice as to song selling except to have a good lawyer.

BTW, is your last name Simon?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 01:31 pm
I'd be so excited. I've composed an written one song so far...I'm preparing it for copyright. Your song is nice. What kind of music goes with it? (rock, country?) I like STEPHANIE GOT MARRIED...it reminds me of a Dan Folgelberg tune.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 01:35 pm
Diane, no, not Simon....if it were, I wouldn't have as much debt. Laughing Most of my songs were sort of folksy, but simple enough they could be arranged for another style. I'll keep everyone informed.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 01:36 pm
Umm, I should mention, Mrs. cav has very soft hands as well.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 01:49 pm
That is absolutely freaky!

This same thing happened to me - except I am the girl. An old boyfriend who is a songwriter had given me a tape of some songs MANY years ago. I was playing one of the tapes at a party and one guy asked me about it. As it happened he asked me to contact the old boyfriend to see if he would be amenable to them using one of his songs. I called him and it was amazing. We had shared something very special all those years ago and it was a little strange talking to him after all this time and asking him to contact this other guy that was interested in his songwriting. I think he thought I was trying to hook back up with him. Anyway, he is coming to the U.S. for a visit next year and we agreed to keep in touch
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 01:56 pm
Amanda Marshall was a high-school friend of mine. Some other friend of ours bought a DAT machine, and she did some acapella stuff that he dubbed to cassette for all of us. Years later, when she broke big, I went to see her, and she signed the cassette, and also asked me to never ever release it to the public. Laughing Dunno why, she sounded great even back then. The dude with the DAT also recorded one of my cassettes, and it still sounds pretty good...Mrs. cav used to work in music publishing, so I am certain I can get the lowdown on that side of things. I want a little back-end residuals and publishing rights, not just a flat out sale....meanwhile, I await the call.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 03:21 pm
Wow! Congratulations. That's a nice turn of events.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 03:31 pm
You need to post this to the "What Made You Smile Today" thread! I'm smiling myself, just reading it. Way to go, Cav! (high five)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 04:19 pm
I suggest that all of you go to the link Cav provided. There are some wonderful lyrics to be found there.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 06:01 pm
Congrats Cav :-D
0 Replies

Beedlesquoink

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 09:16 pm
Hey Cav... you put the work out there and people go for it. At one point in the late eighties I had written a whole bunch of interrelated electronic music, (which was not something I'd really done before, it was just something I found myself interested in); as it happened I was using a lot of nature sounds... animal cries, weather and ocean sounds. By a total quirk of luck, some German electronic producers came where I was living, and chanced, through a friend to hear the work. Next thing I new, I had a disk out in Europe that sold pretty nicely for a few years.

You never know; but it's why you keep going.

Good luck with your work, friend.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 03:56 am
Well done cav !! And no I wont tell you what I have been selling lately Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:08 am
Well, chickie-doodle never called. I have a feeling I know why. My aunt is an oddball....also, her daughter, my cousin, is now in a band. My aunt didn't bother taking down any contact info for me, and dealt with the situation herself, then called me, and made of point of telling me that she made it clear to this woman that I was now a chef. Well folks, let's put two and two together. She also mentioned how my uncle helped my cousin sell a song.... Evil or Very Mad I swear she's Dracula, that aunt of mine....
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:17 am
Bummer. So do you think that the girl just took the song or lost interest?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:18 am
the music business is full of hopes and dreams which is wonderful....then having them dashed to the rocks......I have done major label showcases, had an album make the cutout bins...played in front of thousands, and been booed off stage....I have been close to the brass ring but never quite caught it....and I'm getting ready to give it another shot after a long lay off and will probably end up disapointed again and lose squinney's respect over it....but..........it gets in your blood......people don't write and perform because they want to....they have no choice.......don't stop writing no matter how well you do as a chef or you will feel something missing...........
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:27 am
Well Piffka, she couldn't have taken any song from me, as she has none, not even on tape. Nah, I think it was my aunt blocking me. BPB, I am thinking about starting to write songs again. I never stopped writing, but lately, it's mostly been poetry. Gotta crank up the Les Paul again...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 09:59 am
All ya need is a handful of chords.......it's all about how you put them together......

I have been stuck for lyrics lately and have a bunch of guitar stuff lying around waiting....all my lyrics lately are good...but so bitter and black that they belong to a death metal band and I'm old school metal....the lyrics I've been writing are what the muse has been giving me though...she must have a yeast infection....she's been cranky.....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Karma....maybe I'm putting out some of the good side lately
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.41 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:23:55