Strunk and White, 50 Years On

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 01:53 pm
Some choice excerpts from Geoffrey Pullum's"50 Years of Stupid Grammar Advice," a recent appraisal of Strunk and White's canonical Elements of Style from the Chronicle of Higher Education (17 Apr 2009):

Quote:
The Elements of Style does not deserve the enormous esteem in which it is held by American college graduates. Its advice ranges from limp platitudes to inconsistent nonsense. Its enormous influence has not improved American students' grasp of English grammar; it has significantly degraded it.

Quote:
Notice what I am objecting to is not the style advice in Elements, which might best be described the way The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy describes Earth: mostly harmless. Some of the recommendations are vapid, like "Be clear" (how could one disagree?). Some are tautologous, like "Do not explain too much." (Explaining too much means explaining more than you should, so of course you shouldn't.) Many are useless, like "Omit needless words." (The students who know which words are needless don't need the instruction.) Even so, it doesn't hurt to lay such well-meant maxims before novice writers.

Even the truly silly advice, like "Do not inject opinion," doesn't really do harm. (No force on earth can prevent undergraduates from injecting opinion. And anyway, sometimes that is just what we want from them.)

Quote:
We are told that the active clause "I will always remember my first trip to Boston" sounds much better than the corresponding passive "My first visit to Boston will always be remembered by me." It sure does. But that's because a passive is always a stylistic train wreck when the subject refers to something newer and less established in the discourse than the agent (the noun phrase that follows "by").

For me to report that I paid my bill by saying "The bill was paid by me," with no stress on "me," would sound inane. (I'm the utterer, and the utterer always counts as familiar and well established in the discourse.) But that is no argument against passives generally. "The bill was paid by an anonymous benefactor" sounds perfectly natural. Strunk and White are denigrating the passive by presenting an invented example of it deliberately designed to sound inept.

Quote:
"Put statements in positive form," they stipulate, in a section that seeks to prevent "not" from being used as "a means of evasion."

"Write with nouns and verbs, not with adjectives and adverbs," they insist. (The motivation of this mysterious decree remains unclear to me.)

And then, in the very next sentence, comes a negative passive clause containing three adjectives: "The adjective hasn't been built that can pull a weak or inaccurate noun out of a tight place."

That's actually not just three strikes, it's four, because in addition to contravening "positive form" and "active voice" and "nouns and verbs," it has a relative clause ("that can pull") removed from what it belongs with (the adjective), which violates another edict: "Keep related words together."

"Keep related words together" is further explained in these terms: "The subject of a sentence and the principal verb should not, as a rule, be separated by a phrase or clause that can be transferred to the beginning." That is a negative passive, containing an adjective, with the subject separated from the principal verb by a phrase ("as a rule") that could easily have been transferred to the beginning. Another quadruple violation.

Quote:
Simple experiments (which students could perform for themselves using downloaded classic texts from sources like http://gutenberg.org) show that Strunk and White preferred to base their grammar claims on intuition and prejudice rather than established literary usage.

Consider the explicit instruction: "With none, use the singular verb when the word means 'no one' or 'not one.'" Is this a rule to be trusted? Let's investigate.

* Try searching the script of Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest (1895) for "none of us." There is one example of it as a subject: "None of us are perfect" (spoken by the learned Dr. Chasuble). It has plural agreement.

* Download and search Bram Stoker's Dracula (1897). It contains no cases of "none of us" with singular-inflected verbs, but one that takes the plural ("I think that none of us were surprised when we were asked to see Mrs. Harker a little before the time of sunset").

* Examine the text of Lucy Maud Montgomery's popular novel Anne of Avonlea (1909). There are no singular examples, but one with the plural ("None of us ever do").

It seems to me that the stipulation in Elements is totally at variance not just with modern conversational English but also with literary usage back when Strunk was teaching and White was a boy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 847 • Replies: 5
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 08:35 am
@Shapeless,
Quote:
Some of the claims about syntax are plainly false despite being respected by the authors. For example, Chapter IV, in an unnecessary piece of bossiness, says that the split infinitive "should be avoided unless the writer wishes to place unusual stress on the adverb." The bossiness is unnecessary because the split infinitive has always been grammatical and does not need to be avoided. (The authors actually knew that. Strunk's original version never even mentioned split infinitives. White added both the above remark and the further reference, in Chapter V, admitting that "some infinitives seem to improve on being split.")

One should also note that "the split infinitive 'should be avoided unless the writer wishes to place unusual stress on the adverb'" is a passive construction.

I agree in general with the article. In terms of style, Strunk & White is harmless, albeit largely useless. "Be clear" indeed! It's more prescriptive grammar rules, however, are usually wrong.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 10:40 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
It's more prescriptive grammar rules, however, are usually wrong.

Of course, I meant to write: "Its more prescriptive grammar rules, however, are usually wrong.
Shapeless

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 11:30 am
@joefromchicago,
The bit about the passive voice has always bothered me, so I'm glad my doubts were validated. Pretty much the only part of the book I consult these days is the commonly misused words and expressions--stuff like the difference between "nauseous" and "nauseated."

Since reading the article I've been browsing Amazon for a different style guide to recommend to students. Any suggestions?
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 11:51 am
@Shapeless,
The Associated Press Stylebook answers a lot of knotty questions, such as the differences between "affect" and "effect." It does, however, have some stuff that is of little interest to non-journalists. I have the MW Dictionary of English Usage, although I hardly ever refer to it (my writing style is, at this point, incapable of improvement). There are plenty of stylebooks and usage manuals out there that probably do a better job than Strunk & White, although I'd stay away from Fowler.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 11:52 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:
It's more prescriptive grammar rules, however, are usually wrong.

Of course, I meant to write: "Its more prescriptive grammar rules, however, are usually wrong.
Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Strunk and White, 50 Years On
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 06:02:50