How long does it take to get used to a cpap machine?

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 03:41 pm
I've just been diagnosed with sleep apnea and have had a cpap machine delivered to my home. The first night, I couldn't go to sleep at all. Last night I fell asleep with the machine and stayed asleep for about two hours. I know some of you sleep with these machines. How long before you slept through the night with one?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 20,204 • Replies: 16
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 03:46 pm
Took me about a week when I first started using one.

And then I lost 40 pounds.
mags314772

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 04:15 pm
@DrewDad,
wow! That's certainly something to look forward to. What kind of mask do you have? I have the nasal pillows.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 04:17 pm
@DrewDad,
My Dad says he's had 3 different masks and now uses something called a nasal pillow. He said that one is the smallest but is only good if you aren't a mouth breather. There's also the full mask and then there's an intermediate kind which just goes over your nose. The nasal pillow (he showed it to me) is just kinda plugs that go in each nostril and then of course there's a big tube sticking out. He also said if he's up at, say, 5 AM, he'll often take it off and stop wearing it for the remainder of the night.

So -- essentially -- there's a light at the end of the tunnel and if you continue having problems maybe ask for a different mask as that may make a difference, assuming you can use one.
mags314772

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 04:21 pm
@jespah,
Well, I'm not a mouth breather, so that's good. Thanks, Jespah
0 Replies

Aldo

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 05:31 pm
I ahvwe been using a cpap for5 years now and I still have problems sleeping with it on. I wear a full mask and sometimes when I roll over to my side, the silicone seal leaks. The sound is like a fart and it always wakes me up. As for getting use to having the mask on your face, it took me almost a month.I usually read in bed first, so by the time I finally put the cpap on, I'm pretty drowsey. Hoped this helped.
mags314772

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 05:51 pm
@Aldo,
I have a great deal of trouble falling asleep, cpap or no. So I am looking forward to getting a sleeping aid to help me fall asleep.
0 Replies

lyackley

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 08:54 am
@mags314772,
I also was just diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and was given an auto cpap machine which uses the nasal pillows. I am also having trouble falling asleep but after two nights now I have managed to keep it on for about 4 hours. I read on here somebody lost 40 pounds - what is the connection between the machine and weight loss?
Joolia808

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:29 am
@mags314772,
Me too! I've had mine 3 weeks! I'm really struggling with it, feel like I'm suffocating and it keeps waking me up!!! I feel I'll in the morning! How have you been mags?
0 Replies

Joolia808

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 01:33 am
@Aldo,
Lol! I have the fart noise on my cheek too. I really must explain this to my husband.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 06:39 am
Lady Diane has been using a full face cpap for about 5 years, she sleeps better than she ever had before she got it.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 06:43 am
@lyackley,
Before the cpap, I was always exhausted. About six months after I started using it, my energy level shot up. I started exercising and started weight watchers.

Also, the nasal pillows irritate my nostrils. I switched to the nasal cup and I find it much more comfortable.
0 Replies

meiery1

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 05:55 am
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and started using the cpap about 1 week ago and I'm using the Resmed Ultra Mirage nasal mask but I can't get used to it if I make it tight it hurts my cheek bones if I loosen it then air comes out from between (I don't know if this a problem or not) maybe I need a different mask?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 06:02 am
@Joolia808,
Check out the different types of masks. When I went for my sleep study, I was given a choice of about a dozen different types of masks. I tried a few during the night, and picked the one that suited me best.
0 Replies

bonnie1953

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 06:59 am
To those of you that are struggling here is hope. It took me 2 trips back to the sleep center and 3 YEARS to get the right mask and the right calibration! But after finding the "Right" mask and right calibration I can now sleep with the machine ALL night. I gave up as some people due because I just could not find the right mask that I could be comforable with. So take heart and don't give up. I had no choice it was find a solution ot die from heart attack or stroke. B/P was dangerously high and now it is under control. The mask I would suggest to try is the new Zest. It is comfortable on my face and I do not get leaks.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2011 07:38 am
@dyslexia,
After my sleep study, I chose a full face mask. I found that it was a pain in the butt. More often than not, I could not get the mask to stay on without leaking.
So I went back to my "Comfort Select" nasal mask that I had used in the past, and it works well.

I had a problem in that I was breathing through my mouth, which defeated the purpose of the CPAP. I asked for a chinstrap, and they sent me one that was next to useless. So, I said "the hell with it", and bought this, on my own:

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/premium-chinstrap-mouthleak.html

When it is time for a new chinstrap, I will ask for that one, and hope that my insurance will pay for it.
0 Replies

jaywinston41

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 06:40 am
@DrewDad,
That's my hope but I'm not gonna rely too much on the hope.
I had mine delivered yesterday and I slept the night, though I woke up Anout five times to adjust the mask. They did say I adapted to the mask well at my sleep study.

Now let's hope that the sleep does allow me to start losing weight like you!
Congrats!!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How long does it take to get used to a cpap machine?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 07:08:41