I saw the movie Watchmen

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 09:16 pm
Amazing visuals and action and music. Some very compelling characters and drama. The first 2 hours are a freaking amazing thrill ride with some bad ass hard, core nitty gritty fighting. The vigilantes in this movie don't pull their punches, they kill and they kill with flair and all the heat and anger would come from being in a situation and dealing with the ugly side of life. This movie is not cleaned up or sanitized, it is bloody and seedy and shows the nasty side of things and earns it's R rating just like 300 did. Denny Duquet from Grey's Anatomy steals the show as the Comedian and he's only in about a third of the movie.

My buddy loved it the whole way thru, maybe becaue he was mesmerized by the blue cock showing in the screen...lol! But I have to admit that I thought the last 30 minutes or so dragged. Maybe I was getting tired since was 2 in the morning, I don't know. Don't let that discourage you from seeing it, it's an amazing spectacle of a film to watch even with that blue cock...lol!!

I already want to watch it again.
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,852 • Replies: 7
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 02:35 pm
@Primotivo,
I've been looking forward to this movie for a while now and I thought they did a very good job, given that the subject material was going to be difficult to translate to the screen.

The fight scenes were fantastic, especially the opening scene with the comedian and the "man in black".

I even preferred the ending the crafted for the movie over the original ending they used in the graphic novel. The movie version makes more sense.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 03:05 pm
@Primotivo,
Are these Marvel Comics characters.?
I personally got a real kick watching HANCOCK. A highly flawed superhero is great, IMHO.

Ill wait for the DVD, as I get older, Im no longer impressed with CGI unless it really is intertwined with the plot. (YES there must be a real plot). The last movies that had such intertwining were , HAncock and Master and Commander.
djjd62

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 03:09 pm
@farmerman,
it's a dc comic, but they are new characters to the original comic book, the original comic was a 12 issue self contained story

0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 09:28 am
I'm looking forward to watching it, although I have heard that it did drag a little (one of my friends said it took longer to watch Watchmen than read the comic). I'll find out for myself this weekend!
OGIONIK

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 05:02 am
@happytaffy,
i thought it was retarded ****.

dr manhattan was cool tho.

and roshaks mask. thats about it.
0 Replies

Sentience

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:33 am
@Primotivo,
The graphic novel "Watchmen" is one of my favorite pieces of writing of all time, my favorite graphic novel of all time hands down. It's based around ideas of moral absolutes (Rorschach) versus utilitarianism (Veidt, Manhattan), humanity and it's possible extinction, nuclear war and the cold war, and superheroes. Dr. Manhattan is one of my favorite characters of all time and all of the characters had extreme amounts of depth in their conception and their values, the book is extremely controversial, did I mention there's super heroes?

What more could you want?

Oh, also, I'd like to talk about the book vs. movie idea. While the book is obviously better in terms of symbolism and dialogue etc, simply because it's a book and not a movie, which did you prefer?

**SPOILER ALERT**

The comic one where Veidt created a biologically engineered super-octopus that explodes, or the movie where Veidt harnessed Manhattan's energy to destroy key areas of the world?

I personally preferred the movie idea (despite being a die-hard books>movies fan), because it used prior details (Manhattan's work with Veidt) instead of throwing something random in. Also, I think the symbolism of it being a non-biological weapon gives a greater affect. Okay, what I really think I was just trying to say was I think making super-alien-octopus-exploder-bomb is just stupid and sounding smart about it.
hipnek

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 09:43 am
@Sentience,
I was a fan of the book as well, having read the original comic books each month as they came out in the 80s. I kept up with production news as the movie was being made and was happy to hear that the director was trying to remain as faithful to the graphic novel as possible, even to the point of keeping the book in his hands throughout the process, so he could consult it at anytime. When early reviews stated that the ending was changed, I got worried, although I had wondered all along how well the giant dead space octopus would translate to the screen.

I agree with you that the new ending created for the movie is actually an improvement over the book's ending. It accomplishes everything that the original ending did, while tying it more closely to the character of Dr. Manhattan and how he was perceived by the world. The movie's ending did a much better job of bringing his story full circle.

I could not have been more pleased with how this movie turned out.
0 Replies