What is the best way to train a cat?

tonia

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 03:58 pm
I have been unsuccessful at training my daughters cat. The cat is disruptive and after three years doesn't even know its name. How can an unruly young cat be trained to be a little girls best friend and to not get on her parents nerves?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 3,179 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 04:13 pm
@tonia,
Animals have different personalities. Some cats are friendly, some aloof. Few cats come when they are called by name, they usually come if you make noise with their food or treats. Name response is more of a dog thing. What do you want to train the cat to do? I'm not sure what you mean by "disruptive". How do you want the cat to be your little girl's "best friend"? Is the cat aggressive? Why does it get on your "nerves"? Please give me some examples.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 04:20 pm
@tonia,
tonia wrote:

I have been unsuccessful at training my daughters cat. The cat is disruptive and after three years doesn't even know its name. How can an unruly young cat be trained to be a little girls best friend and to not get on her parents nerves?
taxidermy
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 04:22 pm
I don't think cats ever learn their names. Cat's aren't dogs.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 04:23 pm
@tonia,
tonia wrote:
How can an unruly young cat be trained to be a little girls best friend...?

Have the little girl feed the cat.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 04:36 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
I don't think cats ever learn their names. Cat's aren't dogs.

All the cats I ever lived with learned their names. Not that this meant they would jump to any order but when I say "Fiona" my cat knows I'm talking to her and will come over if she feels like it.

And if I say "Harry go get Fiona!" both of them understand it and Fiona gets ready for the attack or takes off while Harry gives chase.

But I didn't do anything to train her. Just called her Fiona enough till she figured it out.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 04:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I've always thought my cats were a bit dim.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 04:51 pm
@tonia,
after 3 years?

well have you thought of having it stuffed?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 06:20 pm
What is the best way to train a cat?

Electric shock . . . 50,000 volts at about one amp for, oh, say . . . two minutes ought to do the trick. The smell can be powerful, so i'd say do it out of doors.
0 Replies

tonia

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 06:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I had cats growing up that were very responsive to their given names, purring and acknowledging me when called. I am not sure why this cat remains so feral in its behavior. I wondered if food wasn't a way to train, but the cat will simply grab food treats and then slink away quickly. It seems to be a cat very attached to its natural behavior patterns... too bad, I had hoped to have a cat that would be attached to a 6 year old little girl.
0 Replies

tonia

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 06:46 pm
@Green Witch,
Food training was obvious for us, but with no real success. Food brings the cat into arms reach but the cat doesn't seem to be connecting us feeding it with us (if you know what I mean). The cat is not aggressive at all, just slinky?, it recoils from touch and never maintains eye contact unless your ten feet away. The cat has an annoying habit of running across your feet (think blood) and climbs to the top of our kitchen cabinets and meows...nonstop for hours, at 3am. My daughter has quit talking about the cat and if she does she refers to "the bad cat"- that in itself gets on my nerves because I enjoyed cats as a child. I am still hoping, with some novel training ideas, to convert this "problem" cat into my daughters pet and a regular house cat.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 06:52 pm
@tonia,
I think you have an aloof cat and it's unlikely to change. You might want to get another cat (two is as easy as one), but this time go to a shelter and get an adult cat. Tell the shelter people you want an affectionate, gentle cat. They will let your daughter hold the cats to see if she bonds with the kitty. The other cat can be just for show.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 07:16 pm
I was given a pet bed for my two cats. I trained them to use it by noticing where they slept, and placing the bed in that spot. Maybe my two cats are naturally trainable. I don't know?
Green Witch

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 07:24 pm
@roger,
It's sounds like they trained you, Roger.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 01:00 am
Yep - dat Roger's pretty well trained! Smile
0 Replies