BBB's furnace died but 4 hot air balloons floated overhead

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 10:41 am
Friday morning, my 12 year old furnace suddenly died. It would heat for 5 minutes than stop. 60 degrees in my house with my gas log fireplace struggling to heat my house. Got a service man to fix it about 4 pm. He finally figured out that the control board died. Is it a computer board? Probably not the correct name for the board, but it's electrical system controls the entire furnace.

The good news is that he found what was wrong. The bad news is that the store that carries the board fitting my furnace closed at 4 pm and won't open until Monday at 7 am.

I bundled up last night in bed with Dolly and Maddy dogs snuggled next to me. Woke up this morning in a very cold house. Went to Home Depot and bought a space heater, one of those oil radiator types. Got it put together and turned it on in my computer office. The room is starting to warm. I will cart the heater around the house to the rooms we're in.

While driving to Home Depot, I saw four hot air balloons overhead. The passengers must be freezing their butts off and are colder than inside my house. That's some concellation?

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 667 • Replies: 6
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 10:44 am
brrrr, stay warm and safe
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 11:17 am
I feel for ya, BBB.

Question: How do appliances know how to break down at the proper time so that repairing them becomes a drawn out thing? I thought they had no brains!
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 12:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Dys just called me. Said his furnace died exactly the same way mine has done. Cost him $500 to fix it. MOAN!

BBB

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 12:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
well frank, it's like the old joke

Q: what sits on a windowsill for 90 days humming, and then stops

A: an air conditioner with a 90 day waranty
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 12:15 pm
You know that old superstition "bad things happen in threes."

1. My TV died in January and couldn't be fixed.

2. In February my furnace died but can be fixed.

So I went into my garage this morning and had a long talk with my 1990 Volvo. "You had better not die old girl, I'm depending on you to out live me."

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 10:21 am
My furnace is fixed and I can unload my layers of clothing. Dolly and Maddy dogs like being warm again.

The fix involved was to replace the fixed speed furnace control board. The total part and labor cost plus tax was $582.11. My credit card is smoking.

BBB Smile
0 Replies