The republican lie about corporate tax rates

maporsche

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 10:19 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Corporations pay income tax on their profits, not on their sales or assets.

I was going to say that same thing.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 10:22 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

Corporations pay income tax on their profits, not on their sales or assets.

I was going to say that same thing.

Sigh. It's reasonable to assume that a company that is making sales is making profits, and one which has amassed a quarter billion in assets is also likely making profits.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Nice try, but that doesn't completely address the paragraph.

How many corporations with assets larger than 250 mil tax their profits as 'ordinary income?' This seems very unlikely to me and I'd love to see the examples of this. I understand that there are many small Corporations who do what you say, but large ones with large amounts of assets?

How much profit did they make on over a trillion dollars in sales?

Surely a reasonable amount. Why are they not paying taxes on that amount?

Cycloptichorn

I am puzzled by your response. In the absence of specifics (what corporation with $250 million in assets? What assets? How much profit (or loss) was incurred?) It is impossible to answer these questions either way. Despite this you seem strangely willing to believe something is wrong - and unwilling to believe that this may merely be the normal workings of JV/partnership type companies.

Assets, by the way can be many things that don't involve real money - accounts receivable (some uncollectable) ; potential oil or mineral reserves (as is the case in Joint Ventures for natural resources extraction); etc.

The existence of assets does not imply the necessity of profits. Same goes for sales. If you do somehow have the ability to prove that they do, I can assure you that there are huge opportunities awaiting you in the financial and accounting industries.

Corporate income tax law permits companies to do the equivalent of the "income averaging" available to individuals to enable them to balance gains and losses and to smooth out tax liabilities over peak years. Real losses can be amortized over several subsequent years, enabling a degree of income averaging for corporations. This may explain some of your concerns.

Similarly some politically favored activities are also exempt from taxation or otherwise eligible for special deductions - all rationalized by the desire of their political champions to "attract capital to socially beneficial activities". These prominently include some areas of scientific research; environmentally rationalized land setasides and products; and so-called green energy products.

Mostly your arguments, such as they are, lack specifics or even a plausible factual basis. What point are you trying to make?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:27 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Nice try, but that doesn't completely address the paragraph.

How many corporations with assets larger than 250 mil tax their profits as 'ordinary income?' This seems very unlikely to me and I'd love to see the examples of this. I understand that there are many small Corporations who do what you say, but large ones with large amounts of assets?

How much profit did they make on over a trillion dollars in sales?

Surely a reasonable amount. Why are they not paying taxes on that amount?

Cycloptichorn

I am puzzled by your response. In the absence of specifics (what corporation with $250 million in assets? What assets? How much profit (or loss) was incurred?) It is impossible to answer these questions either way. Despite this you seem strangely willing to believe something is wrong - and unwilling to believe that this may merely be the normal workings of JV/partnership type companies.

Assets, by the way can be many things that don't involve real money - accounts receivable (some uncollectable) ; potential oil or mineral reserves (as is the case in Joint Ventures for natural resources extraction); etc.
The existence of assets does not imply the necessity of profits. Same goes for sales

Corporate income tax law also permits companies to do the equivalent of the "income averaging" available to individuals to enable them to balance gains and losses and to smooth out tax liabilities over peak years. Real losses can be amortized over several subsequent years, enabling a degree of income averaging for corporations.

Some politically favored activities are also exempt from taxation or otherwise eligible for special deductions - all rationalized by the desire of their political champions to "attract capital to socially beneficial activities". These prominently include some areas of scientific research; environmentally rationalized land setasides and products; and so-called green energy products.

Mostly your arguments, such as they are, lack specifics or even a plausible factual basis. What point are you trying to make?

The article didn't provide enough specifics, but I think we can make some general inferences from the data given.

Question: why would any corporation who was making a profit, not pay any income tax at all, if the corporate tax levels are in reality too high? Let us ignore those 'corps' so small as to be essentially one-man operations who pay out everything to one individual.

It's reasonable to assume that companies are making SOME profits; if they are able to achieve a zero tax liability on those profits, can they be said to be overtaxed?

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The article didn't provide enough specifics, but I think we can make some general inferences from the data given.

Question: why would any corporation who was making a profit, not pay any income tax at all, if the corporate tax levels are in reality too high? Let us ignore those 'corps' so small as to be essentially one-man operations who pay out everything to one individual.

It's reasonable to assume that companies are making SOME profits; if they are able to achieve a zero tax liability on those profits, can they be said to be overtaxed?

Cycloptichorn

The article didn't provide ANY specifics.

Your statements above don't make any sense. Can you provide an example of a corporation that is truly making a profit that "pay(s) no income tax at all"? If so, can you show that it is not the result of normal and legal tax accounting?

It is not reasonable to assume that all companies "are making SOME profits". Some really do lose money in some years, thereby depleting assets and the value of their stockholder's investments.

Whether companies are overtaxed or not is a separate question and one that involves subjective judgements. You have not yet offered any coherent argument to suggest that they are undertaxed in this country, compared to others. Tax laws are very complex in most modern countries. Equitable comparisons are at best difficult to make. However given the corporate income tax rates applied by our Federal and state governments and the additional payroll taxes we apply to corporations, there is indeed a very strong case for the proposition that, on average, corporate profits are taxed to a greater degree in the United States than in European and many other countries.
maporsche

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
No, the conclusion you make is anything but reasonable.

GM has 110 billion in assets in the last reported quarter.
GM sold 165 billion over the last 12 months.
GM is NOT making a profit.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=GM
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/invsub/results/hilite.asp?Symbol=GM
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:57 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

The article didn't provide ANY specifics.

Your statements above don't make any sense. Can you provide an example of a corporation that is truly making a profit that "pay(s) no income tax at all"? If so, can you show that it is not the result of normal and legal tax accounting?

It is not reasonable to assume that all companies "are making SOME profits". Some really do lose money in some years, thereby depleting assets and the value of their stockholder's investments.

Whether companies are overtaxed or not is a separate question and one that involves subjective judgements. You have not yet offered any coherent argument to suggest that they are undertaxed in this country, compared to others. Tax laws are very complex in most modern countries. Equitable comparisons are at best difficult to make. However given the corporate income tax rates applied by our Federal and state governments and the additional payroll taxes we apply to corporations, there is indeed a very strong case for the proposition that, on average, corporate profits are taxed to a greater degree in the United States than in European and many other countries.

I didn't make the argument that US corporations are undertaxed at all, actually.

My point is, whether it is a matter of rates of taxation or 'normal and legal' tax loopholes and accounting, many if not most corporations are not overtaxed and there's not a lot of evidence that cutting their taxes is the right thing to do.

Of course, pro-business advocates argue that it is the right thing to do...

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

My point is, whether it is a matter of rates of taxation or 'normal and legal' tax loopholes and accounting, many if not most corporations are not overtaxed and there's not a lot of evidence that cutting their taxes is the right thing to do.

The problem Cyclops, and this happens a lot from people on both sides of the political isle, is that you're using numbers to support your conclusion that have nothing to do with your conclusion.

Speaking about sales and assets has nothing to do with taxes, considering that corporations pay taxes on profits.

I don't know that you're wrong, maybe 28% of corporations who make a profit don't pay any taxes either, but the information you brought in has nothing to do with anything we've been talking about.

You've got to be careful where you're getting this data from.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:34 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

The problem Cyclops, and this happens a lot from people on both sides of the political isle, is that you're using numbers to support your conclusion that have nothing to do with your conclusion.

Speaking about sales and assets has nothing to do with taxes, considering that corporations pay taxes on profits.

I don't know that you're wrong, maybe 28% of corporations who make a profit don't pay any taxes either, but the information you brought in has nothing to do with anything we've been talking about.

You've got to be careful where you're getting this data from.

Fair enough, sorry for the sloppy presentation.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 04:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I didn't make the argument that US corporations are undertaxed at all, actually.

Of course, pro-business advocates argue that it is the right thing to do...

Cycloptichorn

That at least is a testable and arguable proposition. "overtaxed and undertaxed" are judgements that imply a host of side issues relating to the desired size and intrusiveness of government in economic activities, and the desired distribution of whatever tax burden is chosen over individuals and businesses. In general it is how one evaluates those two basic questions that determines one's view as to whether corporations are overtaxed or undertaxed. Different points of view can lead to different, but still rational, conclusions.

So far the discussion here hasn't really touched on those basic (and arguable) questions. Instead we have been presented with biased polemics, based on unsupported statistics, taken out of context and misused to support the completely unfounded proposition that U.S. corporations are surely and significantly undertaxed both absolutely and relatively compared to their foreign counterparts. The proposition was presented as a matter of verifiable fact when the truth is it isn't a fact at all, and the question really involves several value judgements about which reasonable people can disagree.

My consulting company is owned 50% by a small group of managers of which I am one and 50% by an ESOP (employee stock ownership plan). The ESOP is represented by a third party trustee who oversees the evaluation of the company stock in its internal market, expressly for the benefit of the ESOP participants (all our employees). The company is governed by its management Board, but is compelled by law to treat the ESOP stockholders exactly as any other. Each year we contribute a stipulated % of salary to each employee in the form of vested company stock, which can be sold to the company when an employee leaves or retires or kept, at his/her discretion. Our books are audited by a third party (as in any company) and open for all to see and review.

We have very good tax lawyers and accountants who work hard to minimize our tax and liability exposure. During the last five years we have paid anywhere from 38.5 to 40.0 % of our pretax profits (including interest earned) as income tax. In addition, and unlike in some other countries, we pay a standard payroll tax equivalent to about one third of our pretax profits that is deducted as a cost before the profits themselves are calculated. We are doing very well now, but did have some substantial losses due to poor management about eight years ago. We have reduced our recent tax burden a bit by an accounting carry forward of portions of those losses to reduce the taxable profits of subsequent years.

This situation is also true of most consulting and professional service companies in the country in fields ranging from science and engineering to business management, accounting, IT services and many others. Are we and they undertaxed? overtaxed? The answer clearly depends on the level of taxation favored by the one making this judgement as well as his preferences for the optimal distribution of this taxation to individuals and corporations.

The question as to whether in the large universe of "corporations" of various kinds and subject to a variety of income tax laws (including no such tax at all) there are some having certain assets and sales that pay no taxes or very little, proves nothing at all with respect to these questions. That some people use this information in an attempt to "prove" something merely suggests that they are either ignorant of the facts; don't understand them; or are deceptively manipulating them to rationalize some preconceived opinion.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 07:52 pm
@georgeob1,
Dys stated that Republicans lie when they say corporations are overtaxed.
You disagree with Dys.

If as you state UScorporations pay a smaller tax portion than their counterparts in Europe it would show that Republicans are not telling the truth when they compare tax rates of US corporations to Europe, would it not?
georgeob1

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 09:10 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Dys stated that Republicans lie when they say corporations are overtaxed.
You disagree with Dys.

If as you state UScorporations pay a smaller tax portion than their counterparts in Europe it would show that Republicans are not telling the truth when they compare tax rates of US corporations to Europe, would it not?

It is clear that you either have not read or fail to understand both the question before us and what has already been written to correct its lack of meaning and to clarify the issue.

With that in mind, your absurd question simply doesn't merit the effort to answer it - if indeed there is an answer - or a question there.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 09:51 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
1. I reserve all rights to the term "cranky."
2. My question was Is the top statutory corporate tax rate typical of US corporations?
3. **** Finn.

I'd say that's bold talk from a hunch-backed old coot.

When and where is the next A2K gathering?

It's time for us to throw down Gabby!
0 Replies