"Drunken Negro Face" Cookies, Um, Yeah

djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 07:10 pm
Lafayette Bakery in NYC, whose cakes have been featured in InStyle magazine, Sex and the City, and in Spike Lee’s Jungle Fever (oh the irony)

UPDATE: "Drunken Negro Face" Cookies On Sale at Greenwich Village Bakery
http://gothamist.com/attachments/nyc_arts_john/012309cookie.jpg
[UPDATE BELOW] At at a time when any decent baker should have been selling racially harmonious black and white cookies by the truckload, one Greenwich Village bakery popular with celebrities and shows like Sex and the City has outraged neighbors by selling a "Drunken Negro Face" cookie in, um, "honor" of President Obama. A shocked customer tells My Fox NY that Ted Kefalinos, proprietor of Lafayette French Pastry, asked her, "Would you like some drunken negro heads to go with your coffee? They're in honor of our new president. He's following in the same path of Abraham Lincoln; he will get his."

Later, her friend stopped by the bakery and said Kefalinos corrected her about the name of the cookies"they're actually drunken "N-word" cookies. She says the backwards baker then repeated the dark suggestion that, like Lincoln, President Obama "will get what's coming to him." Go Secret Service, go!

And it gets worse when Fox's Arnold Diaz goes into the store with a camera and microphone to confront Kefalinos, who suddenly makes Joe the Plumber look like a Rhodes scholar. "I called them Drunken Negro Heads. What's the problem with that?" Kefalinos asks the newscaster with a smirk. "On Inauguration Day I thought it would be cool to change the name to Obama Heads. I just changed it for the day." We suppose Burning Cross Bananas Foster was too complicated to mass-produce.

Kefalinos denies intimating that Obama would be assassinated, and insists that the cookie is "not unflattering. I think it's a fun face... And anyone who says anything else should be ashamed of themselves." Besides, nobody got upset about the "Dead Geese Bread" he sold after the recent Hudson River plane crash. (We're NOT making that up.) Also, Kefalinos insists he can't be racist because, for one thing, "my brother-in-law, he's Cuban." Below, behold the breathtaking train wreck of racist ignorance.

UPDATE: We just spoke with Kefalinos on the phone and he remains utterly oblivious, telling us, "This whole thing was blown out of proportion." He says he's sold out of the "Drunken Negro Cakes" and doesn't plan to make anymore, despite the fact that many customers have been requesting them (he claims). When asked whether he understands that most African-Americans find the word "negro" offensive, Kefalinos explains, "It's a French word. It comes from the French."

Community Board 2 was quick to call for a boycott of Lafayette French Pastry, to which Kefalinos responds, "I'm sorry they feel that way because I was trying to do a nice thing." Not seeming to grasp in any way the degree of outrage he's sparked, he added, "I did it and that's the end of it and it's over."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,192 • Replies: 20
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 07:16 pm
One only hopes he has not bred.
djjd62

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 07:27 pm
@jespah,
the radio program i first heard the story on, were speculating that he was trying to be outrageous and failed miserably, hard to believe someone who's had the success he's had can be that much of a tool
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 07:52 pm
@jespah,
Great pun (that was meant as a pun, right?).
shewolfnm

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 08:55 pm
I think he was going for some kind of publicity.. hoping for more fame.. and just failed miserably.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 09:52 pm
@ebrown p,
Eek, I just realized it was a pun. D'oh!

Now that was meant to be a pun. Wink
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 11:51 pm
Um,

yeah, okay...

...damn.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:32 am
There will always be assholes.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:39 am
I'm just glad that this fiasco got the publicity it did. We can now fervently hope that all the brouhaha will drive the Lafayette Bakery out of business. The place was popular with celebrities? What celeb would now want to be associated with this kind of racism?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:43 am
if these guys are recent immigrants and hang around only immigrants they likely don't realize how uptight Americans are about race. Americans long ago lost the ability to take a joke about many things.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:46 am
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
I'm just glad that this fiasco got the publicity it did. We can now fervently hope that all the brouhaha will drive the Lafayette Bakery out of business. The place was popular with celebrities? What celeb would now want to be associated with this kind of racism?

celebs for the most part are artists, they care about the creative process and appreciate creative people, even when the creation offends the sensibilities of the masses. I suspect that this bakery has over time been very creative. However in this case they will be shamed into boycotting.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:50 am
@hawkeye10,
what a delightfully asinine statement

most of the world is more uptight about race than north america

ever heard of bosnia/herzvogina, any number of african and pacific countries where they have this pass time they call ethnic cleansing

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:00 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
most of the world is more uptight about race than north america

ever heard of bosnia/herzvogina, any number of african and pacific countries where they have this pass time they call ethnic cleansing

and they come to america, the great melting pot, thinking that they are coming to the land where there are no classes and where the streets are paved in gold. They don't when they get here see or hear much of the racial strife that they have known all of their lives and so the idea of america that they came to america with seems true. It is only after they act like america is melted that they find out otherwise, that these truths have been driven underground by the politically correct culture.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 03:34 pm
Again...there will always be assholes.
snood

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 08:51 pm
@eoe,
very timely the second time
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:21 pm
I don't have any formation of words to say about these cakes.

I've read some about pc ness and insult comedy, and we have our own many threads on a2k about insults - and I've moved on my view to the extent of getting both or more sides on comedy, much more understanding re edge pushing - I've liked some edge pushers in the past but have had some qualms. Still do, but making more room for understanding it.

But, I'm still amazed by these cakes. Seem both clueless and vile.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:02 pm
in the creators own words here
http://www.zimbio.com/Racist+Obama+Cookie/articles/3/Racist+bakery+owner+kinda+apologizes+drunken

he does not appear to be new to america, so I don't get it.
eoe

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 09:53 am
@hawkeye10,
what don't you get?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 12:28 pm
@eoe,
Quote:
what don't you get?

probable motivation
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 02:24 pm
How about being an asshole?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » "Drunken Negro Face" Cookies, Um, Yeah
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 07:50:11