Dr. Lowery's Benediction

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 11:43 am
Lowered the tone of the entire inauguration with his last poem ending with let white embrace what's right. The whole theme of unity slightly undermined. It sounded bitter, smug and snarky.

It was also stupid because it will give the CJHSA/Waterboy/Gungasnake types ammunition to denigrate the message which was otherwise so inspiring and uplifting.

IMO.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 752 • Replies: 16
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 11:46 am
well look at it this way. Noone was told what message to carry. They even let Aretha wear that stupid hat!!.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 11:48 am
that seems to be common ground between conservative and liberals....aretha's hat. Laughing
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:08 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I found the opening invocation as well as the benediction annoying. I can't help it, but something about watching 21'st century adults pandering to an immortal supernatural being as though they were a little kid whimpering to their Dad, just makes me cringe in embarrassment for humanity.

I know I know, lots of people really believe it, and need to hear it, and they have a right to their beliefs, but damn it's painful to watch.

But I'm glad Barak is finally in. Now let the show begin.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:11 pm
@rosborne979,
I consider that an entirely different issue for a different debate.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:12 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
You want me to delete it? The Button is still there...
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:12 pm
@rosborne979,
well of course not....why would I?
rosborne979

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:15 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

well of course not....why would I?

Because I didn't want to derail your thread if you had a different direction planned for it.

Too late anyway, the delete button seems to have disappeared.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:16 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

I found the opening invocation as well as the benediction annoying. I can't help it, but something about watching 21'st century adults pandering to an immortal supernatural being as though they were a little kid whimpering to their Dad, just makes me cringe in embarrassment for humanity.

I know I know, lots of people really believe it, and need to hear it, and they have a right to their beliefs, but damn it's painful to watch.

But I'm glad Barak is finally in. Now let the show begin.

I thought it was embarrassing too. And Barack kept his eyes closed tight. But not Michelle. (Clearly a heathen). Anyway good luck Mr Obama, and good luck the United States, on this auspicious day.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:16 pm
no worries
rosborne979

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:19 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
no worries

Agreed. Religious pandering (otherwise known as Public Prayers) are a minor annoyance on an otherwise very hopeful day Smile
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:23 pm
@rosborne979,
Consider that the quality (or lack of) of the message is not diminished or changed simply because one does not agree with the beliefs of the messenger.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:29 pm
Hey! I liked Aretha's hat! She's Aretha for gawds sake, and she can wear whatever she wants! Smile
LionTamerX

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:32 pm
@squinney,
I thought Aretha's hat was badass.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:32 pm
Obama may be president but Aretha's the queen
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:34 pm
@squinney,
I liked Aretha's hat too. I would have liked her mouth if she'd kept it shut. And why was she singing "God save the Queen?"
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:59 pm
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:

I liked Aretha's hat too. I would have liked her mouth if she'd kept it shut. And why was she singing "God save the Queen?"

May I repeat

Obama may be president but Aretha's the queen
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Dr. Lowery's Benediction
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 12:15:59