The Czech skill for irony and sarcasm appreciation society

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:25 pm
@dagmaraka,
I know I would enjoy seeing this - plus seeing the city, given your photos - and plus checking out an extensive beer selection. Ah, well...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:33 pm
@CalamityJane,
My thought is that the exhibit could be enlarged, even multiply enlarged, both with artists and countries or regions. Total chaos could result, which would make it an interactive chaos theory playground.

Excuse me if this has all been mentioned before - I'm just finding this thread and getting a kick out of it. Still on page 1.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 05:34 pm
@dagmaraka,
On Havel... Oh, noooooo.
dagmaraka

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 06:05 am
@ossobuco,
Eh, CJ, it's not brussels that's outraged. It's the Bulgarian representatives, Slovaks...some others..those that were made fun of. Understandably on one hand, but also sadly on the other. It is healthy to have some sense of humor about self....but then there would be much less ground for stereotypes.

Here's an article by Slavenka Drakulic (a wonderful writer) that sums it up nicely:

Grand coup de toilette

Czech artist David Cerny's installation in Brussels has revealed the strength of old cold war hostilities between EU nations

Slavenka Drakulić
o guardian.co.uk, Sunday 18 January 2009 13.00 GMT
o Article history

Some 10 years ago I published Café Europa, a book of essays on the post-communist life. One of the stories was about my visit to the bathroom of Nicolae Ceausescu's daughter Zoe and the condition of toilets in Romania in general. Even in a very well-known restaurant, visiting the ladies' was a risky decision: "Closing a door behind you, you begin to choke on the sharp stench of urine as you desperately try to find a dry patch on the flooded floor," I wrote. "And then you have to pull a dirty piece of rope in order to splash the water. Soap is nowhere to be seen and toilet paper seems to be a completely unknown thing. There is not a single public toilet in Bucharest where you would find it."

When this story was published in the Italian daily La Stampa, the Romanian ambassador to Italy immediately wrote an angry letter to the newspaper. In it, he attacked me as a malicious individual who wanted to damage the pride of his homeland.

The uproar over Czech artist David Cerny's art installation in the European council building in Brussels reminds me of this episode. Toilets still seem to be touchy subjects, at least for some post-communist countries.

The idea of commissioning sculptures from 27 countries based on the prejudices they harbour about each other was interesting " even amusing. The result was, of course, controversial, and Bulgaria became the centre of the outrage: the eight-ton sculpture in the form of a map, named Entropa, featured a "Turkish" toilet in Bulgaria's location.

Bulgarian delegates at the EU immediately produced an official objection, and the culture ministry declared that they had nothing to do with the display and had not selected Cerny themselves. According to the Standart newspaper, Betina Joteva, press officer at Bulgaria's Brussels office, said the "ridiculous piece of art offends the national dignity of the Bulgarians and shows really bad taste", and insisted on its immediate removal.

This unsubtle call for censorship implies that if the Bulgarian cultural bureaucrats had selected an artist to represent the country, they would most certainly not have represented it as a toilet. By issuing this official objection 20 years after the fall of communism in Bulgaria, the bureaucrats at the culture ministry " much like the Romanian ambassador in La Stampa " reveal that they haven't yet heard that art should be an act of freedom, not a propaganda tool, regardless of how tasteless or offensive a particular work might be. Such objections have no meaning except to remind Bulgarians and the rest of the world that the political system might change overnight, but the old way of thinking is alive and well.

However, this was not the end of the story: another scandal followed. Cerny admitted that he and two friends created the whole sculpture and invented the names of the other artists who were supposed to contribute to it. "No other country in Europe has those kinds of toilets," he said in an interview. Clearly, he has never visited Trieste. I squatted in one such toilet in a Trieste cafe very recently. "Turkish toilets" are common in that part of Italy.

Apart from creating a successful worldwide advertising campaign for himself, by tricking his political masters Cerny has pulled off an admirable coup. He has reminded us that politicians are usually people who earn their living by lying to the people who elect them. By creating an enjoyable distraction for the media in the middle of the "cold" war over Russian gas, Cerny proved that Europe " east and west " neither laughs nor forgives.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 08:06 am
I think anyone seeing a swastika in the Germany display is being hyper-sensitive.
dagmaraka

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:11 am
@DrewDad,
well, it's at best a speculation. the author swears he had no intention of even hinting at a swastika -- so whoever sees it there is speculating... perhaps somewhat rightly, perhaps entirely wrongly, but speculating.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:34 am
@dagmaraka,
Lines, connected to other lines, on an image of Germany.

Swastika!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 11:58 am
Czechs cover Bulgaria's shame

http://i41.tinypic.com/2nj9d3l.jpg
Quote:
BY OUR CORRESPONDENT TIJN SADEE*
20-01-2009
The Bulgarians were livid with rage last week following the unveiling of a work of art entitled "Entropa" in the entrance hall of the European Council in Brussels. This grotesque mosaic by Czech artist David Cerny portrays Bulgaria as a filthy squat toilet. In other words, as Europe's latrine.

The other member states were also the butt of Cerny's humour. The Netherlands is a sunken land with only a few minarets breaking the surface. France is covered by a banner reading "On strike!"
However, no one protested except the Bulgarians. The Bulgarian government demanded an apology from the Czech Republic, which currently holds the rotating EU presidency and is responsible for Cerny's provocative stunt. Apologies were apparently not enough, though, since on Tuesday a cherry picker drove into the EC entrance hall and draped the Bulgarian toilet with a black curtain.

It hardly seems a sensible move. Being made a mockery of by someone else is bad enough. But now the Bulgarians are making themselves look foolish.
* RNW translation (imm)

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 11:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
And earlier:
Czech president wants govt to distance itself from Entropa
Quote:
Prague - Czech President Vaclav Klaus has asked the government to publicly distance itself from the Entropa controversial sculpture by David Cerny that was last week unveiled in the EU Council's seat in Brussels within the Czech EU presidency, Klaus's spokesman Radim Ochvat told CTK.

Klaus's wrote a letter to the government in this respect last Wednesday that was released on the website of the Euro weekly today.
The Entropa installation of stylised maps of the EU member states, each presenting various cliches and stereotypes the states are linked with, has stirred up both criticism and admiration as well as a diplomatic conflict.

Cerny first informed the Czech government officials that he participated in the art project along with another 26 artists from the EU member states each of whom created his/her own country's vision, but in the end it came out that those were fictitious persons and that Cerny was the sole author of the artifact and he mystified both the public and Czech Deputy Prime Minister for European Affairs Alexandr Vondra.

Bulgaria sharply protested against being depicted as a country covered with "Turkish (squat) toilets" and demanded that its "map" be immediately removed from the installation.

Klaus wrote in his letter to the cabinet that he had already apologised to his Bulgarian counterpart Georgi Parvanov for the incident in a personal letter to him.

"I consider it necessary that the government publicly distance itself from this unfortunate event and apologise to our partners - representatives of the Bulgarian Republic and its public at first place," Klaus writes in his letter to Prime Minister Mirek Topolanek.

Cerny, who has created the map of Czech Republic with a display in the middle screening Klaus's Eurosceptical statements, later explained that he wanted to test whether Europe was able of self-mockery.

Klaus said in his letter he can accept neither the method nor content of the event.
"I am very surprised that the case could occur when an artifact created as a personal initiative of an artist and a private investor is presented as an official stance of our country. I consider this way of 'privatising' the Czech EU presidency unacceptable and inappropriate," Klaus stressed.

He also wrote that he was shocked by the fact that the artifact and its "controversial and offensive impression" had not been consulted with the government.
"I fear the idea that a similar voluntarist way of presentation of the Czech Republic is possible for our government members in other cases as well," Klaus said.

The Entropa artifact cost some 12 million crowns of which the state paid about two million, while the remaining 10 million crowns were covered by NWR company one of whose shareholders is businessman Zdenek Bakala, the daily Lidove noviny (LN) reported.

"I sincerely cannot accept either the content of what he (Klaus) says or the method how he has become the president," Cerny wrote in an SMS sent to CTK in reaction to Klaus´s words.

Cerny apologised to both Bulgarians and Vondra during the public presentation of his art installation in Brussels last Thursday.

"If I wanted to offend someone, it was Vaclav Klaus because he is offending Czechs," Cerny said.
($1=20.467 crowns)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 12:04 pm
oh good god.... they're smearing it all over badly. not very smart. some czech representatives owned it up (at least at first) - i appreciated that. blech.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:44:27