Inside the mind of an autistic savant

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 07:55 pm
Inside the mind of an autistic savant

Quote:
Autistic savant Daniel Tammet shot to fame when he set a European record for the number of digits of pi he recited from memory (22,514). For afters, he learned Icelandic in a week. But unlike many savants, he's able to tell us how he does it. We could all unleash extraordinary mental abilities by getting inside the savant mind, he tells Celeste Biever

An interesting article worth reading.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 572 • Replies: 13
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 08:01 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Wow, that's cool!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:07 pm
Truly interesting. I was always curious to know what exacly being autistic meant. I knew somewhat what it was, but was never clear on it.
It was a very good read.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 01:23 am
Now he can recite thousands of numbers of pi in Icelandic! Cool!
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 04:11 am
@NickFun,
wow with how he put it i totally understood a little part..

like how words rhyme i think is what he means by texture...

i could be mistaken
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 07:55 am
Nigel gave me a copy of Tammet's Born on a Blue Day. Nigel had read it
and been fascinated not only by Daniel Tammet but by how many parallels
there were between the way Daniel and Nigel's own brother, my son Clive
thought.

Tammet's unique ability to express himself helped the relationship between my
sons and between Clive and me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 08:13 am
Very interesting!

When he started talking about lumpy numbers I thought about synaesthesia and sure enough he mentions it a few lines down.

I've often wondered if people who experience synaesthesia know that they do or if they think everyone experiences the world the way they do.
Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 08:16 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
I've often wondered if people who experience synaesthesia know that they do or if they think everyone experiences the world the way they do.

That's a good question. I suspect that many people, and perhaps most, assume that everyone else experiences the world as they do.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 08:32 am
I think so too, Set.

That's one of the things that makes his invented language so interesting; he is obviously aware that he sees things differently.

What if we all see things diffently and we've simply learned to lable what we see as "green" or "blue" because that's the language we've been taught to use.
Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 08:37 am
That's a huge philosophical ball of wax, with some commentators going to the extreme of claiming that reality only exists as a function of language. One of the surest ways of demonstrating that people tend to believe that others perceived the world as they do is through doctrinal religious or political discussions. People with, just for examples, a "christian" viewpoint, or a "conservativ" viewpoint, assume that everyone else who claims a christian or a conservative viewpoint thinks as they do--and yet they will often disagree, and often rather quickly, and sometimes rather bitterly, when they get into a discussion of cases and details. You can see it in the religious and political discussions here.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 08:40 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

What if we all see things diffently and we've simply learned to lable what we see as "green" or "blue" because that's the language we've been taught to use.

I've wondered that also.

Really interesting article, I'd like to look for that book he wrote.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 01:22 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Hey! As a kid, when I learned the concept of color blindness and realized we don't all see things the same I would trip out about this. It was an obsession of mine when I was around 8.

"Ok, guys, huddle around."
"See this?" Laying out colored paper.
"What color is this?"
"Red right?"
"Ok, but how do you know that I don't see the color you call blue?"

Luckily the concept of infinity came along ("What do you mean God always existed?") and I stopped bothering people about it.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 01:27 pm
saw this guy on 60 minutes (or some info show) about a year or so ago

interesting stuff
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 09:55 pm
@djjd62,
this stuff is so interesting, last night at the bar this lady called one of my friends an indigo child, im not sure he is but it rekindled my interest in the subject...

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Inside the mind of an autistic savant
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/21/2024 at 12:28:49