6.1 earthquake in Costa Rica

Izzie

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 06:28 pm
@Izzie,
Gotta go bed now...

Hope that everything calms down for you there Rob and you all stay safe mate. Don't take any chances a?

Take care - will check in first thing.

Be safe. x
ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 06:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Good on the construction crew..

I've been in some serious rockers but don't remember quite your series of aftershocks. Eeew.

How are Harry and Fiona taking all this?
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 06:39 pm
@Izzie,
I think most of the ones I've been in lasted less than 15 seconds. Only a few might have been pushing 30 seconds.

This one was weird because for at least two hours the shocks kept coming every few minutes.
Izzie

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 06:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Keep safe. x
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 06:58 pm
@Izzie,
If you watch the video I posted you can see the whole thing live for yourself. Watch the news reporters. The shaking starts about 1 second into it and stops around 14 seconds later. The quake itself is usually only several seconds and the rest of the movement is from either liquifaction or taller buildings swaying.

Once you've felt a big one, it isn't something you look forward to ever feeling again As a kid in the San Francisco East Bay I remember a few quakes that were big enough to rattle the dishes in the kitchen cabinets and I remember my mom running to the kitchen to attempt to hold the cabinet doors closed so the dishes wouldn't fall out.

For the '89 Loma Preita quake I was in Oakland in the corporate office, talking on the phone with someone at a branch office in Concord as I was packing up my stuff and heading home for the day. We felt the quake first, and I remember telling him that and him not feeling anything, then a couple seconds later he felt it and I said I was hanging up and getting under the desk. I was the safety monitor for our floor and kept yelling for everyone to get under their desks. The building shook from side to side as well as up and down. I think the side to side motion was the quake and the up and down motion was from the movement of the building structure. Two of the lateral filing cabinets in my office flipped over as did a tall bookcase. In the outer offices, we had panels from the drop ceiling fall out and the desk surfaces in cubicles collapsed to the floor. In one corner of the building the sheetrock and building frame separated. The odd thing was all the furniture that fell over all fell in the same direction. It was as if a huge hand had pushed against the side of the building and everything fell over in that direction. Our building floats over an underground garage and it felt like the building was going to sink right through it. We then heard and felt the collapsing of the freeway and people running toward the freeway yelling for help. We were afraid to leave the building until we felt it safe to do so. We had to call all 35 of our branch offices and get damage reports from each of them and set up phone trees to tell employees not to attempt to come to work the next day and suggest they be with their families. A couple hours later driving home that night, there were no lights anywhere, no traffic lights, nothing. Vehicles weren't allowed onto the freeways so we had to drive through surface streets. All along the way there were buildings that had collapsed or that had massive damages to the facades. There were piles of debris in the streets that you had to swerve around and you had to be very careful because idiots were plowing through intersections from all directions not realizing there weren't any lights until it was too late. I finally made it home about 6 hours later and then drove to my mom's condo to check on her. I missed being on that collapsed freeway by about 5 minutes. One of the guys I worked with was down the hall on the toilet at the time of the earthquake. When he came back to the office his face was very pale and his pants were soaked with toilet water that had splashed out of the bowl from the quake motion. From my office window I can see the big water fountain in the square below. Most of the water in the fountain had been shook out of the fountain.

Gah, that sensation is etched into my brain. Typing that out was almost like reliving it all again. Like I said, it isn't a sensation I ever look forward to experiencing again. We knew what it was, but we'd never felt one as strong as that before and felt so little control of the situation or our fears. We had some emergency supplies in our office as well as written emergency procedures, but after experiencing the quake, we were woefully inadequately prepared. It was a good wake up call. We implemented more thorough emergency planning and supplies in each of our branch offices because of that quake.

I can't even imagine the terror for people who are inside buildings that have collapsed around them.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 09:36 pm
Seems like there have been a lot of aftershocks, I have been feeling them every since:

Quote:
Several aftershocks -- some of a 4.0 magnitude -- have been reported and seismologists warned of other possible earthquakes in the hours to come.

"I have been sitting here watching my monitors and we have had more than 600 aftershocks in the past three hours," said Victor Gonzalez, a seismologist with the observatory.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/01/08/crica.quake/index.html

What an odd headline to be released when there are only two deaths confirmed nationwide...

No Canadians killed in Costa Rican earthquake

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Canadians+killed+Costa+Rican+earthquake/1156311/story.html

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 09:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
Appreciate your record of that. Fbaezer has also recorded his experience of the/a major one in mexico city here on a2k.

Weird re the canadian headline..

For Costa Rica, maybe this is a notice warning - not that I think earthquakes haven't happened there before. But in LA, there have, in recent decades, been sequential batches of earthquake proofing required in housing, and there is much sturm and drang on that right now in San Francisco - and I think Mexico City also made big construction requirement changes, but Fb knows more on that.

My bro in law is a senior/senior building inspector in LA and I wish I could get his luddite self online, if only for this kind of situation - not so much for right now, but for a city to do after.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 10:10 pm
@Robert Gentel,
There was just another, felt like a 3. I wonder how long this is going to last.

And a 5.0 just hit San Bernadino according to folks on Twitter.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 10:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
off to check map..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 10:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry, I missed a page, pah to self! Just read up on Harry and Fiona, also about the japan experience.

I've lain in bed many times while the room moved and it had nothing to do with lovemaking. For some reason, I never got up and moved to under desks or to doorways. I just watched.
So far, so good.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 03:17 am
@Robert Gentel,
Morning from the UK..... all quiet over there?
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 03:55 am
@Izzie,
I think the strangest thing I have ever seen was during the last earthquake in Hilo was a large banyan tree that began to thrash violently. It was really a wierd noise and there was no wind. The hallway in my building which is concrete with carpet began to do a snake dance.

The strongest one I've been in was a six pointer. Fascinating, but scary.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 08:03 am
@ossobuco,
Here's Fbaezer's recounting of the Mexico City quake now nearly 25 years ago:

http://able2know.org/topic/59745-1
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 09:58 am
Death toll in Costa Rica quake rises to 14 victims
By MARIANELA JIMENEZ " 1 hour ago

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (AP) " The death toll from a strong earthquake that rocked Costa Rica has risen to 14 with at least 10 people still missing, the Red Cross said Friday.

The magnitude-6.1 quake shook the Central American nation Thursday afternoon, collapsing homes and setting off landslides that blocked major highways.

Red Cross official Cristian Aase said he expects the death toll to continue to climb.

"We just got a report of another 18 possible deaths in the remote area of Cinchona, but we can't confirm those until we get there," he said. "We also have another 10 missing."

Among the dead are two young sisters killed by a landslide near the city of Alajuela, north of the capital. A woman in the capital, San Jose, died of a heart attack.

Hundreds of others were injured.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the temblor was centered 22 miles (35 kilometers) northwest of San Jose, near the Poas Volcano National Park.

It was felt strongly throughout the small country, and thousands of people ran frightened from homes and shopping centers. There were at least four aftershocks.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 10:08 am

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 02:07 pm
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/2009/01/it-has-been-fiv.html

Costa Rica earthquake: the heart-wrenching aftermath
10:24 AM, January 13, 2009

It has been five days since a devastating earthquake struck Costa Rica, and there are people outside the country who have yet to make contact with family and friends.

Leland Baxter-Neal, a reporter with Costa Rica's English-language newspaper, the Tico Times, has been reading comments on Outposts and this morning sent me a note that might be of interest to those still trying to locate loved ones, and to those who have developed close relationships with residents of the beautiful Central American nation.

From Leland:

I've been covering this disaster for The Tico Times since it struck last Thursday and was in the area walking through some of the damaged towns (Fraijanes and Poasito) and talking with evacuees and officials at a shelter/tent camp/rescue command post. Perhaps I can help your readers get a better idea of what happened, and what is happening.

First off, to all the readers that are worried about friends and family traveling, studying or living down here in Costa Rica: there is a 99% chance they are fine. If they were in any part of the country except for a small radius near the Poas Volcano, they did not feel much more than a startling shake, if even that.

The only tourist area that was affected was the La Paz Waterfall Gardens, and the Peace Lodge Hotel, which are right next to each other. I spoke with the manager of that hotel today who said the worst injury was a woman with a broken ankle. He said there were no deaths at the hotel or in the gardens.

The Tico Times spoke with the U.S. Embassy Monday evening and they had no reports of missing U.S. citizens or the deaths of U.S. citizens. The overwhelming chances are your loved ones are fine, and do not even know you are concerned.

The locals have not been as lucky. The official death toll at last count was 17. Another 20 are missing. There are some truly sad stories, and this nation sees this as a very serious tragedy. The president has declared a national emergency, and a period of national mourning. Festivals have been canceled and flags are flying at half mast.

Rescue teams are digging through landslides as I write this, searching for bodies. Thousands are sleeping in tent camps, schools or churches. Hundreds of houses have been totally destroyed.

In Poasito, several of the houses I visited were total losses. The area is mountainous and steep, and many of the communities are low in valleys or high on bluffs, and the earth is now filled with faults and could come tumbling down disastrously with a much smaller tremor, which are common in this country. Just last night there were two tremors, one measuring 2.8 and the other 4.3, in the affected area. We're unsure still if these have caused further damage.

The government yesterday pegged the economic damage at $100 million, a steep figure for such a tiny country. The infrastructure losses are serious, with bridges and entire stretches of highways gone. One of the country's more important hydroelectric power plants is out of service.

The bright spot, however, has been outpouring of help. Stacks of clothing, food, pet food, medicine and supplies have been piling up at businesses and emergency centers across the country. Costa Ricans pride themselves on their solidarity with the less fortunate, and have proven it in the last several days.

More help is needed, because the recovery is just beginning. I encourage your readers to check our website, www.ticotimes.net for regular news updates and information on how to help.

Saludos,

Leland Baxter-Neal
0 Replies

johnboy

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:01 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Dear Robert Gentel,
Read all the news of earthquakes in the world, most of them being in china because they are only budhists and zaoists. The Lord God wants all nations to worship him. All earthquakes are specific to nations that dont believe in Jesus and have them in their hearts. Look at a Bible, there are 18 scriptures there alone where God disciplined the Jews with them. What about the recent ones in Rome and Mexico.....uhmmm what is the majority of people in costa rica...does this help any?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:05 pm
@johnboy,
wow.

does it ever...

thanks so much.

do you do speaking engagements?

(btw, you are not by chance related to the other johnboy here at a2k, are you?)
johnboy

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:09 pm
@Rockhead,
what do you mean speaking engagements or alter calls. just pass on the info. God Bless
roger

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2010 07:10 pm
@Rockhead,
Somehow, I'm having the vague suspicion this is a different johnboy.

Now, I'm wondering where that Christian nation is that doesn't have earthquakes. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind too much if the windows rattled now and then.
0 Replies