Do It Yourself Plumber here - HELP - tank to bowl leaking

mismi

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:27 pm
Okay - the stopper (please excuse my lack of technical terminology) that lets the water out when you flush went bad on the toilet in the boys bathroom. So the water was running all the time and cost us about $30 last month. So, being the enterprising person I am decided to fix it myself.

I bought a new flushing mechanism - the works - ALL the guts to the toilet. And I replaced it. Now it is leaking on the outside - I think I don't have one of the gaskets tight enough...I know it is the main tank to bowl hole but cannot figure out why. I bought new gaskets and just now when I flushed it to see how it worked water gushed everywhere.

Got any ideas where I went wrong?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 502 • Replies: 13
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:35 pm
Only when you flush?

The tube from the valve to the bowl/tank may be pointing at the top of the tank.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:43 pm
If it always leaks, then check where the water line connects to the valve at the bottom of the tank.
mismi

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:56 pm
@DrewDad,
I am pretty sure it is not where the water connects to the toilet - I am redoing it all (pain in the keester) to see if I did anything wrong....I do not think it is the tube - pretty positive -

Thanks DrewDad
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 03:59 pm
http://www.fixatoilet.com/

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-repair-a-toilet.htm
mismi

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 04:05 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks Butrflynet - these are things I have done - so I am thinking that I just need my husband to tighten it - maybe I am just not getting the couplings tight enough...we will see.

Thanks again to you both
mismi

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:05 pm
@mismi,
Well - I went in and changed the gasket to the tube that connects the bowl to the tank and I cranked it pretty tight. I do believe that did it - oh and the reason why is leaked so badly when I flushed it was the exterior gasket got moved and I tightened it - that way - it left a gap. I just didn' t think to pull up the valve to see if there was an obstruction.

whew. Thanks for your help guys
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:08 pm
@mismi,
Well done! Make sure you give the plumbing bill to your husband! I think the money you saved by not calling a plumber is worth at least one dinner out this week.
mismi

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:09 pm
@Butrflynet,
That is a brilliant idea...thank you! Very Happy
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:23 pm
@mismi,
Clever gal! Razz
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:31 pm
Very clever. Can't flush the bill down the toilet, if it doesn't work.

Mismi. Have the professor tighten those fasteners gingerly. It doesn't take much, and I'm sure you know how easy porcelain cracks.
mismi

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:52 pm
@alex240101,
Thanks Iz -
Thanks Alex - I don't think he will need to - they seem to be holding just fine - and nothings wiggling - got to LOVE a good ratchet set. Wink
hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 06:07 pm
@mismi,
just be absolutely sure you did NOT overtighten - or shussss a lot of water may flood the bathromm - and more !
if the gaskets were put in properly , it should not require any torquing .
a bit of "plumber's glue " ( http://www.plumbingworld.com/amazinggoop_compound.html ) may be useful to get a good seal .
it's probably fixed for now .
hbg
mismi

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 06:09 pm
@hamburger,
I wondered about that too Hamburger - thanks
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do It Yourself Plumber here - HELP - tank to bowl leaking
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 11:41:23