"equity release": Know anything about it, anyone?

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 09:32 pm
I'm considering what's called "equity release" here in Oz (it may go by some other title in other countries) as a means of funding house repairs/improvements/renovations to my little house.
It works like this: effectively the bank (or body associated with the bank) "lends" you the amount you need. So if, say , I borrow 25% of the value of my home, then 25% of the value of my property at the time of my ..um .. death is retrieved by the company. So effectively the company supplying the finance has bought 25% of my property.
I have been looking for alternatives to taking out a reverse mortgage, which does not appeal to me at all. I'm also not at all keen about taking out a second mortgage to finance the work. (Oh & I fully own my home.)

So if anyone has any insight into the pros & cons, via experience or knowledge, I'd be very interested to hear what you have to say. Early days for me with this idea.

Thanks,
Olga
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,315 • Replies: 4
No top replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 10:03 pm
@msolga,
I guess, at this very early stage of investigating the scheme, my main concern is: what if the company goes belly up? Fails, in other words. What would my liabilities be in that case? Obviously I'd need some very good legal advice on such a possibility. (Though it is a "reputable" company.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 11:22 pm
Transfered to this thread:

Roger said:
Quote:
Don't know a thing about it, but you should really find out what happens if the value of the home declines. Is it possible you might have to put up additional equity as a result?
msolga

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 11:38 pm
@msolga,
Roger

My understanding is that (using the example of a 25% loan on the current value of the property I own) that the lender will then be entitled to 25% of the value of the property at the time of "redemption". (ie my demise!)

So obviously the company involved is being super-choosey about which applicants for such a loan they are willing to oblige! In other words, to get this loan, you need to be in a situation where the increased value of your property, over time, is pretty much a certainty. I think I'm in that situation, but they've made it clear that nothing happens until they've done thorough research into this potential investment, including an inspection of the property.
msolga

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 11:45 pm
@msolga,
I hope I'm making sense here. "Financial language" is not my forte.

Btw this scheme was suggested to me (at a meeting, specifically for the purpose of my seeking advice) by my bank manager, who is not exactly allowed to suggest wildly speculative or risky things to his clients! Wink
0 Replies