What Would You Do?

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 06:50 pm
So, I'm taking my elderly Gram shopping for her weekly groceries today, (we do Monday to avoid the crowds, she is pushing 90) and I come across a situation that still has me wondering about what if...

Gram lives in an older deteriorating neighborhood near the airbase, and a lot of the former military housing units are now low income and lesser folks.

After parking and helping her out of the truck, we were walking into the grocery store.

I saw two men, one in his 50's and one in mid 30's, backing out the main door into the entryway.

An older female clerk was following as the slider opened, and I heard her say...now don't you run...

What do you do?

(I had my Gram on my arm, so I did what I needed to do, which was take up space going west, and keep her out of play.)

They ran out the east door, and across the parking lot, and a very busy street. (no one hurt). They were stealing meat.

I could very easily have hooked the slow one around his collar and taken him down with no thought, but what happens then, and where does it all go.

Would you have gotten involved?

just curious...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 512 • Replies: 10
No top replies

chai2

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:18 pm
wow, scary for your gram.

I mean scary for you hoping you'll be able to protect your gram.

You don't know if these guys had a gun or knife on them, or were strung out. I think you did the right thing keeping your distance.

I think the clerk was foolish for chasing them.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:25 pm
@chai2,
No, we've seen theft there many times, just never where I was in a position to do something. I would never endanger her, hence I simply made East the way to leave, but I was never worried about weapons, they were sneaking out with food, not cash.

They were poor folks stealing food.

Were Gram not there, I would likely have acted differently, probably to my own detriment.

thoughts?
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:30 pm
I have stolen food before.
Im glad no one stopped me then. I truly needed it.

I have stolen dumb **** too. Just for the fun of it sometimes... im glad no one stopped me then , but for legal reasons .

What I would have done was give the shop woman my number and information, since i would have SEEN their faces, I could help her tell the police her story if she so choose. She may not have been putting up much of a fight herself thinking they needed it.. or.. they threatened her.. or what have you.

Hitting someone just because you can causes other problems. Anyone can hit another person because they think they are doing wrong. That wont correct a situation.

helping her prosecute ? Probably a better idea all around. If people know she will call police, they are likely to leave her alone. ( not always.. but )
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:32 pm
I think the best action, were your granny not present, would be to observe and get as acurate a description as possible for the police. See if you could figure how they left and possible destination. But that's it, in my own never humble opinion.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:33 pm
@shewolfnm,
I was thinking more along the lines of "detain"...

(I got old knuckles, I use 'em sparingly)

They never even call the police, it is a common occurrence. On weekends, there is a guard at the door.

Not even going to help them that let stupid stuff happen, when it means me going to court to fight for things should never been allowed to happen to someone else. (they have at least 6 employees with a description, as they chased them across to a neighborhood, not a sprinter among the lot)

I coulda grabbed the guy and wrapped him up, but then what?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:33 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

No, we've seen theft there many times, just never where I was in a position to do something. I would never endanger her, hence I simply made East the way to leave, but I was never worried about weapons, they were sneaking out with food, not cash.

They were poor folks stealing food.

Were Gram not there, I would likely have acted differently, probably to my own detriment.

thoughts?

hmm....stealing food. I'm thinking then they needed it, and would have wished them well.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:39 pm
@shewolfnm,
I would have stayed out of the way - though I wouldn't have been much good unless I could have stuck my foot out there and tripped one of them. But my heart goes out to them, there must be better ways to go about getting fed than stealing from the grocery store. Of course, I have not ever been there - I am fortunate and just can't say what I would do if I were that hungry. Maybe I would have hollered that I would buy the meat for them...

One day - at Walmart - I saw a fellow who had the arm of a girl. She was crying and saying, "No" and dragging her feet. He got out of the front door. I told him I saw him and I followed him to his car and got his tag number and called 911 - I figured better safe than sorry - I couldn't have wrestled her from him but I figured the police could sort it out well enough...I don't know if that helped or not and truly am not sure if it was the right thing to do or not. I think each situation is different and has to be approached differently -

I am glad you and Gram are safe Rock.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 07:52 pm
I would have gotten out the of the way. That kind of theft is sad, but even if it weren't so trivial, why risk yourself? The police always tell you to never be a hero. Especially when it's just "goods" and not a person. Now, if it were a person being beaten, what would you have done? Different issue altogether.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2009 08:13 pm
Having been in that situation.. my number one question is who has to shoulder all the cost for that food ? Over......and over......and over again?

1) workers.
If theft happens to much, they are questioned, and if the loss is great enough, someone can lose some work hours to cover that.

2) the owner
Why should he or she be -forced- into a donation like that? over....and over?
if the police wont help, the crooks KNOW they can go steal food when ever.
Being a caring person is one thing, but when it is not coming directly out of your pocket all the time, we tend to forget .
Imagine.. that owner has to cover meat, every day. And each day that is just like buying enough meat for several people . And there is nothing they can do about it. Thats not fair.

3) customers.
That loss? can easily be added by several dollars through out YOUR grocery bill. I personally dont see an issue with that... but.. if the grocery store is going to be 'so generous' then it should be just handed to people and not forced from workers who could be hurt in the process.

Its theft no matter the reason. And we have laws for that so that everyone has a fair chance at making money with a small store.
Why should everyone just smile and say its ok simply because it is food?
Someone has to pay for that food no matter who eats it.
And right now it sounds like the owner of that store is on the big losing end of that 'donation'
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 01:39 am
Averaged costs of shoplifting are built in to supermarket prices. Supermarkets have, by sheer weight of numbers been dictating prices to growers and suppliers for years, in many cases forcing smaller suppliers out of business or into a position where they make only wages and no return on investment.
Supermarkets make more money from selling position on shelves than selling food. The end end of isle specials are in that position because the supermarket received money for that spot.

Legal it might be but many many of out retailers and manufacturers have absolutely no concience.
Now.... see if you can figure out what I would have done
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What Would You Do?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/21/2024 at 05:08:05