jespah

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 06:33 pm
I'm suddenly in a group. And not the Baby boomers, whom I've never really identified with. Born 1954 - 1965 (I was born in '62), we are supposed to be the generation pushing for change. And guess who's in our group?

Obama. Gates. Jobs. Caroline Kennedy. Heh, Keanu Reeves is, too.

See: http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/12/23/salzman.trends/index.html

So, are you a cusper? That name makes me gag, reminds me of bicuspids (not that there's anything wrong with them). But, are you in this group? Do you think it's a separate group? Or is it just a fancy-shmancy silly label for people? And, do you think there's anything special in store for this group? Or are we just keeping the seats warm until Generation X comes to the table?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,473 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 06:54 pm
I would call the demographic, Peace Time Babies, since they were born ('54 to '65) just after the Korean War, and just as the Vietnam Conflict had heated up, I believe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 07:36 pm
Eyeing this as a war baby (late '41).
Damn boomers...

Kidding, as I was much more aligned with early boomers than folks prior, or many zillion my exact age; I still feel that way. A lot of lifetime best pals have been about four years younger than I am, or more than four years. What does it all mean, Alfie?

Ok, this is sort of a bookmark, will follow.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 07:36 pm
I'm on the other side of the generational cusp - early gen-exer. I wonder if we'll be special...... My sister does fall in your cusp, Jes. She was born in 65. She is definitely more baby boom than Genx.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 07:41 pm
@jespah,
I fall into that clump of time.

I certainly never 'felt' it, when they put our years in with the boomers. We weren't labelled as boomers, then we were, now we aren't again.

I think the X'ers may get missed out in terms of power, as the next clump after them seems to be full of people who are really getting things done (at least when I consider my last couple of work places - there's almost a generational gap in there - don't know where that group of people went).
jespah

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2008 09:24 am
@ehBeth,
I think it's definitely a distinct group. Certainly in the sense that we didn't have the 60s experience. I mean, the 60s ended when I was 7 years old. I remember, er, playing. Not much else. I was an infant when Kennedy was shot. I do remember some sort of moment of silence when King was shot but it was not the visceral feeling that I imagine folks of greater age and understanding had on that day.

In some ways it's also Generation Punk. Skinny ties, etc. were huge when I was in college, and it started to get big when I was in High School. I look at the Do They Know It's Christmas? video and I can recognize many of the people there, over 24 years later.
0 Replies

mountain top view

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 06:05 pm
I was born in 1962 and never felt like a Bomer or an Xer, so I've been glad that our lost generation finally has a name. But not "cuspers"! Ecch. After all these years of being denied a collective name, the last thing we should get is name that defines us by our neighbors, ie. we should be defined by who we are, not who we aren't.

Moot point, since cuspers has never caught on at all, while Generation Jones has already established itself as very popular with a national following. I'm proud of our generation and of the name that emerged for us: Generation Jones.

Google cuspers and you'll see that virtually nobody uses that term for the generation between the Boomers and Xers. Cuspers was proposed as a name for this generation 10 years ago when Boomers and Xers were the two dominant generations, but it never caught on at all, and anyway, doesn't even make sense at this point, since now people between GenX and GenY, and those born between GenY and GenZ, are called cuspers.

By contrast, google the term Generation Jones, and you'll see that it's gained a big national following...it’s gotten a ton of media attention, and many top commentators from numerous top publications and networks (New York Times, Time magazine, NBC, Newsweek, ABC, etc.) are specifically referring to Obama, born in 1961, as part of Generation Jones.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2009 09:12 pm
Yeah, I'm a cusper, 12/58
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Cuspers? Generation Jones?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:35:01