Why the Senate GOP scuttled the automakers' bailout

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 11:20 am
Why am I not surprised that the southern Republican senators voted against the U.S. auto industry bridge loans? These senators are hold overs of the south's history, since slavery, of seeking cheap labor. They hate the labor union movement for it's attempts to improve the working classes' earnings and standards of living. It violates the south's slave ideology of cheap labor. ---BBB

Why the Senate GOP scuttled the automakers' bailout
By David Lightman | McClatchy Newspapers
12/13/08

WASHINGTON " Most Senate Republicans were willing to scuttle the $14 billion auto bailout Thursday night because of their longstanding disdain for labor unions, free-market preferences " and a yearning to show that a month after stinging defeats at the polls, they could stick together.

It also helped that their constituents made clear how much they disliked the idea of another bailout.

None of those factors alone probably could have doomed the auto aid package, which collapsed Thursday night when negotiations over a compromise broke down.

Two months ago, Republican skepticism of government intrusion into private enterprise was not enough to stop the $700 billion financial-industry rescue plan. But this time was different.

Most Republican lawmakers were leery of having Washington rescue a specific industry, and indicated that General Motors and Chrysler should be allowed to file for bankruptcy protection rather than stay afloat with federal loans.

"We have laws, bankruptcy, Chapter 11 laws, that were designed to allow companies that are in financial trouble to restructure in a way that they could come out on the other side healthy," said Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C.

Skeptics argue that consumers wouldn't buy cars from a bankrupt company. Nonsense, DeMint said. "Americans are not stupid. They know that this bailout is only a temporary solution," he argued. "They're much less likely to buy an American car with this bailout plan . . ."

Republicans had other philosophical problems. "Government intervention in the marketplace, frankly, cuts against all my ordinary impulses," said Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.

That's not a new Republican view, yet Democrats in the past have sometimes found enough GOP lawmakers who'll vote for what their constituents want, helping them forge majorities that go against free-market dogma.

Other factors intervened this time, however.

One was the autoworkers' union. During the final closed-door negotiations Thursday night, union officials were in one room while management officials were in an adjacent room.

Republicans complained that the union officials had more access to the senatorial negotiators than did management. Democrats denied that, saying that Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., shuttled between the two rooms.

And, the Democrats said, more union input was needed because of the insistence from Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., that American carmakers bring labor costs in line with overseas-based manufacturers that operate in the U.S. Chattanooga, Tenn., where Corker was mayor before his election to the Senate, secured a new Volkswagen plant in July. Tennessee also is home to GM and Nissan vehicle assembly plants.

Democrats charged that Republicans was out to hurt the union. Corker denied such motivation, saying that the agreement imploded over three words " the date by which the unionized workers would have to achieve parity with those at foreign-owned U.S. plants.

Republicans wanted parity next year; Democrats sought a delay until 2011. Asked why he wouldn't move off the 2009 date, Corker said, "Then I'd be negotiating with myself." Republicans, who rarely get union support in their campaigns, saw little motivation to budge.

Republicans also saw an opportunity they'd sought since Nov. 4, when the party lost the presidency and large numbers of congressional seats. Part of the reason for the losses was President Bush, who had historically low approval ratings, partly because of his stewardship of the dismal economy.

So when Bush joined with Democrats to craft the auto aid bill, largely without the help of congressional Republicans, many GOP lawmakers felt little political obligation to go along. When Vice President Dick Cheney and White House Chief of Staff Josh Bolten met privately with GOP senators on Tuesday, they got what Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla, termed "a good dose" of sharp questions.

McConnell, who early in the week held out the prospect of supporting a deal, virtually sealed its doom Thursday when he announced his opposition to the White House-backed plan, and was praised by most Republicans for showing leadership.

They also liked how he and his colleagues were following the first rule of politics: Know your constituency.

Poll after poll told the same story. Gallup reported in a Dec. 4-7 survey that 51 percent opposed the government giving "major financial assistance" to the car companies.

Even more compelling to lawmakers, constituents were angry.

"People don't like rich people, and these guys are not only rich, but they screwed up," said Rep. Ray LaHood, R-Ill., speaking of the Big Three executives who came to Capitol Hill on private jets with cups in hand.

So Republicans could bask in knowing that their anti-bailout stance seemed popular with constituents angry at auto companies, unions and government " all at once. House Minority Whip Eric Cantor, R-Va., was able to sum up the GOP position in a sentence.

"I can't think of anything more nonsensical than replacing those in Detroit who have not been able to make a success out of the auto companies," he said, "and replace them with bureaucrats who are subject to the whim of the politicians here in Washington."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,393 • Replies: 14
No top replies

spendius

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 11:45 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
Why am I not surprised that the southern Republican senators voted against the U.S. auto industry bridge loans? These senators are hold overs of the south's history, since slavery, of seeking cheap labor. They hate the labor union movement for it's attempts to improve the working classes' earnings and standards of living. It violates the south's slave ideology of cheap labor. ---BBB

So I presume you are in favour of all workers being brought up to Detroit wage levels and the US filing for bankruptcy.

One thing is for sure. Anybody bargain hunting for cheap foreign goods does not want worker's wages brought up to those levels. And they are saying it with actions and not cheap and easy words.

And bear in mind that purveyors of cheap and easy words are on much more money than the Detroit workers who do at least make something useful.

From what they said on our news Mr Bush is going to do the bail-out with your tax money and thus take the responsibilty and leave nobody to blame come January.
spendius

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 11:48 am
@spendius,
Do you shop around for bargains BBB?
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 12:02 pm
I was thinking of asking my four year old grandson if he was in favor of repaying the bailout debt (to the Chinese) when he becomes a contributing member of society so that today's union workers can continue to enjoy their privileged station in life. It's quite obvious I won't be leaned on to repay this massive debt, we've spent way too much for that to even be possible.

But then I thought the question is so absurd, and the answer so obvious that it didn't even need to be asked.

Folks, what's wrong with us? Is it too much to pay our own bills as we acquire them, and live within our means, and to ask union members to share a little of the burden like the ordinary people have who witnessed their 401K's decline?
maporsche

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 12:05 pm
@tycoon,
Yeah, this is probably what bothers me the most. I'm only 28 years old, I WILL be asked to repay these debts that previous generations have chosen to saddle me with.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 12:13 pm
@maporsche,
it stems for a lack of character in moderns. It was once understood that power should not steam roll over the powerless, but we have lost that. Those who are too young to vote and are yet unborn do not have the vote, nor wealth to corrupt power with, they are powerless. Until recently even young adults chose to remain powerless, not participating in the political process. They have been robbed, and few seemed to care until just recently. It is a testament to our depravity.
spendius

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 02:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
"TAKE THE WAITING OUT OF WANTING" was a mantra chanted at you in every advert all the years of your lives.

That's what advertising is for. And you pay the people who make the ads, after you paid to "educate" them, much more than the auto-makers. And look up to them with admiration. And the swell lifestyles they have.

Veblen told you over 100 years ago that "waste=status and use=odium." And that America was something in the way of a psychiatric ward. You hid his books. You put him on Ignore. You're comedy writers didn't.

Your trend setting, tarted-up weatherlady earns many more times what a garbage collector earns. And it has been shown how easy doing the weather is and how luxurious the dressing rooms are.

It's everywhere you look. That's why the makers of wasteful cars earn more than the makers of utility ones. Same with clothes. Same with food.

The fat-cat bankers are the tip of the ice-berg. They are scapegoats.

They are still advertising credit with the same inducements-- that "you're The ONE!" It's amazing what can be done with a colour television screen that somebody approaching you in a fairground saying that can't do.

PS. Our newsreaders can't make up their minds how to pronounce Mr Madoff's name. Some are using "Madeoff." Even Dickens never thought of that. In fact I saw two of them discussing it. They tried both to see which made them giggle the least. $50 bil. innit? Old Thorstein will be whirling in his grave. I wonder what he'll be shouting.

Take farmerman for example. A righteous man. He has a boat you know. It has bowthrusters in which little harmless sea creatures get caught up and mushed together clogging up the works whenever he feels like steaming through in his sea-farer's cap with the salt-spray lashing his intrepid countenance which he does from time to time because to not do would be an admission that it was a mistake to purchase the ******* thing, it has more than just bowthruster torture, much more, and farmerman does not make mistakes.

And he boasts of it as if he expects it to raise his status in the community thus suggesting we all ought to have a boat. Maybe he has shares in boat building firm or a long lease on some un-used dock where much sought after berths at $500 a year would be located after a lick of paint had been applied.

Is that waste? Or is that waste. Waste+Torture= Status: Use+ Comfort= Odium. And we are all going ooooooeeeee!! Look at farmerman.

PS. Don't get a boat. They are one long pain in the ******* neck.

And we don't even know whether he has a boat at all. It might just be all made up to impress A2K ers. That's serious waste. Talking about waste you are not even wasting. But I think he has one. I've no cast iron peer-reviewed objective evidence mind you and farmerman himself will tell you that that is what a scientific mind needs to come to a proper and considered judgment.

Watch Royal Ascot sometime and see a movie called WASTE in 5 daily 3 hour episodes. It's the drug that has no limit. Didn't Woody Allen show you that?
spendius

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 02:22 pm
@spendius,
I forgot to mention that he has to clean this what he called sea-food, well--he is a stickler for scientific terms, out of the bowthrusters so that they will continue thrusting. This must be a bit of a trial. Putting it mildly. I bet skinning your knuckles is a regular occurence and with that salt and the cold it must be sheer agony.

And he's not that devout either. I bet he doesn't wear a hair shirt.

Future diggers into our wreckage will nod their heads meaningfully as phallic connotations will by then not be mentionable in polite society. They will probably think it a metaphor for the sexual politics of the early 111 millenium after our Christ and swoon with an ineffable yearning as we do with the romantic images of by-gone days as seen in the Bonnet Videos.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 02:29 pm
I am extremely conflicted about this whole bailout thing. On the one hand, I can see the economic necessity for shoring up the auto industry and insuring that it doesn't go under. That's the pragmatic side of me. But I can't find a moral justification for it. And I'm very surprised that it's the right wingers who managed to vote it down. I would have expected the GOP to jump at the chance to help the fat cats of Detroit stay fat. Somehow, on this one the tables got turned.

And, btw, Spendi., that post is probably the best and most incisive writing I've seen from you yet.
tycoon

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 02:43 pm
@Merry Andrew,
We have to be clear about one thing before it's possible for some to resolve their conflicts about this. Filing for bankruptcy--the path I hope will be taken--does not mean the companies will "go under". Rather, it offers them a new beginning, one that offers a real chance at viability.
spendius

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 02:49 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I presume you mean the best and most incisive writing you have noticed yourself approving of. When it comes to quick cuts Trivia is where it's at.

It hardly flatters the audience to make it easy for them now does it? When you throw pillows at a pyramid of tin-cans at three paces to win a fluffy toy for your girl you will find the toy to be worth about half of the pillow hire price. It's business.

And if those who find it too hard wish to deem it "rubbish" that's their affair and not mine. It very well may be.
spendius

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 02:53 pm
@tycoon,
Quote:
We have to be clear about one thing before it's possible for some to resolve their conflicts about this. Filing for bankruptcy--the path I hope will be taken--does not mean the companies will "go under". Rather, it offers them a new beginning, one that offers a real chance at viability.

Have you been recording the news tyco? Or an interview with a responsible person of the "let nature take its course" persuasion.

I'm not clear even after those words of clarification.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 06:17 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I presume you mean the best and most incisive writing you have noticed yourself approving of

Well, yes, of course. What else could I possibly have meant? I certainly can't speak for anyone else on A2K nor am I an arbiter of literary tastes.
spendius

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 06:42 pm
@Merry Andrew,
It took me longer than it should have to learn that MA.
spendius

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 06:20 pm
@spendius,
Does anyone know what the cost of the agricultural bail-out is? We had butter mountains and wine lakes and now we have "set-aside". Surplus big cars could be stored and, when oil gets to $15, given away to keep gas demand up. Suppose ferrous scrap went through the roof.

Can cars not have a virulent epidemic of wheel disease?
0 Replies