Etymology - fascinating stuff

mismi

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 01:52 pm
@djjd62,
That was lovely reading dj - thinking about getting this book out and reading it to my kids again. Just for me. Very Happy
mismi

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 02:01 pm
@mismi,
http://teacher.scholastic.com/professional/bruceperry/words.htm

This is a good read - It is not necessarily about etymology....I found the below quote very interesting and think it is a HUGE factor in teaching our children. Children don't learn the proper meaning of words because the parents do not match the action to the word...gave me much to think on.

Quote:
HELEN BENHAM: What do we as adults do unknowingly to confuse the meaning in words for our children, and how can we do a better job?

BRUCE PERRY: One of the major problems is when adults have a disconnection between what they say and what they do. Children pay attention and learn from what we do much more than from what we say. So, if we perform an action and then we use words that don't match the action, children get confused about language. Furthermore, they get confused about not only the specific use of those words, but they also generalize. They learn that words used by Mom or Dad really don't mean what they say. A classic example is if two kids are sort of fighting back and forth, and one hits the other and the parent goes over and hits the child on the rump and says, "Don't hit!" That really doesn't mean "don't hit" to the child; it means "don't hit until you get older " or bigger."

hamburger

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 03:28 pm
@mismi,
mismi :

just picked up a rather interesting book at the library :

simon winchester : the meaning of everything
the story of the oxford english dictionary

see link for details :
http://www.complete-review.com/reviews/winchs/oed2.htm

quite a fascinating story or rather stories .
i had read a similar book some time ago . it's interesting to learn that "the english" language is really an assembly of several different languages .
i think you might find it worthwhile reading .
do you have a library nearby ?
luckily we have several public libraries in our community - we are a good customer and always "welcome to browse" - the main library even has a coffee shop !
we can order/reserve books online and will get notified when they are available for us - all neatly bundled , ready to take home - a great service .
happy reading !
hbg

mismi

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 03:39 pm
@hamburger,
That sounds wonderful hamburger. What a great library to have nearby. We have one but it is fairly new and it is a county library...not quite as good as we are use to. But It is getting better. Hopefully they will have these perks one day - the coffee shop sounds wonderful.

Thank you for the name of that book. I may take the boys tomorrow afternoon and see if they have it.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 02:53:09