57 chevy belair drivetrain 80% finished and i'm starting on the paint

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 06:41 pm
my dream car has always been the 57 chevy belair. the look alone of a 57 is enough to bring me to my knees. and now, i'm building my own from the ground up... MY WAY. i have the drive train completed all but the rotating assembly and top end of the 454 (soon to be supercharged). i work in a body shop so it was like a dream to be able to perform the body work (which turned out excellent) on my dream car. but now i'm down to a pinch. i used martin senour supplies (body filler, etching primer, filler primer, etc.) but now i would like to apply a more high quality base coat clear coat. i was considering alsa corp. paint but is their anything more high quality than alsa?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 825 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 06:45 pm
@FightKing88,
switching companies in mid stream Can bite you in the ass. (not saying it will)

Not familiar with alsa, but know most all the major players in the show car arena.

I would talk to some paint company field reps if I worked in a body shop...

(edit)

OK, googled it, and no, prolly nothing more exotic than that...

What is your budget again?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:36 pm
@FightKing88,
and welcome to A2k, btw...
0 Replies

FightKing88

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:49 pm
@Rockhead,
i really don't have a limit on what i'm willing to put down for quality base and clear coat. i'm willing to throw down $60,000 total and i'm at about $40,000 right now, so i wont be able to go over my limit just in paint and clear coat. i agree though that switching at this point may be a bad idea, i found that martin senour can be relitivly versatile with other brands such as dupont, but i'm thinking that with alsa being as high dollar as they are, their differences just might conflict with martin senour. at first my plan was to go as deep black as possible on the entire car, with the fish tail on the quarter panel being torch red while being outlined with the crome moldings. but now i'm thinking that i might like to spice the paint up a bit and after seeing some alsa sprayout cards i was instantly drawn in. but due do the high build primer that i used being produced by martin senour i'm worried of having a "lifting" reaction or something along those lines
Rockhead

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 07:56 pm
@FightKing88,
I grew up working for NAPA, so I know M/S chemicals.

My personal recommendation (as a non expert) is DuPont.

I have mixed the two successfully many times, and the sky is the limit for colors.

But Black Is Black... (good black is all about the underwork and the clear work<wet sanding>)
FightKing88

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 08:23 pm
@Rockhead,
wetsanding, aint that the truth. i still like the gloss black look but i'm considering working alsa's crystalized effect base coat into the paint job.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2008 08:26 pm
@FightKing88,
your reps are your best bet.

The knowledge you seek is beyond me, and prolly a2k...but you never know...

(I play at paint, but am not a pro)
FightKing88

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 05:20 pm
@Rockhead,
yea i think i'll talk to the rep next time he swings by the shop. i appreciate the input tho
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 57 chevy belair drivetrain 80% finished and i'm starting on the paint
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 03:52:38