It's no wonder I'm a dim-witted liberal

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 09:51 am
I just checked our kitchen and found that all the salt we have (sea-salt/kosher/table) is not iodated.
Quote:
Almost one-third of the world’s people don’t get enough iodine from food and water. The result in extreme cases is large goiters that swell their necks, or other obvious impairments such as dwarfism or cretinism. But far more common is mental slowness.
“Probably no other technology,” the World Bank said of micronutrients, “offers as large an opportunity to improve lives ... at such low cost and in such a short time.” One of the attractions is that a campaign to iodize salt costs only 2 cents to 3 cents per person reached per year.

“We are spending very little, but the benefit is enormous,” said Dr. Khawaja Masuood Ahmed, an official of the Micronutrient Initiative here. “We’re preventing people from becoming mentally retarded.”
Indeed, The Lancet, the British medical journal, reported last month that “Iodine deficiency is the most common cause of preventable mental impairment worldwide.”
Indeed, The Lancet, the British medical journal, reported last month that “Iodine deficiency is the most common cause of preventable mental impairment worldwide.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/04/opinion/04kristof.html?_r=1&th&emc=th
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,019 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 09:53 am
@dyslexia,
Sorry dys! I think that it'll take more than iodized salt to straighten you out! Wink Laughing
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 09:59 am
@Phoenix32890,
Huh, Phoenix? I didn't think you'd noticed.

BBB
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 01:49 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Eat **** and die asshole
dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 01:52 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

dyslexia wrote:
Eat **** and die asshole

and your point is?
cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 01:53 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

maporsche wrote:

dyslexia wrote:
Eat **** and die asshole

and your point is?

Eat more plain salt.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 04:06 pm
@dyslexia,
Just one of my favorite quotes of yours. Can't get enough of seeing it.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 04:09 pm
@maporsche,
yeah I do have a way with words but then I did graduate the 8th grade.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 04:37 pm
Thx for the heads-up, dys. As I use very little salt (hardly any outside of the tons that are already there in all prepared foods), it probably explains a great deal about my bahavior.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 04:42 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Thx for the heads-up, dys. As I use very little salt (hardly any outside of the tons that are already there in all prepared foods), it probably explains a great deal about my bahavior.
Mr Andrew, it's my understanding that salt used in prepared foods is not iodized, in addition I'm not sure anything explains your behavior.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 04:44 pm
@dyslexia,
You're saying I gotta find a better excuse than that?
dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 04:48 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

You're saying I gotta find a better excuse than that?
yeah, perhaps something like having bean dropped on your head as as baby.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 05:48 pm
Well, please correct me if I'm wrong. The American diet surely is in no danger of a deficiency in iodide. There is enough iodized salt in a slice of bread daily to prevent goiters.
roger

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 05:54 pm
@tycoon,
Just checked a label. No listing of iodine, so how do you know it's iodized salt in there.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 06:06 pm
@roger,
It says idodized .. over the word SALT.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 06:11 pm
Never use iodized salt was fermenting vegetables (ie: sauerkraut, kimchee, pickles etc). It turns the veggies all grey and icky. Otherwise it's OK.
roger

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 06:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Does not! The only bread label in the house is Smith's brand. It clearly does not.

It also contains high fructose corn syrup.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 06:14 pm
@roger,
All salt in commercial bread is iodized. I think Osso was talking about the salt container itself.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 07:24 pm
@Green Witch,
Right, I was talking about the salt container.
I've no idea what's in commercial breads, or what rustic bread bakeries use.

To make 3 fair sized loaves of pan bigio, I use, per total recipe, 1 tablespoon of salt -
that's 7200 mg.. which would mean 2400 mg or approx equal to 1 day's recommended max mgs. salt per loaf, but quite a bit over the newest recommendations of 1500 if you ate the whole thing.
But, per slice, not so much of your daily salt intake, even if not iodized (mine is).

Be interesting to find out if all that salt in canned and packaged frozen foods is iodized or not.

Adds, snottily, ain't no sugar or hfcs in my bread.

roger

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 07:28 pm
@ossobuco,
That's why I made my reply specific to Tycoon and his mention of one slice of bread.

1. Forums
  2. » It's no wonder I'm a dim-witted liberal
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 02:28:58