Busker psychology

aperson

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 08:04 pm
I'm a keen singer, and I've recently been accepted in the national secondary schools choir. My parents are making me pay for part of my flights (and I need money to fund my video gaming), so I've decided to go busking this week. I've heard it pays better than the minimum wage supermarket jobs that are avaliable to my age group, and in addition there are no commitments or set hours.

I was wondering, if any of you have experience with psychology, what are the optimum conditions for busking?

Examples:

Elderly or family audience?
Rich or average?
Sign explaining need for money or not?
Should I put money in the container to start with or not?
Are people more likely to put money in if there's less money there already?
Does container size and shape make a difference?

If you can help me with any of these questions, it would be much appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,419 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 08:09 pm
@aperson,
if you got talent, drop a hat, be sincere, and talk to those that talk to you...

(and play your ass off)

good luck, grasshopper.
aperson

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 08:24 pm
@Rockhead,
Of course I'll do that too Master Yoda, but I'm a man of science at heart. Smart work beats hard work any day.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 08:27 pm
@aperson,
smart in the planning, heart with the execution...

(music and science don't mix, unless you are T Dolby)

you'll be fine.

(I asked on another thred, can you see the Venus ~ Jupiter event from where you are, and is it different from our view?)
aperson

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 08:29 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
smart in the planning, heart with the execution...

Damn straight.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 08:35 pm
@aperson,
aperson wrote:
I was wondering, if any of you have experience with psychology, what are the optimum conditions for busking?

I have little experience with psychology, but more with busking (don't ask I hate busking but was forced to do so as a kid).

Quote:
Elderly or family audience?
Rich or average?

Doesn't matter in a first world country, you want lots of foot traffic, everyone can afford a coin or two, and you need volume. You want to sit down (so that loiterers obscure you, and others have to stop if they want to see what they are looking at) and you want steady foot traffic.

Quote:
Sign explaining need for money or not?

Yes. And the sign should be upbeat and positive.

Quote:
Should I put money in the container to start with or not?

Yes, put some coins in and one small bill (to show that it's not crazy to give a bill but also not miserly to give a coin).

Quote:
Are people more likely to put money in if there's less money there already?

Yes, likewise if there is too much.

Quote:
Does container size and shape make a difference?

Yes, if it's too small they have to get too close. A guitar case (the hard kind) works very well.

Quote:
If you can help me with any of these questions, it would be much appreciated.

If you do it, I want video or pics. Last tip: don't bank it all on one location. If you are there an hour without much in way of results move.
aperson

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 09:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Hey thanks very much Robert that's a great help!

Since I'm singing there might be one or two complications, but they shouldn't be too bad. a) It's better to sing standing; b) I don't have an instrument case. Could be difficult thinking of a container.

And sorry, when you said "likewise if there is too much" did you mean that they will give less?

Cheers

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 09:59 pm
@aperson,
Yes, if there's too much in the collection fewer people will give.

I also should warn you that I think busking without an instrument is a lot harder, I don't think I've seen it done solo (have seen it done in quartets).

Edit: You may want to do the hat for the container. If it's slow you can pass it around after songs.
boomerang

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 10:51 pm
It doesn't hurt to have a ..... ahem.....partner .....who drops a couple of bills in your container every time a crowd gathers.....
aperson

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 02:42 am
@Robert Gentel,
Na I've had plenty of experience with solo singing. It'll be fine. All I need is something to give me pitch, and then I'm set.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 02:44 am
@boomerang,
Haha I might try that too.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Busker psychology
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/17/2024 at 08:47:37