Radio Host Has Drug Company Ties

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 04:48 pm
Quote:
An influential psychiatrist who was the host of the popular NPR program “The Infinite Mind” earned at least $1.3 million from 2000 to 2007 giving marketing lectures for drugmakers, income not mentioned on the program.

Conflicts of Interest May Ensnare Journalists, Too (November 22, 2008) The psychiatrist and radio host, Dr. Frederick K. Goodwin, is the latest in a series of doctors and researchers whose ties to drugmakers have been uncovered by Senator Charles E. Grassley, Republican of Iowa. Dr. Goodwin, a former director of the National Institute of Mental Health, is the first news media figure to be investigated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/22/health/22radio.html?_r=1

This story really pisses me off. What makes me even angrier is the fact that this doctor was broadcasting on public radio. I have no problem with people making money from corporations, but this IMO is a clear conflict of interest.

What do you all think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,510 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 05:40 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Did he push drugs on the program?

He should certainly have declared his interest.....but if the program was not about pushing drugs, but just generally informative, I see it as a lesser offence.
djjd62

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 05:45 pm
@dlowan,
that would be my position as well
dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 05:54 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

that would be my position as well

Oh man, this is bad:

"Dr. Goodwin’s weekly radio programs have often touched on subjects important to the commercial interests of the companies for which he consults. In a program broadcast on Sept. 20, 2005, he warned that children with bipolar disorder who were left untreated could suffer brain damage, a controversial view.

“But as we’ll be hearing today,” Dr. Goodwin told his audience, “modern treatments " mood stabilizers in particular " have been proven both safe and effective in bipolar children.” "

That's from the article.

In my view, Bi-polar in children is largely a diagnosis created by paediatricians, some psychiatrists, drug companies and the usual public hysteria and desire for parents to avoid facing issues in their parenting, to make up for the fact that voices speaking out about the ADD/ADHD are forcing a declining market for the ADD mob.

So far, it's largely an American thing, but we are dreading its invasion here.

This man has been a baaaaad boy, in my view.

djjd62

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 05:59 pm
@dlowan,
and now my position would be

he's a scumbag
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 06:07 pm
@dlowan,
Actually, it's great to see the US taking the enormous influence exerted by drug companies seriously.

Truly, it's disgusting.

They seduce, wine, dine and play doctors.

They give them lavish resort holidays disguised as professional seminars, host lavish dinners ditto...

At conferences including doctors, there is always a special room where they are given little baggies and offered a smorgasbord of lovely drugs and cute gifties.....

At least on Oz, new drugs do not have to be BETTER than previous drugs, just a bit better than placebo in double-blind randomized trials (or appear so!!) so billions are spent enticing doctors to prescribe a particular company's drug...not to mention to prescribe at all.....often there is considerable data supporting life-style change (as with early Diabetes Type II) or good therapy (as with most anxiety) as being of superior efficacy.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:31 am
@dlowan,
Since the law was changed to permit drugs being advertised on TV, much harm has been done. I wish the law would be reversed.

BBB
dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 03:19 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Yes...that can't happen here.....though drug companies are starting to advertise saying "there is help for this...ask your doctor".

It was the oddest thing seeing drugs advertised on the subway and all in the US!
0 Replies