Squinney and I are daydreaming

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 10:48 am
In Shalotte NC...basically Ocean Isle and Holden beach area... one can currently get a mobile home that needs a little TLC on a flat acre or more for 60K or so.... we are dreaming...little or no responsibility... we could deliver pizza and work in a diner while I established a couple of venues to play or do karaoke ... if we made 400.00 a week apiece we could get by comfortably and have a little garden....and we'd be at the beach.

As little responsibility as possible....wow.... that would be nice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 918 • Replies: 16
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 10:51 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
save me the place next door.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 10:54 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
That's a pretty quiet location, close to Calabash - which makes it a big winner for me.

On the flip side, it's the home of the first Walmart I ever went to, back in the good old 'made in America' days.

Given the hurricane exposure there, you might want to reconsider the mobile home option. I've picked up some great Russel Wright dishware at shops in the area. The dishes came from mobile homes that got swept away during Hurricane Andrew.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:01 am
@ehBeth,
you never know... one good storm and we could meet the lollipop kids first hand....never too old for one more adventure...
chai2

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 12:40 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
At one point I realized I was in a job I didn't like, and analyzed my needs.

I realized how little I needed to get by. I had an apartment with a roommate, so bills were low, didn't need any high dollar entertainment.

I quit my job, got one of those catastrophic illness insurance policies and worked 2 different part time jobs, 4 hours a day, 7 days a week. Both something low paying with equally low responsibilities. Didn't have to be at work until 10am, left at 2pm

That left me a lot of time to do things I'd always wanted to.

It was freaking great.

Did that for about 8 months, until I decided to do something else....and did.

good luck you two.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 02:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Given the hurricane exposure there, you might want to reconsider the mobile home option. I've picked up some great Russel Wright dishware at shops in the area. The dishes came from mobile homes that got swept away during Hurricane Andrew.

Oh, sure. Blame it all on Andrew. I wasn't anywhere near the Carolinas that year.

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:30 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I like everything except the mobile home for 60K. It seems pricey for something that goes down in value. What about buying a single acre and building a Tumbleweed house or cabin kit? They are priced about the same as the trailer or less. At least it will go up in value if you ever have to sell, or if you want to leave a little inheritance to the kiddies (far in the future, of course).
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:36 pm
@Green Witch,
I agree with Green Witch on the mobile home, but would suggest to buy with
the 60k a small cafe (with Karaoke in the evening), rent an apartment for a while, see how the cafe prospers with tourist and local traffic and go from there.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:42 pm
@CalamityJane,
CJ, Thanks for agreeing with me about the mobile, but I have to disagree about any kind of restaurant business. I've worked for years advising people on how to start a small business (especially women) and by far the hardest, most time consuming money pit is a food establishment. Four out of five crash in the first year. I like Bear's idea of keeping it simple, let someone else do the accounting, inventory investment, insurance and payroll. Maybe Squinney can find a job that offers health coverage so they don't have to deal with that as single payers. Keeping it simple is the key to keeping it simple.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:49 pm
@Green Witch,
I've been in the restaurant/nightclub business..... the anti no responsibility.... I can do 6 shows a month and make enough to get by in the scenario I propose.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:29 am
we are serious about this....look at this...we could afford this place if we both just flipped burgers....

http://mls.brunswickcountyhomes.com/mls/mls-search-details.cfm?mlsnumber=629413&mlsid=1&wsid=1
Green Witch

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 03:06 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Or you could build this for about $40,000, although it is small:

http://hookedonhouses.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/tumbleweedharbinger.jpghttp://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses.htm
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 04:06 pm
@Green Witch,
that's oversimplification...
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 04:11 pm
Bear, I am very curiuos to see where this goes.

I can't imagine how simple and fun life would be with little responsibility.
roger

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 04:16 pm
@maporsche,
Till the boredom goes from benign to malignant.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 04:24 pm
Some people have a very low threshhold for boredom and some people simply don't get bored. I think most musicians and other artistic types probably fall into the latter class.

I opt for low frustration and as much personal freedom as one can manage. There are other things to consider than leaving an estate for your kids that they will just fight over. Okay a mobile home near the coast is risky, yes, but so long as you have plenty of insurance and watch the weather reports and respond sensibly, if you love it the only thing you are really risking is stuff that you can replace.

ElStud and I are actually exploring ways that we can achieve freedom from stress and responsibility other than what we choose. And the only way that can realistically be accomplished by most of us is to intentionally simplify.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 05:42 pm
@roger,
roger I am smack dab...if I go there... in the practically dead center of a 70 mile stretch that runs from Myrtle Beach north to Wilmington....I'm well known as a musician there.... I know a lot of people and it won't take long for me to get as much work as I could want. I won't get bored...bored at the beach? With a winery a couple miles up the road? You must be joking....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Squinney and I are daydreaming
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:59:52