Ulcer Drug-Blood Thinner Cocktail Raises Heart Risks

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 11:06 am
Quote:
Heart stent patients taking Bristol- Myers Squibb Co. and Sanofi-Aventis SA's anti-clotting drug Plavix increased their risk of heart attacks and strokes if they also took anti-ulcer medicines like AstraZeneca Plc's Nexium.

Doctors implant about 2 million stents worldwide annually and routinely prescribe them with blood thinners such as Plavix to avoid clots. The drugs, though, raise the risk of stomach bleeding, so Nexium or one of its rivals from a family of drugs known as proton pump inhibitors is also prescribed.

About a third of patients who received a heart stent and Plavix suffered complications within a year when they also took the ulcer medicines, according to a study reported today at an American Heart Association conference in New Orleans. The finding may change medical practice, the researchers said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aWWL.EhHtam0&refer=home

In this study, the people involved had stents implanted. I wonder whether the same problems could happen with people who don't have stents. Yours truly, who is not stented, takes both Plavix and Prilosec.

I think that I am going to cut out the Prilosec for awhile, until I can get some more definitive information.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,362 • Replies: 2
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 12:00 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Yikes... definitely sounds like something worth talking to your doctor about.
0 Replies

Herbsindiapure

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 07:17 am
@Phoenix32890,
Hi Phoniex32890,
Why not try a natrural way??
Acid reflux is normally caused after the consumption of heavy meal, this causes the food to leak backwards to the oesophagus causing heartburn and other irritations

A readmade home remedy to this is, swallowing ahandful of fenugreek slowly followed by drink a glass full of water.

Stay healthy! Stay Happy!
0 Replies