Some one is spreading rumors about water damage in our condo

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 12:42 pm
@joefromchicago,
It strikes me, at least on a quick read, as confusion more than maliciousness. Don't know what to do about it though, since I'm not a real estate smarty nor a legal one.

I guess I don't understand about your own agent, why he or she won't just explain to the other agent that there must be a confusion.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 12:50 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

The condo board has broader interests than just the common areas. They are also have fiduciary obligations.

I was discussing the board's interest in the internal plumbing of the units. It's true that the board members have fiduciary duties to the unit owners insofar as they are required to act in an honest and competent manner as members of the board, but then that's beside the point. When it comes to your plumbing, there's no fiduciary duty involved, and I'm sure the board couldn't care less.

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
If condos are not being sold and end up having to be rented out, increased numbers of rental units reduces the value of the other condo units. Many, if not most, condo CC&Rs (governing documents) restrict the number of rental units to prevent such devaluation.

BBB

So what? We're talking about plumbing here.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 01:18 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Great Idea!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 01:20 pm
@Miller,
That's why I am trying to get at the root of it.

But we were told by the buyer - he was concerned about water damage to our unit. There is no question there - what we want to iron out is who exactly said this so it is not repeated.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 01:21 pm
@joefromchicago,
I don't really plan on suing anyone - I just don't want anyone saying this - I simply want to know who the individual who originally made this statement made known so this sort of incorrect and damaging rumor is not repeated.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 01:48 pm
Quote:
Our realtor is concerned he could damage his relationship with this other realtor if he asks so he is looking to see how he can word this without damaging his relationship.

There is the crux of your problem. You need a new realtor interested in representing you; even if that means asking another realtor to validate with sources any disparaging false information they are spreading as rumor.

You might also go to a title company and ask for an assessor's map showing the layout of all the units and designate on the map the difference in location of the units that did have water damage and where your unit is located. Your realtor should already have that map in the file if he/she did any kind of preliminary property and title search.
Linkat

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 02:52 pm
@Butrflynet,
Funny - we just canceled with him - I just got confirmation from my relocation that they will call him.

We dropped our place another 10k for over a week and today was the first showing as a result. Hubby snuck and listened in on the realtor talking to the prospective buyer - he didn't like what he heard and we had other concerns - so we decided to drop him.

We already have two prospective and hungry realtor coming to view and give suggestions tomorrow.
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 03:01 pm
@Linkat,
Yeah, I was going to say that it sounds like a ploy by the other realtor to get you down on your price.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 04:59 pm
@Linkat,
Ah, good move, me thinks.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 07:15 pm
@Butrflynet,
Never a bad idea to remember who is working for whom.
Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 08:02 am
@roger,
Yes - I think this realor was getting soft. He may have been getting alot of his business through relocating companies, like the one I've been working with so he isn't as hungry.

The one positive is - I don't have to use one of their recommended realtor contacts - I can use whoever I want - as my contact said, they do prefer a realtor with prior relocation experience - my take on that is they want some one who knows how to process stuff with a relocation company to make things easier for them.

Me I just want some one who is going to sell our place and work for us.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 01:21 pm
@Linkat,
In either case, you should probably get a hold of that parcel map I mentioned so you'll be able to diagram where the units with water damage are in relation to yours.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 01:28 pm
Another possibiity is that you yourself, in a certified affidavit, state that you have lived in the condo since it was built and there has never been any incident or issue of water damage. If you haven't been there the entire time, state that there is no evidence of previous water damage and there has been none in the time that you have lived there. Inspection to verify is welcomed. Make sure your realtor offers this to other realtors showing the condo.

It of course is your word against the rumor, but it could be reassuring to a potential buyer who doesn't have an opportunity to interview you face to face.

Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 02:58 pm
@Foxfyre,
Thanks all - we plan on mentioning this to our new realtor that we hire.

My hubby met with him today (along with another) - he really liked this one guy and this realtor was making suggestions (similar to ones we thought of and suggested to our prior realtor). Any how our relocation company also talked with him and they also liked him and feel he is qualified.

Ironically we got a call today from our former realtor - he received a call from some one we showed our place to a few weeks ago that wants to see it again. We worked it out that he can show it again and get the commission if we get an offer - especially since we have not signed with anyone else yet.

I don't care who the heck sells it -just as long as it is sold!
0 Replies