Reading your electric bill

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 01:41 pm
I have posted a similar issue before, so I apologize for the redundancy... but

Where.. on your electric bill.. does it state kw per hour charge?
meaning.. if I have 10 kw on my bill.. how can I find out how much I am charged for each one?
My bill is up again yet, for almost 6 weeks now, we have had minimal need for AC. Windows have been open, computers off, and us outside or just plain gone most of the time.
My kw for this month are 800 something. My kw a few months ago was 1200.
Yet there is only a 10 dollar difference. In fact, on average my cost goes up, when my use age goes down .

How can I break this down to understand it better? Am I missing the words some where?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 539 • Replies: 5
No top replies

tycoon

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 03:11 pm
@shewolfnm,
Four hundred less KW's and you only saved $10.00? This doesn't seem right. The numbers are almost as bad as dieting calculations. (What do you mean I have to walk two miles to burn off this puny cookie?)

I don't have my bill in front of me, but I seem to remember my statement clearly displaying the charge per KW. You should call the utility and ask them because I'd like to hear the explanation.

BTW, how does your computer like being shut off? Mine doesn't at all. It has issues, and likes to scare me at each startup.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 03:15 pm
@shewolfnm,
Are you on City of Austin?

Check the back of your bill. It states how many Kilowatt Hours at what rate.

The rate changes during high-demand hours, so it isn't a constant.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 07:50 pm
@shewolfnm,
Wolfie, as an ex-meter reader (was one for 20 years), the first thing I would do is verify that your reading is actually correct. Mistakes are known to happen. Wink

If you're not sure how to do that, check the instructions HERE.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:36 pm
The calculations are done for me on my bill. Take a look at the numbers here and see if it helps you with the formula to use.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/Butrflynet/SOb7Xrjo0gI/AAAAAAAAAdo/LIAr5JQ2Gto/s640/utilitybill.jpg

Things to check for when comparing monthly bills:

1. The billing period. The bill I received at the end of September was actually for the month of August so even though I had turned off everything for nearly the whole month of September, that lesser useage won't be reflected until I get the bill at the end of October.

2. Seasonal rate changes. Here, there are different kilowat charges for the season with the summer rate being higher than the winter rate.

3. There's also a different allowance of kilowat hours before a new level of rates kicks in.

4. Check for new taxes and surcharges. My bill this month has a new Solar surcharge, last month the state surcharge was new. The new year last January brought the new City tax charge.

Okay, let's get to the examples you gave. Let's say that both bills were $150 each and nothing else changed to alter the numbers except for the different number of kilowat hours. No new taxes, surcharges or seasonal rate changes were added.

$150.00 divided by 800 kilowats equals a rate per kilowat hour of $0.1875
$150.00 divided by 1200 kilowats equals a rate per kilowat hour of $0.150

So, if there wasn't a general rate increase then you need to call the utility company and ask for an audit of your bill.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 12:03 am
@Butrflynet,
Not sure if this is your utility company, if it is, there may be some tools on their website that can help you with the analysis.

http://www.austinenergy.com/

My utility company has some online calculators based on the weather here in Sacramento. Our weather patterns are probably pretty similar. If you want, answer the questions for this calculator and I'll run the numbers through and see what it comes up with. The image below is the calculation for my own apartment if you just want to use it for comparison rather than providing data for your own.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/Butrflynet/SOcGNo2TFUI/AAAAAAAAAeI/5iH8kPxbstY/s512/utilitycalculator.jpg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Reading your electric bill
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 06:40:47