I'm joining A.P.I.A.

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 03:58 am
Is anyone else a member or has anyone else ever volunteered for them?

For those unfamiliar, APIA is a bi-partisan organization similar to but less known (also less controversial) than the NAACP only it focuses on issues for Asian-American and Pacific-Islander-American (annotation?) issues in the USA.

I'm planning on volunteering for a voter registration drive here in Northern Virginia, and I just thought I'd ask and see if any other members were here on the forums. Similarly, I'm curious if anyone else has participated in any other sort of ethnic-socio-political groups that are similar.

T
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,203 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 03:59 am
Oh... I meant to put a link up...

http://www.apiavote.org/index.html

T
K
O
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 05:00 am
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
Similarly, I'm curious if anyone else has participated in any other sort of ethnic-socio-political groups that are similar.

I've participated in a lot of Deaf groups which are in fact similar. (Heavy cultural aspect which not everyone is aware of.) I've found such groups especially helpful when I have just moved somewhere. Great way to get to know people in the area. (And Deaf culture is very welcoming, generally.)
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2008 06:02 am
@sozobe,
My older brother taught me how to finger spell when I was 12. I used to check out books from the school library on sign language. I never told him it was because I had a crush on a def girl in my class.

She ended up not liking me, so I never got to show her what I learned. Since then, I've had only a handful of opportunities to use any of the ASL I know.

</side story>

T
K
O
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I'm joining A.P.I.A.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 10:39:50