Electrical question about Batteries for Microphones

dadpad

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 05:56 am
I have an old battery from a microphone. Varta photo V27PX 5.6 V made in Germany. It is a mercury battery and no longer available.
I have researched a recommended replacement battery as being the Exell s27px 6V, which i may be able to get in Melbourne.

Another suggestion is to stack 4 watch batteries together as they are about the right diameter.

My question are
1. Can I use a 6 V battery in a microphone without damaging the Mic.
2. How much leeway do I have on the voltage
3. If I "stack" 4 batteries together, is the voltage 4 x one unit?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,706 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 06:25 am
@dadpad,
Yes ...stacking batteries (like 4 in series) will ADD voltage. Not good. However..if you can find the correct physical battery size with 1/4 of the voltage (1.35-1.4 v) and stack tbose, you could be OK, but I digress.

Mercury batteries, as you may know, are no longer made due to concern for the environment. For what it's worth, that battery, Exell s27px 6V, I believe might be a silver battery - a long lasting battery. So that you aware , an over- voltage of 0.4 v for some (beefier) cuircuits is no big deal. In some circuits, it could prematurely burn out an element or amp circuit if there is one inside.
Perhaps you can post the name and model of microphone in your next thread. that way it can be researched. That way there'd be no guessing.

DO NOT stack 6v batteries. If you stack them in series you will add the voltage together (6v + 6v) ...with bad results. If you put them in parallel (linked across the terminals) they will not fit the space of the mike battery section and would only increase the capacity and current.

You could be OK with a 6v battery of the right physical size.

I know for a fact that 5.6 volt batteries are available. You might need to go where camera products are available. I have a 5.6 v battery in one of my light meters. Post the mike name and model number and we can narrow this down.
Ragman

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 09:25 am
@Ragman,
I did a search using batteries for microphones and got these results: (a good resource website for batteries for every electronic device under the sun):

"Find ANY battery you need"

http://www.allbatterycenter.com/estore/main_application.asp?show=all&PPC=GGL&RefID=Google-Broad-Batteries&gclid=CO2sr_uampUCFQQCagodAQymPA

Equivalent batteries on this website are recommended here. This happens to be similar to what you list (a 6V silver oxide EPX27, ranging in price from $6-$8 . this is available in many camera and specialty electronics shops. I use it in my light meter. I would say that it's OK to use.:

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/estore/search.asp?details=1&searchtype=Y&mscssid=G1JP7TURM2Q59PK4KJVMGVW1XFQMEHL8&Ntt=V27PX+5%26%23248%3B6V&N=0&Dx=mode+matchallany&part_number=DRY1550&Nty=0&D=V27PX+5%26%23248%3B6V&Nu=Part+Number&Ntx=mode+matchallany&part_desc=6V+EPX27+REPLACEMENTS&Ns=product+Type%7C0%7C%7CRank%7C1&Ntk=SearchGroup

ALSO FITS (these batteries are here for cross-reference...notice the discontinued mercury is listed here)

Dantona V27PX

Exell Battery PX27

Exell Battery S27OX (definitely ailver oxide ..longest lasting)

Exell Battery S27PX (perhaps silver..not positive)

Golden Power PX27A

IEC 4AG13 (silver)

IEC 4LR43 (lithium)

IEC 4NR43

IEC EPX27

Interstate Batteries ADRY1550

UCAR EPX27

Varta V27PX (discontinued mercury)

EPX27
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 03:25 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Yes ...stacking batteries (like 4 in series) will ADD voltage.

As long as we do not exceed the original 5.6 V and can fit the stack into the space available I'd be happy using a stack of 1.4V watch batteries or similar. Size is the key issue, from memory the size is H 21mm (.827 inch?) x diam 12 mm (.47?). (checking your links now for sizes). Of course we won't buy from a non Aust supplier but having the correct information size and number will make things easier.

Quote:
Perhaps you can post the name and model of microphone in your next thread. that way it can be researched. That way there'd be no guessing.

Sensible suggestion Ragman. The mike belongs to the local dramtic society and is not in my possession at present. If I can get hold of it I will post here and do some research myself.

Quote:
You might need to go where camera products are available. I have a 5.6 v battery in one of my light meters. Post the mike name and model number and we can narrow this down.

Again size is a critical factor as well as voltage.
fishin

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 04:35 am
@dadpad,
I just ran a really quick search and ran across some adapters for your original battery.
http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_v27px_adapter.htm
http://discontinuedbatteries.com/mebaad.html

Perhaps you can find a way to get yourself one? Semms it would be an easier solution than "rolling your own".
Ragman

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 07:29 am
@dadpad,
The battery with the same size you require is the battery I recommended in my light meter. This is in the links I provided. This shouldn't be hard to find. Try the link I sent or large camera or electronics stores.
dadpad

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:52 am
@fishin,
I was aware of the adaptor (and the price!!!!!), but not aware that it contained a voltage reducer.

I have yet to see what size and voltage I can get watch Batteries in

Thanks fishin.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:58 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
This shouldn't be hard to find. Try the link I sent or large camera or electronics stores.

correct ragman shouldnt be too hard to find but not so easy when its a day trip to the nearest city where larger camera stores are located. I have, however located the exell baattery in a cataloge from January 2007 with a free call number and address in melbourne. So now it depends on the mic. Our sound techie is asking his connections at Melbourne sound and lighting what their thoughts are on voltage and this particular mic.
Ragman

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 01:34 pm
@dadpad,
my educated guess (former amateur radio operator, tech support engineer and audiophile) is that the the 5.6 v should pose no problem. Even a 6v battery (as long as it fits and makes contact) it still should pose no problem or risk to that mic's operation. Even in the-land-down-under, this battery is common enough wherever a large department store is located . Of course, your local shopping centre and mine are quite different.

As a former amateur op, I recall some older (now) carbon element mics needed a battery to "light up" the carbon granules so that it would produce clear voice. the same applies to some mics with a small amp or circuitry in them.

That mic should work fine once the battery is located,I'm sure.
dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 02:43 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
former amateur radio operator, tech support engineer and audiophile

You might be interested in the valve radio I have. its an essex in a hand made cabinet. The cabinet was made as a Royal Sydney Show entry I think in the forties. Still works too.
0 Replies