What creative ways you do to save money.

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 10:55 pm
Don't go out to eat. You spend more even at McDonalds than you would if you buy your own food. Also cook large amounts of food, and eat it several days in a row. Sure, it gets boring, but you're trying to save money, remember? The more of those left overs you eat, the less food you're wasting.

Take your lunch to work. Again, this goes into the "Don't go out to eat." section, but people think "I'm earning money, I can spend a bit for lunch." No. You're trying to save money.

When you buy groceries, ignore the sodas. Yes, you think to yourself, "A two liter is only a couple bucks." And if you go through a few two liters a week, you'll easily shell out 25 bucks a month on soda. The same goes for other things like that. If you notice that you go through tons of milk, start limiting yourself to a small amount a day. Dairy products are pricy. Also, buy stuff on the theory that a few pennies a day adds up. It's really true. Everywhere you can save just a few cents is worth it over a long period of time. It can add up to an extra twenty a month when shopping.

Turn off the lights when you aren't using them. Turn off the heat or A/C when you aren't home. Take quicker showers. Keep a home phone instead of a cell phone.

Overall, the primary trick is saving in everything you do. You'll find you can have an extra hundred bucks a month or so just by doing simple things, such as walking instead of driving when it's reasonable, or being sure to use the bathroom in the morning before you shower, so you save a bit of TP. All of the small things help in the big picture.

What are yours?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,155 • Replies: 22
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 11:22 pm
Go for a couple of days without eating, smoke a joint then go into one of those "All you can eat for $6.95" places. You can't eat that much at home for that price!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:13 am
Bring coffee and tea to work instead of buying it. There's a Starbucks nearby, which would cost me at least $20 a week to keep myself in caffeine. That's $100 a month.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 08:36 am
I save on condoms by pulling out. And I would encourage all you young people out there to do the same.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 10:55 pm
Instead of driving to the supermarket have the wife walk there. Saves gas and makes her fit!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 11:14 pm
instead of eating, smoke a lot. you'll die many years sooner, just imagine the amount of money saved!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 11:40 pm
Skip sweets and chips. On meat, which I still like, I've gone from cheapo cold cut crappo back to the once in a while excellent choice, though never top, from a good butcher. I meter out the real sausages for sauces or soups, sometimes.

I'm the only person on a2k, I think, who makes fish soup, other than a bouilliabaise, however you spell that. Even at the best of times I could never afford that or a real cioppino. I do sometimes use tinned sardines in a fish soup, to most people here's courteously silent ewww. Fish in my new local environs is like a foreign figment, and if captured, to be fried to death again and again before serving - thus a plate of near concrete. Only one restaurant I've been to in, what, 2.5 years, has the slightest clue about fish.

I now add a mashed anchovy or two to some veg soups. Oh, watch the EWWWWs ..
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:20 am
Rebate & coupon.

I haven't paid a penny for toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, certain types of makeup, mouthwash, pain reliever type pills, tooth brushes, deorderant, hand lotion, and quite a few other things, in over 10 years.

In fact, I get so many free products in brands that aren't my favorite, I take them down to the local hospice and donate them. They are most grateful and alway need them.

watch for 2 for 1 coupons at restaurants. I'll call when leaving work and order take away from a place on the way home, and we get a nice restaurant meal for 2 people for much less then cooking at home.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:30 am
Quote:
being sure to use the bathroom in the morning before you shower

was that one for real?

Chai...tell me HOW you go about doing that? Just watch for rebates at the stores for whatever brand? How much time does it take?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 06:26 am
I'll find the link I talked about rebating later, but in the meantime mismi, start off by reading THIS THREAD

some major cost saving **** here.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 07:40 am
I'm disappointed that Primotivo didn't say something along the lines of "refuse to pay the hooker."
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 10:28 am
If the kids beg you to go out to eat - go to one of those wholesale places like BJs or Costco. Bring your kids around and eat all the free samples you want.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:59 pm
Chai wrote:
I haven't paid a penny for toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, certain types of makeup, mouthwash, pain reliever type pills, tooth brushes, deorderant, hand lotion, and quite a few other things, in over 10 years.

Of course, now no one wants to get near you!
0 Replies

Primotivo

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 06:01 pm
DrewDad wrote:
I'm disappointed that Primotivo didn't say something along the lines of "refuse to pay the hooker."

That's because your mom gives me free ones. Laughing

You walked into that one. Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 07:44 pm
You're mom warned me you'd be around again.

I wasn't the only one there, though, so she might not have been talking to me.

And her mouth was full, so she mumbled a bit.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:14 pm
I take all my available cash and put it on the floor in front of the TV tuned to Oral Roberts. When he starts talking about Jesus Saving I roll around on my money to get into the rapturous fever so my money will be "Saved." That way my saved money can be welcome in eternity.

Rap
0 Replies

Primotivo

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 09:23 pm
Praise Jesus!
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 11:07 pm
i use the envelope system and prepay a month ahead.

it works.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 11:10 pm
oh yeah! anyways i got a dresser free, 2 coffee tables free, a couch, a table,iron, microwave, myriad radios/stereos, 4 tv stands, and a tv for absolutely free.

all i had to do was fix and clean the stuff.

im really ghetto. suits me fine. (did i mention they were all pure BLACK? woohoo!)

all matching my computer. eeer dead computer Sad
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 11:11 pm
Re: What creative ways you do to save money.
Primotivo wrote:
Don't go out to eat. You spend more even at McDonalds than you would if you buy your own food. Also cook large amounts of food, and eat it several days in a row. Sure, it gets boring, but you're trying to save money, remember? The more of those left overs you eat, the less food you're wasting.

Take your lunch to work. Again, this goes into the "Don't go out to eat." section, but people think "I'm earning money, I can spend a bit for lunch." No. You're trying to save money.

When you buy groceries, ignore the sodas. Yes, you think to yourself, "A two liter is only a couple bucks." And if you go through a few two liters a week, you'll easily shell out 25 bucks a month on soda. The same goes for other things like that. If you notice that you go through tons of milk, start limiting yourself to a small amount a day. Dairy products are pricy. Also, buy stuff on the theory that a few pennies a day adds up. It's really true. Everywhere you can save just a few cents is worth it over a long period of time. It can add up to an extra twenty a month when shopping.

Turn off the lights when you aren't using them. Turn off the heat or A/C when you aren't home. Take quicker showers. Keep a home phone instead of a cell phone.

Overall, the primary trick is saving in everything you do. You'll find you can have an extra hundred bucks a month or so just by doing simple things, such as walking instead of driving when it's reasonable, or being sure to use the bathroom in the morning before you shower, so you save a bit of TP. All of the small things help in the big picture.

What are yours?

actually, dude its like 3 dollar meals. once a day? cant ebat mickey deez
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What creative ways you do to save money.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 09:31:49