The end of "supersize me"?

Ragman

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 12:18 pm
I'm no expert on this, but generally it can be because of allowing for expansion. If you weigh it, and it isn't at the stated weight, then obviously you got a case. However, the do with shipping they have to make sure the cans don't 'splode on ya.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 12:21 pm
I don't question the posted weight. I just don't recall if the weight in the can is the same as in the past, or if the extra water would account for the weight.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 12:43 pm
DrewDad wrote:
The manufacturer is really saving money by shrinking the amount in the package; the goal is to make the consumer buy the product more often.

Oops. I meant "the manufacturer is not really saving money...."
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 12:54 pm
A lot of outsized, elaborate packaging is designed to deter shoplifting.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 12:57 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I opened a can of Honey Boy pink salmon, for lunch. The content came 3/4 of an inch below the rim. I don't know for certain that they shorted it, because it has been a long time since I opened one. I get suspicious of everything anymore.

I bought some cans of tuna last weekend, was the same price as bumble bee or chicken of the sea, but I thought I'd try this one.

I was going to make a pasta salad with it.

I opened the first can and it was mostly filled with water, with bits of tuna in it. Evil or Very Mad

I then shook the other two can, and could tell they were full of liquid too. Had to use them since I only had one other can of tuna in the house.

Well, my kitty cats think I make the best "tuna fish juice soup" in the world, so they had a real bonanza.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 01:21 pm
I poured forever, putting the salmon water in the dog's dish.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 01:55 pm
On my good and thrifty days, I drain canned fish into a freezer container and freeze the liquid for fish stews.

Current Dog is a red meat girl.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 09:54 am
THE PEOPLE HAVE PREVAILED!!!!

At the market yesterday, I passed the breakfast sausage section.

Jimmy Dean Sausage in all varieties of flavors, is available in 16 oz. chubs.

Thank you Mr. Texas guy, for letting "The Man" know how the public feels.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 10:16 am
Re: The end of "supersize me"?
Chai wrote:
Driving home, I caught the tail end of an interview on NPR, regarding the economy.

All I really heard of the last part of it was the person being interviewed talking about how some business are now making smaller packages of products, rather than cut the price. He said how they hoped the "myopic public" would not notice they are being "cheated"

But are we?

It's not so much smaller packages as less in the packages for the same cost.

Ben Popken on NPR

Quote:
Main
The Consumerist's Ben Popken on NPR's "All Things Considered"

By JLP | July 11, 2008

Yesterday, Ben Popken from the Consumerist was on NPR's "All Things Considered" talking about how the products we purchase at the grocery store are shrinking and yet we're paying the same amount!

One thing that they didn't talk about was just HOW EXPENSIVE these size reductions turn out to be. For instance, Tropicana recently reduced their 96oz. containers to "new improved" 89oz. containers but left the price the same (for this example we'll say the price is $3.99 per container). What was the price increase as a percentage?

Here's a look at the math:

http://allfinancialmatters.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/tropicana.gif

Quote:
Notice that the size reduction of 7.29% means a PRICE INCREASE of 7.87%! To put that in perspective, if Tropicana simply raised the price of the 96oz. container by the same percentage, the new price would be $4.30! This is why companies like size reductions. They're much sneakier and give the companies much more leeway to significantly raise prices!

the audio link is at the linked article
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 10:23 am
The "grocery shrink ray"

http://consumerist.com/tag/grocery-shrink-ray/

even the babybel cheese is under attack!

http://consumerist.com/assets/images/consumerist/2008/07/Sad.jpg

babybel
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 10:49 am
Have you guys TASTED the maple sausage? Gross!!! The sage isn't quite as bad but we prefer the plain or with just enough pepper to add a little bite. But we were Texas born and bred too, so it's probably a regional cultural thing. (I got to interview Jimmy Dean once when I was a summer intern on the Plainview (TX) Daily Herald. His mother used to cut my husband's hair. His brother was our milk man.)

I HATE oversized packaging of anything. I think the new concentrated laundry detergents in containers half the size are great. They actually fit into the laundryroom cupboard and don't have to sit out on top of the dryer. I HATE oversized cereal boxes 2/3rds full of cereal or oversized anything else that take up precious storage space in the pantry. I am grown up enough to buy a product on its own merits and don't have to be tricked into thinking I'm getting better value for an ounce of cereal or whatever based on the packaging. Smart shoppers do the math on that anyway, but maybe there's a lot of dumb shoppers out there.

I do appreciate having a choice of sizes to buy so I appreciate that 12 oz package of Jimmy Dean sausage when I'm feeding two or three. That's provided they don't charge me the 16-oz price for it. Otherwise we buy the 16oz, cut it in half and freeze half. On the frequent occasions that I feed a small army here, the large economy sizes of stuff can be great.

I do wish the old sizes of stuff were still seen as normal portions.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 02:23 pm
Re: The end of "supersize me"?
ehBeth wrote:
Chai wrote:
Driving home, I caught the tail end of an interview on NPR, regarding the economy.

All I really heard of the last part of it was the person being interviewed talking about how some business are now making smaller packages of products, rather than cut the price. He said how they hoped the "myopic public" would not notice they are being "cheated"

But are we?

It's not so much smaller packages as less in the packages for the same cost.

I covered that on page 2 of this thread.....

yes, he did seem very upset about that maple and sage situation.

anyway...

I guess what it boils down to for me is, would you rather pay more for too much food, or the same price for a little less?

I'd opt for the 2nd, because that amount is enough.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 02:29 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I do wish the old sizes of stuff were still seen as normal portions.

You got it babe. That's what I'm talking about.

Curtailing supersizing everything, as if giving selling bigger portions is automatically an improvement.

To me, I don't see anything sneaky going on, if you use your brain. Which would be another good thing for some people in the world to start doing.

Economics.

The manufacturer can either raise the price and give you the same amount or keep the price the same and give you less.

Looking around, I think it's easy to establish we can easily do with less.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 02:37 pm
The NPR piece wasn't about supersizing - it was about the increased cost per unit of product - while attempting to hide it.

I do have an issue with manufacturers and distributers attempting to make it difficult for consumers to determine what they're actually paying for.

We do have an advantage here in that most stores show us the unit cost on pretty much every product, but you do have to pay attention.

On the consumer site I linked they gave the example of the double pack of toothpaste - where the packaging looks like it is two standard tubes of toothpaste, but it's actually one regular tube and one small sample size (with extra cardboard filling up the space). The deal isn't actually a deal - and not all consumers are savvy enough to spot that.

I can pretty much take care of myself in a store - but that doesn't mean I'm going to accept rip-off attempts like that which will work on others.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 02:44 pm
Stores here post the price for a certain size pkg such as 16-oz spaghettit vs 32 oz spaghetti. Sometimes they post the unit price on the price sticker, but usually you have to do the math yourself to determine which is the more economical or if the unit cost is the same. It is not at all unusual to save money buying 3 1-lb cans coffee instead of the 3-lb can, but you have to do the math to figure it out--especially when the 3-lb can is listed as being on sale but still figures out more per ounce than the small cans. A calculator is standard equipment when I go grocery shopping. Smile
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 02:44 pm
Then, as I said, many people should start using what's inside their cranium, so they won't be unaware.

I don't feel ripped off.

96 oz of juice? How much is wasted? I thrown out food I didn't need but had no choice in buying a lot more often than needing to go out and buy more.

I mentioned the npr story because it got me thinking.....and this is what I got to thinking about.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 03:23 pm
I'd rather get what it says and looks like I'll get! lol.

But if there is more for the same price (which usually isn't the case) and it is something that I am buying anyways, yeah, I do buy the bigger portion size.

I don't usually buy anything I didn't want in the first place just cause it's cheap though. Which saves a lot of money. I buy what I want - period.

But growing up as I did, and knowing that I can pass food on to someone - I'll buy bigger for the same price as a smaller portion.

I really don't need or want others determining my portion sizes. For huge or small or adequate. I buy mostly bulk to start.

By the by: I do think there is a portion size trend starting or going on now. Some restaurants are offering it - "proper portion menu" and some packages are jumping on the bandwagon.

Per usual, it's another way to not be outright about things. Overpriced, and not what I wanted in the first place.

Oy! I bitch , and bitch.

It is easier to simply buy bulk, and fresh, and f the rest of em!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 12:27:22