Every country should have nukes...

Francis

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 07:09 am
Why build the nuke weapons, if they are not going to use them?

In terms of logic, it leaves to be desired..
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 07:11 am
Chumly wrote:
A weapons' historical usage is not an inherent argument as to its predicted usage.

Such a claim is a logical fallacy.

From a man who cant see the value of the metric system and thinks that base 12 is easier.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 07:12 am
Francis wrote:
Why build the nuke weapons, if they are not going to use them?

In terms of logic, it leaves to be desired..
Nope, the "logic" is clear enough.
Quote:
A nuclear deterrent is the phrase used to refer to a country's nuclear weapons arsenal, when considered in the context of deterrence theory.

Deterrence theory holds that nuclear weapons are intended to deter other states from attacking with their nuclear weapons, through the promise of retaliation and mutually assured destruction (MAD). It can also be assigned as a response to an attack by conventional forces; for example, the doctrine of massive retaliation threatened to launch US nuclear weapons in response to Soviet attacks.

In order for a nuclear deterrent to be successful, a country must preserve its second-strike capability. A nuclear deterrent is sometimes composed of a nuclear triad, as in the case of the nuclear weapons owned by the United States. Other countries, such as the United Kingdom, have only sea-based nuclear weapons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_deterrent
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 07:14 am
dadpad wrote:
Chumly wrote:
A weapons' historical usage is not an inherent argument as to its predicted usage.

From a man who cant see the value of the metric system and thinks that base 12 is easier.
Why don't eggs come in 10's?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 07:16 am
Poof, poof!

You are telling me that guns are deterrents for crimes, while your statistics show the opposite.

Your are telling me that the death penalty is a deterrent for crimes, while your statistics show the opposite.

Same mistake as Old Europe.

Seeing it from a short time span perspective.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 07:25 am
eggs come from hens chumly HENS not tens and they lay them singly.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 07:32 am
Mine come from the refrigerator in a dozen.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 07:41 am
Chumly wrote:

Your chickens will live longer if you let them out of the fridge.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 07:55 am
Re: Every country should have nukes...
Francis wrote:

More guns - less crimes.

Pure nonsense...

Sorry, you got that one wrong.
It's an absolute fact that more guns = less crime.

http://www.klamathbasincrisis.org/bookstore/images/moreguns.jpg
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 08:00 am
dadpad wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Your chickens will live longer if you let them out of the fridge.
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/7756/ak03coolchickoe5.gif
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 08:10 am
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l19/luvfuzzies/icon-misc/chickenGun.jpg
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 08:45 am
old europe wrote:
Well, I think we all agree by now that self-defense is a fundamental, universal, God given right. Countries have an inherent right to defend themselves, and to the means to defend themselves, and other countries have no moral authority to grant the right only at their pleasure and under their control.

Nuclear weapons are the final bulwark against neighbouring countries, should they ever go out of control. If every country was in possession of nukes, it would make a lot of people safer. An invading country would then always be aware of what it is getting into.

Armed invasions, i.e. those in which the invading country knows it is invading a place with an nuclear armed defence force, are very rare - in fact, not a single one has ever happened. In contrast to that, armed invasions are the rule and not the exception in places like Africa or the Middle East, where the 'international community' has effectively disarmed countries and denied them the right to own nuclear weapons.

There are many places where there are lots of nuclear weapons, but effectively nothing in the way of wars - Britain, the United States, and France for instance.

There are places where there is a non-nuclear conflict rate far in excess of the nuclear armed countries' total (nuclear + non-nuclear) conflict rate.

And those countries that have huge nuclear arsenal didn't suddenly have a big spike in nuclear conflicts when their governments started placing nuclear missile silos everywhere.

It's therefore quite logical to argue that non-proliferation treaties only take nuclear weapons away from law abiding countries - the kind you really want on your side. Rogue countries will acquire nuclear weapons in any case, whether we sanction it or not. However, if you outlaw nuclear weapons, only lawless countries will have nukes.

Bottom line: every country should have nuclear weapons.

It tells the bad guys that more potential victims will have nukes for self defence. Everybody is safer - everybody wins.

More nuclear weapons - less wars.

Self-defense is certainly a fundamental, inherent right of all living beings, but just as we deny gun ownership to felons and the insane, nuke ownership may be denied to analogous rogue nations.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 08:57 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Self-defense is certainly a fundamental, inherent right of all living beings, but just as we deny gun ownership to felons and the insane, nuke ownership may be denied to analogous rogue nations.

Who would deny a country nuke ownership? Who makes the call whether or not a whole country is 'insane'. Other countries?

That would be like a mob banding together, declaring someone insane and denying him his God given right to own and bear guns.

Every country has an inherent right to defend itself. No other country has the moral authority to grant or deny that right, or to declare what means of self-defence are appropriate.

More nukes - less wars.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 09:01 am
old europe wrote:
More nukes - less wars.

0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 09:08 am
I say every country should have nukes and every last citizen, starting from age 7,no, wait, 5... or as soon as they are able to lift the gun, should carry a gun. not THAT sounds like the most reasonable path to peace. I've never heard of anything more sane Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 09:09 am
old europe wrote:
If nuclear weapons kill people, where are yours hiding all the bodies?

Dammit, you stole my line.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 09:15 am
It iz better to HAV a nook and not need it
Than to NEED a nook and not hav it.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 09:17 am
Nookie for everyone !!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 09:21 am
that actually makes a lot more sense
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 09:23 am
Chumly - you're just a pinko commie naysayer.

Dasha - that's the spirit!

Drewdad - I knew I could count on you!

H2O_MAN - thanks for your support.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 09:58:45