Date Yourself...

Roberta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:12 am
What was the first TV show you remember watching? Howdy Doody

First record/cd you purchased with your own money? Don't Be Cruel, (Elvis), 78 rpm

Favorite outfit in high school? Gold straight skirt (with a slit), gold and black checked blouse, black leather belt (girls weren't allowed to wear pants)

First car you drove? Don't drive

Favorite band in college? The Beatles

First president you voted for? Humphrey
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:41 am
Don't remember FIRST tv show, but loved Land of the Lost. As a family it was usually Bonanza, Big Valley, Red Skelton, Hee Haw, a John Wayne movie,... eventually I got to choose and when I did it was always Six Million Dollar Man! HOT!

First album I bought myself, not sure. My early "collection" was mostly Donny Osmond, The Lettermen and stuff my step mom would pick up at yard sales (Love Potion #9) Laughing First ones I remember going to the record store and purchasing myself was Shaun Cassidy and that one John Travolta did that opened up to a double album picture of him in tight white pants.

High school clothes were basically just jeans and a t, or for colder weather I had a rainbow of wool sweaters with my monogram in the center of the chest. (Was that just a Missouri thing?)

First car I drove was a 78 Mercury Grand Marquee if you don't count the Chevy truck or tractor and manure spreader pre-license.

Favorite band in college... Kenny Logins. He put his chin on my roomates head in the pic we got with him backstage. She was thrilled! When we moved from the dorm to an apartment and got a puppy, we named her after Kenny's son- Cosby. We were weird.

First Presidential vote would have been '92 although I could have voted in '84.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 03:43 pm
What was the first TV show you remember watching?
Hmm might be Chiller Theater though I do recall the '68 moon landing.

First record/cd you purchased with your own money?
Either Harry Chapin's Verities and Balderdash or Jim Croce's Photographs and Memories. Before that, though, my mother bought me something or other from John Denver.

Favorite outfit in high school?
Brown cowl neck sweater, tan/white carpenter pants, a brown bandanna for a belt, a tan bandanna tied through the hammer loop and tan Frye boots. Sometimes a headband, too.

First car you drove?
Dad's taxi yellow Vega station wagon, in '81. It was a '76, I think.

Favorite band in college?
Either Joe Jackson or Nick Lowe.

First president you voted for?
1980, John Anderson.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 04:32 pm
JPB wrote:
...Favorite HS Outfit: elephant leg bell bottoms, halter top...

Your folks let you wear halter tops??? I am SOOOO jealous!

When I was 16, I bought one with my saved-up allowance, and they made me take it back to the store! Talk about embarrassing...I thought I was gonna die.

Laughing
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 09:41 pm
Re: Date Yourself...
Dodo the kid from Outer Space
http://www.toontracker.com/dodo/dodo.jpg

Vinyl - Emerson, Lake and Palmer Live, Welcome back my friends...

Jeans, Short Sleeves, Sneakers

First car you drove?
1973 Mercury Capri (POS)
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/7267/73capri478ts4.jpg

Jean Luc-Ponty

don't remember
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 09:50 pm
Eva wrote:
JPB wrote:
...Favorite HS Outfit: elephant leg bell bottoms, halter top...

Your folks let you wear halter tops??? I am SOOOO jealous!

When I was 16, I bought one with my saved-up allowance, and they made me take it back to the store! Talk about embarrassing...I thought I was gonna die.

Laughing

yeah, I was the youngest of four kids. They were pretty worn out by the time I came along. I got away with all sorts of stuff my sisters didn't. :wink:
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 09:58 pm
I want Wandel's first car...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 10:04 pm
Ok, I'll cop to Howdy Doody. I was even in the audience once, from no effort of my own, being eight.

Still, I think my parents had the news on daily, thus, John Cameron Swayze before Howdy Doody (4th floor, RKO, 106th St.?) or anything else.
And later some strange commercial re a watch under water by JCSwayze, I think.

Not long after, a friend of my dad's had a program called Danger is My Business - was on the tv for at least a couple of years. He was an early deep sea diver, I think slightly before Cousteau, if not as innovative, not that I have a clue. He had been way up in the armed forces and knew what he was doing diving, using all what to us now are very old fashioned masks. I remember him talking at our dinner table many times. John Craig was the name. What can I say but rest in peace to both him and my father.

Oh, wait. Howdy Doody was at about 4:30 New York Time. The news was later.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 10:55 pm
Batman

Alan Parsons Project, Games People Play, Cassette tape

Members Only jacket, jeans, and high tops.

First car you drove?
1963 Mercury Comet

Pink Floyd

Reagan ... his second term
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:09 pm
Members Only jacket in '63?

I'm so slow...
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:50 pm
Rockhead wrote:
I want Wandel's first car...

I wish I still had mine, Rockhead.

There is a website for collectors of this car:
PlymouthBarracuda.net
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 10:02 am
ossobuco wrote:
Members Only jacket in '63?

I'm so slow...

When I drove it, it wasn't new. :wink:
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 04:22 pm
What was the first TV show you remember watching? I remember a "snapshot" very early -- the edges of the screen were round. When I described it to my mother she said it sounded like Eisenhower's inauguration in 1953. First real show I remember has to be Cap'n Penny, a local kid's show.

First record/cd you purchased with your own money? Meet the Beatles. Wish I still had it.

Favorite outfit in high school? Black pleated skirt, white buttondown oxford shirt, paisley tie, black stockings, black winklepickers, black newsboy cap.

First car you drove? Mercury Comet, aqua, not sure of the year (1963?) First one I liked? 1964 VW bug (black, of course).

Favorite band in college? Blind Faith / any blues I could get my hands on (it was pretty white where I grew up...).

First president you voted for? McGovern.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 04:59 pm
The courtship of Eddie's father

Rock 80 (it was a cassette tape. CD's weren't invented yet)

I was on the Tall Flag squad which was part of our marching band. We got to choose our Friday attire: white stirrup pants with a yellow t-shirt (with name on it) and a blue and gold 'letterman' style sweater, yellow socks and white tennis shoes.

First car you drove?
Ford Country Squire station wagon

Jethro Tull

Ross Perot - ok so he never actually got to be president but I thought it was very brave of him to run as a third party in our two party system.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Date Yourself...
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 12:04:20