KNITTING

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:43 am
A few weeks ago I decided to start a Dr Who scarf, so I Googled and got the pattern, and then started more searching and found out that there seems to be a lot of people knitting Dr Who scarves. That got me to wondering if there was a Knitting topic or thread in A2K that someone else may have started up, and if they did, I just don't know where to look.
If there was such a place for me to spend some time, I'd probably be able to ask to share knitting patterns and even ask for a pattern for a doggie coat. So there it is, my fumbling attempt to find out if there is a place for knitters to go for a bit of R & R.
Von.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,114 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 08:52 am
The Girl is always doin' that knitting stuff, so i'll send her a PM to ask her to look at this thread.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 10:52 am
Hi Vonda: we've had a couple of threads about knitting - and there has been discussion of knitting in a couple of general conversations - but I don't recall a Dr. Who scarf thread.

There are some nice, easy patterns for dog coats on the web. I've got some links saved on the computer at home (but don't ask Set to find them Laughing )

Let's talk knitting!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 04:38 pm
http://www.redlipstick.net/knit/chihswe.html

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/diy/jacket.htm

http://www.doggoneknit.com/
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:33 pm
KNITTING
Thanks for your reply. With so many (uncountable?) places in A2K for everything under the sun, maybe a special Knitting site wouldn't be too much to ask. I am beginning to imagine such a place where knitters could post pictures of their favourite creations. The Dr Who scarf I am tackling at the moment is only about 5' long so far. Some people are only interested in a Dr Who scarf if it has only knitted in the official colour pattern, as seen on Dr Who himself on TV. My opinion is that the scarf could be any colour and pattern a person desires providing it is the Dr Who size .. that matters.
22 feet long is what I believe the true length to be. There was some sort of a 'copyright' fuss over the official Dr Who scarf pattern, which makes me think it would be a great idea to see what other colour schemes could be thought up along the way, thus avoiding any hiccups with The-Powers-That-Be over any copyright disputes, after all, I think it would be a bit Over-The-Top if the copyright people tried to stop knitters from knitting a scarf of their own colour code that just happens to be a bit on the lengthy side. I would like to vote for a special place in A2K for KNITTERS. Very Happy
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 09:19 pm
I'm a nutty knitter, or previous knitter...hello, you two.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 09:37 pm
I'm a crocheter. Have done some knitting in the past, but prefer crochet. I also have one of those tabletop knitting machines that were a fad about 15 years ago. I used it to make placemats and a shawl, but that's about it.

BBB used to be a fantastic crocheter before the arthritis in her hands got too painful for her to continue. She made me several vibrantly colored queen-sized bedspreads when she was able.

I spend my winters making hats and neck scarves that I then take up to the neighborhood homeless shelter. Am also working on a huge afghan for my bed using the popcorn stitch, but don't progress much on it except in the very cold winter months.

BBB's Aunt Luella was a prolific knitter. She made entire suits of clothing for herself as well as knitted coats and lace doilies. Up until she died at the age of 100, she used to unravel skeins of yarn to separate the threads. She'd then use those threads to make knitted hats, booties and blankets for the local Children's agencies.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 05:29 pm
I really do love to knit. I find it very relaxing to pick up some yarn, a set of needles and get to it.

This past winter I was working on a project to tidy up a space in my living room - found a bag of all sorts of yarn in the middle of some clutter. Made up a crazy gorgeous scarf out of all the mixed yarn textures and colours (about 9" wide by 15' long of mixed patterns). I figured it was a good use of the yarn and once I get bored with the scarf I could donate it somewhere. However someone wanted it so much, she's getting it as a gift. That scarf of many colours got a lot of compliments (and is marvellously warm too).
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 08:52 pm
KNITTING
As with most things I tackle, there is a method in my madness because I have discovered I am able to lose a little bit of weight rather than putting it on when I knit. The answer is in doing something with my fingers while watching TV instead of nibbling. This is the first time I have tackled a Dr Who scarf and although I have tried to keep the authentic colours, it isn't easy, so in the end, it won't look identical in shades, just in size. Another simple piece of knitting I've been doing is a nice little dolls dress, all done in one piece and just garter stitch. Couldn't do any fancy knitting while trying to watch TV, that's for sure. The dress starts off with 140 stitches for skirt and just tapers off at the waist for the bodice. I've made several of those. And back to scarves, I've made over a dozen of your everyday common garden variety, and I used that fluffy yarn to add a bit of variety into them. When I tried to use only the "Feathers" or "Lashes" yarn, it was impossible for me to find any dropped stitch I might accidently lose, so in desperation I decided to use regular yarn as well, knitting 2 rows of the regular yarn, using a colour to complitment the fancy yarn, and 2 rows of the fancy yarn, and the results have been quite stunning. I did the single rib... you know.. I plain, 1 purl, for those scarves but the Dr Who scarf stipulates garter throughout. I reckon single rib would have looked ok as well. Very Happy
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 08:10 am
Butrflynet
Butrflynet, I may still have, but not sure, a yellow and cream popcorn stitch bedspread in a packing box somewhere. I will have to see if I can find it and send it to you.

BBB
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 04:41 pm
Re: KNITTING
Vonda1941 wrote:
As with most things I tackle, there is a method in my madness because I have discovered I am able to lose a little bit of weight rather than putting it on when I knit. The answer is in doing something with my fingers while watching TV instead of nibbling.

It's also an excellent hobby when you're trying to quit smoking - it's difficult to knit and smoke at the same time Very Happy
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 02:52 am
Knitting
Well, I'm still at it, with the Dr Who scarf.
Only a few more feet to go. When it is done it will be in excess of 20'.
The printer has been running hot as I print off pictures of other peoples wonderful creations.
At first I thought it was a big MUST to have the colour schemes just exactly as in the original seasons 12, 15, 16, & 18 of Dr Who, but from what I've seen of other peoples creations, it seems that just so long as the scarf is l-o-n-g and has big/wide stripes, then that is enough to deem it to be a Dr Who Scarf. Just so long as the colours are near enough to the original colours, so I have come to understand.
And when it is done I'll take a photo of it and see if I can get it onto Chris Brimelow's website doctorwhoscarf.com. He has created a section exclusively for knitters of Dr Who scarves. There is a lot of stuff out there in cyberspace about Dr Who, and I have only just come upon it all, just because I decided to knit a Dr Who scarf. Where will it end?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 03:34 am
My wife does a neat thing to set up color schemes. She rolls up her yarn dye lot ends into little balls and keeps them in a very large glass chemical jar. The balls lay net to each other and develop random color schemes that can be very interesting.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » KNITTING
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 06:15:02