Screw You Lady!!!

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 06:07 am
so....i'm pulling into work today - actually we're pulling in because dh drops me off at work. The 'drop off' or front area of my workplace is a 2 lane curved drive-thru type. Includes a 3rd area where 2 cars can fit to sit for a few minutes.

Anyway...we pull in to the drive right behind this car (the car had just pulled in as well). ALTHOUGH there is plenty of space in both lanes AND the sit-spot, this car stops about 8 ft into the driveway. I pull in and of course - the end of my car is out.

The passenger (who works here!!!!) is being dropped off and gets out, I smile, and motion if she could get the drive to pull up a little. She opens the back door to let the kid inside out as well and gives me a look that says "screw you lady" - only not so nice.

I am so sick of the me me me attitude. What happened to people being generally and GENUINELY courteous? I don't let EVERYONE get over in front of me when i'm driving, but i let a good many - enough that dh remarks sometimes "are we going to get there or just keep getting behind everyone else?"

I get a little bit sad everytime something highlights the [what to me is pervasive] attitude and feeling of 'me first, my friend second, you MAYBE, MAYBE NOT. It seems that few people know what kindness is anymore. Few people are aware that you can get a rise in this good-feeling endorphins by just being nice and doing someone a good turn. Sometimes it's even downright nastiness and it really really bums me out.

I'm just sick of it. I sat right down at my desk and wrote this because if i didn't i think i'd have screamed. i just had to get it out.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,749 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 06:24 am
Good..... glad you wrote it out.... don't let it eat you up hun...

You keep doing what you're doing and maybe others will learn a little from you - manners don't cost anything - and if you keep to holding your values - your're right, it makes you feel better. Try not to let others disappoint you - especially strangers. It's not worth it.

Keep yer chin up girl Smile
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 06:25 am
I think it's just general stupidity. They get rewarded for bad behaviour so they think it's normal.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 06:50 am
I think the current epidemic of rudeness is a sign of hard time. People feel threatened and react defensively--even offensively--when the situation doesn't call for any sort of hostile action.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 06:58 am
There are a million theories. Here's another...
People like that are unhappy and powerless in their lives so they have to take the little bit that they can, like cutting you off on the xpressway or tying things up at the grocery checkout. I try to take deep breaths and sincerely wish them well.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 07:03 am
I hate people who think you owe them the cut in the traffic line...even though they've sped up and driven to the point of no return in the blocked or ended lane in an attempt to get ahead of everyone else.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 07:46 am
Izzie wrote:
Good..... glad you wrote it out.... don't let it eat you up hun...

You keep doing what you're doing and maybe others will learn a little from you - manners don't cost anything - and if you keep to holding your values - your're right, it makes you feel better. Try not to let others disappoint you - especially strangers. It's not worth it.

Keep yer chin up girl Smile

Exactly what I was thinking. When things like that happen, I try to take that tacit that perhaps by me being helpful and nice it may rub off. Ever see that commercial that shows that? One person picks up a toy a little kid drops some else witnesses that and then helps an old lady cross the street - some one else witnesses that and so on.

I am not always successful in feeling that way and often times feel the same as you, but who knows it could rub off - at least I feel it has rubbed off on my children.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 07:48 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I hate people who think you owe them the cut in the traffic line...even though they've sped up and driven to the point of no return in the blocked or ended lane in an attempt to get ahead of everyone else.

Yep...that is annoying. That is when I am taking a deep breath and letting them over before they do something stupid and hurt someone. I think people feel invincible sometimes when they are in their cars. Too many outside factors to drive like a bat out of hell everywhere you go.

I admit to my own lead foot. But now that I have kids in the car with me most of the time, I have learned to slow down and keep a watch.

We are such a right now society and very much "me" oriented. I do believe it overflows either way. A kind act begets a kind act...a mean one - another mean one. Not always...

I love to write out my angst Onyxelle...helps tremedously. I hope your day is a good one in spite of the icky beginning!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 07:57 am
Bella Dea wrote:

I've actually done this on a rare occasion - when I had to pick up my kid(s) from school/daycare and traffic was considerably worse than usual (I always live early and give amble time when needing to pick up the kids). So when some one cuts me off when I'm driving home from work, I think that possibly they need to pick their child up at daycare or school by a certain time and really need to get there quickly. I once did something like that and when I came to a red light and the woman I did this to was next to me, I rolled down my window and apologized explaining my situation - there had been a water main break causing me to be late and I needed to get my kid.

Another thought - maybe that person had a really bad morning where everything just went wrong. Sometimes I try to think that way too - that person must have had a really hard morning or day to act that way.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:02 am
That's a good way to think Linkat.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:06 am
Just show 'em your piece. :wink:
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:13 am
You know - that happened here. A lady cut another lady off. At the exit ramp, the one that got cut off got out of her car and walked to the car that cut her off. The lady pulled out her "piece" and shot her dead. She had kids in her car that saw. Both did I think. House wives. Good grief. I would never pull out a gun...and I sure as hell will never get out of my car to confront someone...not this day and age.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:16 am
It was tongue in cheek. :wink:
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:17 am
I know...sorry - just reminded me of that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:19 am
My advice in a situation like that - if you can, run them over. If you can't, then make sure you shoot first.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:21 am
my advice...stay in the damn car!
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:21 am
cjhsa wrote:
My advice in a situation like that - if you can, run them over. If you can't, then make sure you shoot first.
That was good Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:23 am
cjhsa wrote:
I think it's just general stupidity. They get rewarded for bad behaviour so they think it's normal.

How are they getting rewarded?

For instance, in Ony's case, what was her reward for not pulling in a few feet more so others could use the drop off area as well?

I see a lot of people being oblivious to their surroundings. I'm not sure why this is. I mean, we all have moments were we didn't realize we were in someone's way, or unintentionally bump into someone while walking around. However, it seems to me almost like an effort on some people's part to pretend they don't see you.

Here's something that happens to me on a daily basis, or at least on days when I'm out in public. I can relate it to the car situation.

I will be walking along, like down a sidewalk, through a parking lot along the backs of the cars, heading for the buildings, or down the aisle of a store.....or, the worst place, the (shudder) mall.

Someone who can obviously see you is walking towards you, from some weird angle, and you can immediately see that the 2 of you are going to intersect.

In my mind I'm thinking "OK, they obviously can see me, I'm walking along the "path", they are sort of aimed at some point in the distance, and are heading directly towards it.

They will literally walk into you, and give you "the look" for not getting out of their way. The strange thing is, this mostly happens when there are yards of space around the both of you

As I age, this is particularly annoying when it is someone in their teens, or early 20's.

ony, you're doing the right thing. keep letting people in front of you.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:26 am
agreed Chai

I am appalled at manners these days. Lots of deep breathing and sucking up the knee jerk response to give the "screw you" look.

I hate the mall.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 09:11 am
What concerns me MOST is this lady works where I do...the one that gave me the nasty look. we are SUPPOSED to be customer serice and how can you give your customers a good transaction when you can't even be civil to the people you see on a daily basis?

whatever.

and i am always fearful of traffic confrontations - I try not to even look at someone that does something idiotic in traffic. All i can ever think about is that guy that gave someone that cut him off a dirty look. The cutter-offer slowed down, got behind the vehicle he had cut off and shot into the car - killed the daughter sitting in the back seat. It happened something like that if not exactly. But I can't get that story out of my head and it makes me afraid sometimes to even look at someone.

I don't want to run into mr. or ms. 'falling down'.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Screw You Lady!!!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:15:54