I'm not that excited about my new purchase [it's a handgun]

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 08:32 am
I just bought a S&W .38

what's nice is that my first night on the range I wasn't nervous to fire like I thought I'd be nor did I jump as high as I thought I would at the sound of all the firing around me. My shooting wasn't bad either.

It's an odd feeling, least it was for me, making that purchase. I take a class on concealed weapons permit in june that will assist me with filling out all the necessary paperwork and all that jazz, plus the legalities of it all. I didn't feel bad about making the purchase, but it left a real commentary on my personal thought about the state of the society where I live [local/nationallly] that I feel this is a good way to make sure I feel safe.

I really don't like walking down the street and thinking all the time if someone is following me or is going to try and grab me or if I'll be dragged into somewhere and terrible things done to me. Or if I can go to sleep or sit in silence watching tv and not worry about someone breaking in while I'm home.

It's an odd feeling for me to be growing okay with the possibility of putting someone else in pain and harming them to protect myself and my family. [Don't get me wrong, I'm taking shooting classes so I'll be effective if I do have to pull it out, and I'm not having any qualms about doing so...but it feels....different...that I feel that way]

Are there any handgun owners here that had conflicting feelings when you purchased?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 808 • Replies: 18
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 11:48 am
You're not supposed to be excited. It's just a tool; an expensive tool, but still, just a tool. I'm glad to hear you are learning to use it.

Be very sure to use hearing protection during practice, of course. Some people think they are getting used to the loud noise, but all they are getting is deaf.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 11:51 am
Congratulations!

The only second thoughts I've ever had is why didn't I buy another one?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 12:01 pm
Suggestion for the second: .40 caliber. A lot more knockdown power without a lot more recoil.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 12:44 pm
Good call cjhsa, I was torn between the ArmaLite AR-24 which is made in Turkey and is available in 9mm and .40 S&W on a compact frame. Or the AR-26 which is available in .45 and guaranteed to rip a Chevy blockĀ….

Until that is; I got me the new Vickers Tactical 1911 .45 auto from Nighthawk; this baby employs Caspian components such as the integral plunger tube and tactical magazine well and a trigger developed by Hamilton Yam.

It features a black finish, tan Strider Simonich grips, STI hammer and Heinie low-mount night sights. Options include Crimson Trace LaserGrips, ambidextrous safeties, Bo-Mar adjustable sights and a Coyote Tan finish that is better than sex!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 12:46 pm
Those CTLG's are way cool and illegal in Massachusetts, which makes them even better.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 01:12 pm
you're going to be drummed out of the exclusive A2K audacity of hope, enlightened liberal club now onyx.... but whether you care or not, I still love ya.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 01:19 pm
I recently shot a BushMaster AR-15 in .223. Lotsa noise, little felt recoil. I'd prefer it in .308.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 01:29 pm
onyxelle, What if, god forbid, A situation came up where you and your family came under attack by a violent criminal and you didn't have the gun and he got away with it and went on to victimize more more people.

It is true that alot of criminals have suffered a poor development and victimization but that sadly is out of your hands. You are a conscientious person and you seem very responsible. You are a perfect candidate for an armed citizen. Your right to bear an arm was a costly fight and alot of people feel it is the duty of a lawful citizen to be armed for the protection of the innocent.

And it's a great hobbie. Not a bad way to meet men either aye.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 02:24 pm
Thank you guys, i am greatful (grateful?) for the information...

I can't get a semi-automatic. I tried several at the gun store, but alas, my hands are too small to work it properly (when you have to use your thumb to lower that little lever and ....reset the chamber?)

I tried several .9mm and I couldn't handle either without great struggle.

Roger, thank you. I Purchased my very own eye & ear protection at the same time.

Bear - you know I wub you too! {{{{BPB}}}}
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 02:26 pm
Now, you didn't make this as a straw purchase for Hillary, did you?

[Wink]
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 02:29 pm
Did you buy the gun made for girl sized hands? They make alot of them now.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 04:48 pm
amigo, i did buy a girl sized handgun, and about meeting guys - it doesn't matter, i'm already taken - although not by a gun-toter lol.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:15 am
She got a J-frame S&W .38 "Lady Smith & Wesson", also known as the Chief's Special, as it was originally sold to LEO's as a backup, concealed weapon.

My Mom has one. It's accurate at most to 10 yards, and a bear to shoot tight groups with. I highly recommend the Crimson Trace laser grips for this gun. The only problem is that they run about $200 and all they are is a $5 cat toy embedded in molded grips.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 08:31 am
Lady Smith & Wesson. I like that name Smile It suits.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 04:01 pm
Re: I'm not that excited about my new purchase [it's a handg
onyxelle wrote:
I just bought a S&W .38

A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 04:54 pm
Try it from a sitting position, cj. I've an airweight chief special that will pop a tin can at 100 feet. The gun isn't intended for that distance, but the inherent accuracy is incredible. It is not a toy.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:11 pm
roger wrote:
Try it from a sitting position, cj. I've an airweight chief special that will pop a tin can at 100 feet. The gun isn't intended for that distance, but the inherent accuracy is incredible. It is not a toy.

I've known some guys that i thought had the same kinda firepower
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:12 pm
oooooo gurl... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I'm not that excited about my new purchase [it's a handgun]
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:30:54