Boy's Camps on the Cape

jgnourse

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 12:47 am
@Peter Gevanthor,
Peter: I remember you well. We had a great time at Camp Wampy and it changed my life for the better. It was Crawford Lindsay and he had a brother Charlie also at the Camp. Rememer the War Games? I was Captain for 2 years I think of the Wampas. I lived in Massachusetts for much of my life but now live North of LA. Remember Peter Miller, Bob Korn, Allan Tow and Skip Schermer and The Fake out repeats. Also the Fencing classes. Drop me a line.

John Nourse
0 Replies

Kesshin8

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 01:06 pm
@susie M,
If I recall Mr. Mulliken was my counselor when I was attended Wampy. I am sure I was there from '64-69. I would be working there now if it was open! Best summers of my life!
0 Replies

Kesshin8

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 01:19 pm
@Mloring,
Hi Margaret, I remember you. I was a camper from about'64-'69. my foster mother has passed on and she had all the yearbooks that i received at the end of each summer. Great memories. Wampy lives on in my Heart. Peace. My e-mail is: [email protected]. My name is Bill Hanifen. Thank you for sparking some memories!
0 Replies

Kesshin8

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 01:24 pm
@srteleman,
Hi Kim, My name is Bill Hanifen. Do you remember me from sailing? I am trying to picture you. I may have been so young that can not remember all I have met at Wampy. I was there from '64-'69.
0 Replies

67camper

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 08:49 pm
SAVE THE DATE!!!
CAMP WAMPANOAG ALUMNI REUNION!!!
When: Saturday, September 10, 2011
Where: Bourne, Massachusetts, at the camp's former main house.
For more information, please contact:
Chris Archer
917-438-8252
[email protected]
0 Replies

67camper

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 08:12 pm
Here's the link to a Facebook page - still being developed - for Camp Wampanoag alumni. Please, post comments and photos as you see fit.
- Chris Archer
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=596117768&ref=name#!/group.php?gid=106117792756077
0 Replies

altow0

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 05:08 pm
I thought you folks might want to see the real estate listing for the building.

The address is 2 Plow Penny Road, Bourne, MA. Google/map the address and you can see a satellite view of the property.

Notice the description of the Camp: "This is a very special property - known as Camp Wampanoag in the early 20th century and offering 60 years of glorious summers to hundreds of young boys."

See: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2-Plow-Penny-Rd-Bourne-MA-02532/55862549_zpid/

0 Replies

Jshu3046

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 07:37 pm
@Ragman,
Yes. I attended from 1929 until the war. Great experiences. Run by Dorothy Taylor. Remember the mud flats at low tide?
Bossin

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 10:12 am
Dear All,
I was a counselor at Camp Wampanoag during Summer 1968. At this time, France was under student turmoil and riots. So I left France quite annoyed and upset and came to the Camp with such a mind at the end of June expecting to stay there for three months. In fact I've stayed there for the all July and August before coming back to Paris to take my exams at my University of Law. I have great memories of my first US trip and stay. At the Camp we were four foreign counselors,: two German brothers, one Japanese belonging to the MIT and I. I remember others, american kids and conselors: Dave in charge of older kids, Alan Master of the salt water pool, also this Irish guy expert of softball practise...
At the beginning of my job, I've been in charge of sailing teaching later on of handicraft business. I remember also our days-off with trips to Bourne, to Harvard for paying a visit to Dave's friends. So were pleasant great barbecues somedays with kids' families, paddling to the Canal, lolling...
The greatest moment I've ever had was the day I left the Camp with a standing ovation from kids and counselors all singing: "For He's A Jolly Good Fellow". I do thank everyone I met during this period for all the best they have given to me.
Best wishes for all of you,
Jean-Michel Bossin
Possible to contact me: [email protected]
0 Replies

Susanmay

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2012 01:02 pm
@PJY,
I have an Alumni paper dated 1955 with news of campers and counselors from 1912-1938. No address for the camp. I believe my Grandfather went there. He was born in 1875 (so might have gone there in 1912). It says 1955 was the camp's 49th year. I don't think this paper is of use to anyone--except maybe a Buzzards Bay Historical group. I'll hold on to it and see if I can find such a group.
WHY did my family have to KEEP everything?!!
0 Replies

susie mull

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 08:41 pm
@Mloring,
Hi Margaret! Took me a while to get back at this site...quite a while actually... yes those were great days and how well I remember you and your family! We were lucky to have been growing up back then...I went back to Wampy several years ago and actually was saddened to see all the houses but it was nice to see the main house still there. I remember Snipatuit well and Peg Hall...she helped to shape me into the person I am today...what a lady! If you ever read this I would love to hear more from you! Go to my web site Edit [Moderator]: Link removed and you can give me your email through that and we can catch up! Anyone else out there too Smile
0 Replies

prof914

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 01:17 pm
@67camper,
I was a camper and had such a wonderful time. I remember fondly capture the flag and the minstrel shows
0 Replies

prof914

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2012 01:34 pm
@Kesshin8,
Hi. Iived for capture the flag! I was there in the mid 50's. What a great time.

Howard Hadley
0 Replies

bobroche

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:05 pm
@Jshu3046,
attended for 2 years in the very early 60's. . . . I remember the mud flats well, as well as everything else. . . . particularly war games
Bob Roche : [email protected]
0 Replies

ChuckD

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 11:09 am
@route20guy,
Hope you're still tracking the Camp Wampanoag thread stuff. I just now found this on a whim... my name's Chuck and I spent several deeply meaningful summers learning about and teaching sailing, swimming, water skiing, and life skills at Camp Wampanoag in the 50's and 60's. I remember watching the first U.S. moon landing on TV in the cafeteria there and how exciting that was to share that with those I had become so close to. I remember many names and have to thank the sons of Tom Glazer, author of the lyrics to that famous camp song "On Top of Spaghetti" for teaching me to play the guitar at Wampanoag. Tom actually came to the camp; sang and performed with and for all of us in the rectory bldg. where we held Sunday gatherings, sang hymns, and even learned fencing! I would love to find some of my old friends from that special place...
0 Replies

ChuckD

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 11:27 am
@Peter Gevanthor,
Hey Peter- I remember your name and am sure we were at W. together at some point. I also remember Crawford and Charlie and their phenominal athletic abilities. Wonder what happenned with them? I also remember Allen Tow and the incident involving the passing of that counselor. ..hadn't thought about that since I was a kid. I hope you get this and can get back to me to do some reminiscing. -Chuck Davidson
0 Replies

ChuckD

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 11:34 am
Wow! I just stumbled upon this Forum on a whim and I'm stoked! I remember several of the names on posts I've seen so far and am very excited about the possibilities to reconnect. I grew through the ranks at CW in the 50's and 60's and appreciate to this day the effects that's had on my life. I'm hoping this will lead to future reconnections and more... -Chuck Davidson
0 Replies

alees

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 09:23 am
@route20guy,
My name is Andrew Lees. I am a professor of History at Rutgers University. If you care to respond to any of what follows, you can reach me at [email protected].

A few weeks ago (July, 2013), I searched for Camp Wampanoag in Bourne on Google and quickly found my way into the online forum in which I am only now participating. Inasmuch as most of the messages to which I am attempting to respond were generated in 2008, many of their authors may not receive what I am sending now, but I hope that a few will and that they will find what I have to say of some interest.

I first attended Wampy in the summer of 1949 as a junior, living for eight weeks in one of the cabins on the hill. I spent the next five summers, through August of 1954 as a camper, working my way through tents on the hill to a tent for seniors closer to the water. I also spent the summers of 1956 and 1957 there, working in the kitchen.

I went to Wampy owing to the fact that it was owned by my great aunt, Dorothy Taylor, who lived in Newton, just outside Boston. Born in 1888, she had run it for several decades, first as co-director with her mother, who began it, I believe, sometime shortly after the death of her husband at the age of 53 in 1908. My aunt, who taught at a boys’ private school in Cambridge, became the sole director no later than 1939, when her mother died. My own mother having died early in 1949, I needed a place where I could think about things other than my recent loss and seek happiness. Also, inasmuch as I was living with my grandmother (Aunt Dot’s sister), not my father, it was important for me in the summer to be around men. In any case, the camp was the perfect place for me to spend not only the summer of 1949 but also later summers.

Like others, I recall sailing and canoeing on the inner bay, sailing on the outer bay, swimming in the concrete pool (where we all had “buddies” we were supposed to keep an eye on and whose hands we were supposed to raise when the whistle announced a “buddy call”), tennis, archery, riflery, arts and crafts (many lanyards were woven from gimp), and nature walks. Among organized activities, the “war games” stand out in my memory most vividly. How exciting it was to climb up the steps outside the nature lodge in order to get to a place where one could drop through an opening in the ceiling and liberate prisoners! I remember reading lots of comic books when I was young. But in 1950 or 1951, in the camp library, I discovered the pleasure of reading real books, beginning with books about the Hardy boys and Tom Mix.

I admired most of the counselors greatly, although I do remember a couple of nasty ones, who were sent packing because of their misdeeds (none of which, thank goodness, rose to a very serious level). The person who did the firing was Bill Mulliken, whom my aunt had taken on to serve as co-director. I remember a story in the “Saturday Evening Post” from 1949 or 1950 in a series about different sorts of jobs done by MEN that dealt with him as an example of a camp director. It was great publicity for the camp, but the story seemed to indicate that my aunt was Mulliken’s helper, not vice-versa! In any case, he was a good guy. So too was the chief counselor, Lee Pattison. I remember him standing up at lunch time in the dining hall to summarize main stories in the newspaper, which he did with great flair. Also, he played the bugle, which he used in order to announce daily activities: reveille in the morning; nondescript blasts to announce the end of activities periods; “soupy” to announce that it was time to head to the dining hall for dinner; and taps when it was time to go to bed.

My “Aunt Dot” was the heart and soul of the camp. An effective administrator, she was also an inspirational figure. I well remember her Sunday evening talks at our weekly assemblies, in which she reflected on the importance of honesty , courage, thinking of the needs of others, and so on. I also remember how she scolded once for having failed to report some constant bullying that I knew about. I like to think that she helped to shape not only me but also lots of other boys and young men as we were growing up.

My aunt (Miss Taylor) sold the camp in 1960 or 1961 to a retired military man, whose name I forget. She stayed on through the summer of 1961 to help effectuate the transition, but after that he was on his own. He wanted, understandably, to put his own mark on the camp—for instance, by introducing horseback riding. After a few years, I think, he was losing money--perhaps partly because of bad decisions but also no doubt in part because fewer families were sending their boys to summer camps nationwide. In any case, after a few years, he sold the land to developers. A few years ago, I inspected the camp grounds. I saw a small piece of what had been a tennis court and a fragment of a dock—fragmentary reminders of some of the happiest times I have ever had. I am glad to know that others have similar memories. (The food, by the way, never elicited much if any criticism as far as I can recall.)

0 Replies

DCWard

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 07:47 pm
Is this thread still active? I have a bunch of pictures that were bound as a camp "yearbook" from 1963, and will send via email to anyone interested. I was a CIT, and loved the years I went there. Returned probably a decade ago - and as others have said - not much left. One house that was a camp structure still had campers initials carved in it!
0 Replies

agbroadhurst

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2015 12:36 pm
@Ragman,
I was there about that time 1954-56 with Bill Mulliken and Dorothy Taylor as camp directors. You can reach me at [email protected]
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:41:56