Sometimes we need to appreciate what we have.

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 09:59 pm
I work with about 12 people. We are like the typical dysfunctional family. We love each other but get on each others nerves a lot too.

Here is a story about my friend B. B had worked in our department for 27 years. I came on board 9 years ago. B was married to a pshycologically impaired woman. B needed heart valve replacement surgery, but working in the health care field knew how risky the surgery was. He put off the surgery for years with the fear that he would leave his children in his wifes care.

B divorced 1 year ago and has been with a woman who has made him incredibly happy. He finally found a reason to get well and live a happy life.

B's father passed away 1 week ago from bladder cancer, his mother passed away yesterday. B had an 11 hour open heart surgery on wednesday and unfortunately suffered a massive stroke while under anethesia. He will be taken off of life support tomorrow.

I am so happy to know that he died with love in his heart and a wonderful woman who loved him deeply. He will be greatly missed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 562 • Replies: 8
No top replies

TTH

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 11:39 pm
martybarker
I am glad you can find happiness with that knowledge. That is not the way I felt as I held my dad's hand and watched him die. There was no happiness and never will be.

The one I loved with all my heart died in my arms in 1996. It hurt like nothing I have ever felt before. People say time heals all wounds. It hasn't for me. There is not one day I don't think about him and yes I still cry over him.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 05:43 am
Marty

I am so sorry for the terrible loss that the lady with whom B had fallen in love with, is now suffering. I also am sorry for your loss having worked with B for many years. My heart goes out to you and them.

I do also believe that when someone dies, knowing that they die with love around them and that they are loved - makes letting go of life more peaceful - if that makes sense. In essence - I would agree that even tho his life has been cruelly cut short, he did have love around him and the little time they had together - to me... is a more valued life than living until one is 100 years old feeling unloved and not being able to show love. Just my personal opinion though.

It must be so terribly difficult for B's children and their other family with the loss of 3 family members in one week - devastating - I find it hard to imagine what they must be going through right now.

I also agree we all need to try and make the most of the time we have here, which is far from easy much of the time for many, but IMO, we get one shot at it - we have to try and make the best and make our time of value to those we care and love. I know how difficult that is for some.

My thoughts are with you ((Marty)). We should count our blessings.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 06:07 am
Marty--

We're spoiled in the Western World about ho-hum medical miracles and facing untimely death.

Still, reality invades.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 06:10 am
Thanks for the responses. The reality of this situation comes and goes. I like the feeling of denial way better than the real deal. I'm just so sad.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 08:22 am
Feeling grateful for the good we encounter in a life that is so entangled in mental torture is to retain sanity. Sometimes that good is all too fleeting, but it is real nevertheless. So I believe. Through the sadness of the loss of my mother and most of my original family, I look back, sometimes with tenderness, sometimes horror. The tender thoughts are my sanity. The horror I can deal with; I intend to outlast it.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 08:25 am
I am sorry you feel so sad.
((((martybarker))))
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 11:33 am
We do need to appreciate what we have.

You really got me to thinking, Marty. People are always telling me how lucky I am to have had the kind of life I had growing up. And I smile and heartily agree with them.

I've had others say that I have more at my age, than most people have in a lifetime. These are just things I have worked for. I am a go-getter in my profession and it has paid off well. BUT nothing that I can honestly say that I HAVE to have materially. Things are .....well, just "things." And if I am graced with a roof over my head and food in my tummy.....that is a blessing. It doesn't need to be anything special.

So, thinking about what you said I asked myself if I really do appreciate things in my life. And at first I thought....YES!

But now, I'm not so sure because I know that I have been VERY guilty of taking things for granted. Especially the love of family. I can't even think about losing any of them!

Thank you for this thread, Marty. You have definitely got me thinking.

I think that I truly can NOT honestly say that I FULLY appreciate what I have till I stop taking it for granted.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 12:30 pm
May he rest in peace and may you find solace in your memories, marty.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Sometimes we need to appreciate what we have.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 08:48:53