Knee injury/ military

Johnmg

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 04:43 pm
I have been looking into joining the airforce for some time now. I have not been able to find anywhere anything about physical requirements to join. My problem is i have blown my right knee out twice and recently tore my MCL in my other knee. I am going to be having a full reconstructive surgery on the knee i blew out, and rehabing my knee i tore my mcl in. Would i still be able to join the military at that point? I have a feeling that even if i can train and some how get my knee in shape enough to make it through basic training i would still be turned down. Plus the odds of a doctor giving me the ok after a full knee replacement are slim. Im not sure if i would even wanna risk further injury to my knee by putting it through the torture of boot camp. Maybe i should just forget about this whole thing and pursue something more suitable to my physical ability at this point.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,364 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 05:44 pm
Johnmg- I think that you have answered your question yourself. As far as the military is concerned, I know that they have relaxed certain standards in order to attract more recruits. I don't know the parameters in terms of physical fitness.

Anyhow, IMO I think that it would be very dangerous for you to stress your knee in general, considering what has happened. Going through basic training is tough for someone who has good knees. You certainly don't want to damage yourself to the point where you can't be fixed any more.

You are young, and there are plenty of things that you can do with your life that won't put undue stress on damaged knees. Good luck in your search!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 06:17 pm
I know several people that joined the Air Force after having knee problems. Most people are screened out right off the bat for that sort of thing and a full knee replacement will most certianly disqualify you. One guy in one of my units blew his knee out and when he was talking to the doc he slipped up and mentioned that he had had knee surgey twice before joining the AF. They patched him up, sent him a bill for the services and promptly discharged him for falsifying his record when enlisting.

It wouldn't hurt to ask a recruiter if that is where your interests lie but be up front about your situation.
0 Replies

Johnmg

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 05:48 am
yea, once i have the scars from surgery its going to be impossible to keep them from finding out i have ruined my knees before. I wouldnt at all like to go and lie about it and then when it happens get a dishonorable discharge. Im just going to have to find a different track to get on. Maybe even sports medicine, or sports rehab.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Knee injury/ military
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 02:29:11