Myanmar and Cyclone Nargis

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 12:13 pm
When I first saw the news it was that less than 400 people died in Cyclone Nargis. The number kept climbing incrementally. The latest numbers I've seen are that 22,000 people have died, possibly up to 100,000 -- about 40% of them children.

This is the kind of thing about which there isn't much more to say than "how horrible." But I did want to say something. (Apologies if there is already a thread -- I looked and didn't find one.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,982 • Replies: 19
No top replies

mismi

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 12:28 pm
I was watching the news this morning Soz...it is horrible. Because they are at or below sea level the 12 ft storm surge devastated everything. And did I hear that the government did not warn or prepare them properly. I haven't had time to look it up yet...will try to do that.

Heartbreaking stuff...and they say that the aftermath may be worse than the actual storm because of the contaminated water and such. Just overwhelming how devasted they are there.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 12:31 pm
Quote:
New Delhi: More than 15,000 people are feared dead in the devastation caused by Cyclone Nargis in Myanmar.

The survivors have no access to power or water and Yangon has appealed for international help. India has already sent two warships with relief material.

The country is bearing the brunt of the deadliest natural disaster in its history. The casualty count has been rising rapidly, as authorities reach the worst-hit islands and villages in the Irrawaddy Delta, where the storm wreaked the most havoc.

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/death-toll-crosses-15000-myanmar-calls-for-help/64628-2.html
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 12:32 pm
Thanks shewolf
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 12:40 pm
death toll may exceed 100,000 people
I didn't see one (thread) either, but regardless, this one has been started so shall we continue?

NY Times headline now reports: "Death Toll May Exceed 100,000 People" as reported by US Embassy.

So far the report is 22,500 KNOWN dead. 41,000 missing.

"The sharp escalation in the estimate of the death toll was given by the diplomat, Shari Villarosa, the charge d'affaires at the United States Embassy in Myanmar, during a conference call with reporters. She said the provisional figures, which were not confirmed, were provided by an international nongovernmental organization, which she did not name.

"The information that we're receiving indicates that there may well be over 100,000 deaths in the delta area," Ms. Villarosa said, Reuters reported. The population of Myanmar is about 43 million."

"But Ms. Villarosa said the Myanmar government now estimated the death toll at 70,000 deaths, mostly in the delta area,

"The situation in the delta sounds more and more horrendous," she said, adding that many people had died when the storm struck them while they were sleeping, and either inundated them or swept them out to sea, Reuters reported.

The French foreign minister, Bernard Kouchner, said that the United Nations should invoke its "responsibility to protect" civilians as the basis for a resolution to force delivery of aid to Myanmar, even if over the objections of the military government there."

From what I read, the tragedy is now compounded as Myanmar's military rule gov't is preventing rescue, recovery or any aid by delay of the granting for visas for rescue workers. The UN is debating on whether or not to force the rescue issue. Myanmar gov't is paranoid and has long been xenophobic and has seen outsiders as a risk to maintaining power. they'd rather let people die.

Reports from a few villages that can be gotten to have less than 5% survival rate to this point. Areas have been spotted with 1000s of bodies floating. Scattered villagers have had isolated food and water dropped from helicopters...but even this has been singular incidences.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 07:01 am
Apparently the military government has STILL refused the aid of several countries. It is a trajedy....they aren't going to have much of a country unless they let someone come in and help...all those dead bodies...can you imagine the disease that will come from the state this place is in?

Myanmar Faces Pressure to Allow Major Aid Effort
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 08:54 am
Death and Destruction Could Be Equal to 2004 Xmas Tsunami
BTW, in an effort to try and understand what sort of forces are behind what this gov't contributes to this atrocity (non-rescue), here's some background on Myanmar:

It has had a military junta ruling their gov't since 1962 and has increasingly isolated itself from the rest of the world (1974). The reason that there's controversy over the name of the country is that many nations refuse to recognize the current gov't (military coup d'état) and still refer to it as Burma. In May 1990 Burma held a "free election", which was to be nullified. Their constitution is suspended.

In November 2006, the International Labour Organization announced it will be seeking "to prosecute members of the ruling Myanmar junta for crimes against humanity" over the continuous forced labour of its citizens by the military at the International Court of Justice.

On October 13, 2007, the military junta of Burma made people march in a government rally, reportedly paying some participants 1000 kyat (approximately $0.80) each. Junta officials also approached local factories and demanded they provide 50 workers each; if they didn't, they were to be fined.

On 7 February 2008, SPDC announced that there will be referendum for the Constitution in May 2008, and Election by 2010.

Various global corporations have been criticized for profiting from the dictatorship by financing Burma's military junta.

World governments remain divided on how to deal with the military junta. Calls for further sanctions by United Kingdom, United States, and France are opposed by neighboring countries; in particular, China has stated its belief that "sanctions or pressure will not help to solve the issue".

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Foreign aid workers found that 2 to 3 million are homeless, in the worst disaster in Burma's history, comparable with the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 09:11 am
Thanks for the additional info, mismi and Ragman.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 09:33 am
No problem. This tragedy worsens by the moment as those who are lucky enough (?) survivors are being left to die by starvation, thirst, disease, or some other ghastly manner. The world is and should be watching AND ACTING.

If the UN can do one thing right, it (and a coalition of other International rescue workers) should get rescue help in there even if it means forcing the issue on these miscreants who run this gov't.

Let's see China step up to bat here too.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 10:26 am
Oxfam
The humanitarian organization which I respect and trust the most is Oxfam. The report on deaths is out of date in the report below.--- BBB

Myanmar cyclone

A cyclone hit the Myanmar delta region in the early hours of Saturday morning (3 May), with a death toll estimated to be 22,000 to date and another one million displaced. Oxfam has committed more than $725,000 in aid. As we currently do not run operational programs in Myanmar, our aid effort will be channeled through partner organizations.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 10:37 am
I've been following this as well - seems they are still not letting aid workers go into the country - they have requested visa, but the government has not approved them yet. It seems many of these aid organizations do not want to just leave the food/water and other assistance because they are concerned the army will keep it for themselves and not give to those that need it.

Wonder whether we could just fly over the more remote areas and drop some aid?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 10:41 am
At this point it seems it would be better to try than not in my opinoin Linkat...these poor people.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 12:05 pm
Re: Oxfam
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
The humanitarian organization which I respect and trust the most is Oxfam. The report on deaths is out of date in the report below.--- BBB

Myanmar cyclone

A cyclone hit the Myanmar delta region in the early hours of Saturday morning (3 May), with a death toll estimated to be 22,000 to date and another one million displaced. Oxfam has committed more than $725,000 in aid. As we currently do not run operational programs in Myanmar, our aid effort will be channeled through partner organizations.

Please scroll back and read the updated report that I posted yesterday:

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3226694#3226694
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 08:42 am
So now I just read on CNN that Myanmar authorities have seized the aid intended for victims. No the UN is not planning on sending more relief, because of course they want to make sure it gets to the victims that need it most.

The US has devised a new plan hoping it is accepted by the government - the US plans to minimize American troops on the ground. They plan on flying into Myanmar carrying UN supplies and drop them off and turn around and leave, but try to conduct as many flights as possible. They are also proposing Navy helicopters that are currently in Thailand and on Navy ships to fly supplies to remote areas and conduct low-level flights to air drop supplies without touching the ground - my idea, thank you very much.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/05/09/myanmar/index.html?eref=rss_topstories
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 08:50 am
I've also been wondering about Aung san Suu Kyi - if she is safe, and more threatened than ever by the junta now. Interesting to worry about hundred(s) of thousands and one particular person, the only person I've heard of/remember the name of in Burma.

If you go to Google's main inquiry page, you'll see a support link there.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 09:33 am
I did read about her in an article - something about her roof being blown off. I wondered if they are not getting aid through - how do we know that this happened?

I've also seen other pictures (although very few) of the victims - how are we getting pictures if no one is there?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 09:46 am
I read something via google news page this morning.. I think it was on the BBC news site - that had different people in Rangoon making comments. One person had off grid water and electricity, had a bit of internet time yesterday. Apparently the outlying areas of Rangoon are worst hit. Sorry, no link, but check BBC international news. Or maybe it was Reuter's.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 02:53 pm
thanks people for that update. Interesting observation about how pressing this political and humanitarian issue is and how few other members of A2K make comments about it. Not sure about what to make of this.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 02:54 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I read something via google news page this morning.. I think it was on the BBC news site - that had different people in Rangoon making comments. One person had off grid water and electricity, had a bit of internet time yesterday. Apparently the outlying areas of Rangoon are worst hit. Sorry, no link, but check BBC international news. Or maybe it was Reuter's.

Thanks - I've read a bit more and there is one Red Cross branch that is there - no sure where the represent - I think they maybe were there before and yes I've found where some have had some internet.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:07 pm
I watched news on PBS tonight and that report was from BBC.
0 Replies