SIGNATURE LINE STUPIDITY

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 11:26 am
I've had many signature lines, and i often attempt to get a wry comment (at least what is a wry comment in my opinion) to put there, and have often relied upon Mr. Clemens, although i've had a lot of quotes from a variety of authors.

Not long ago, i was reading a novel by Harry Leon Wilson. Wilson was a moderately popular and successful novelist in America in the period from about 1910 to about 1930. He is remembered, it he is remembered at all, for his novel Ruggles of Red Gap. The novel i was reading was Lone Tree. It is about a former rounder (i.e., what people today refer to as a "cowboy") who had become a modestly successful cattleman, and on whose land oil is discovered, making him a multi-millionaire. His wife and father-in-law and his wife's sisters go crazy with the money, and as the novel opens, they are in Europe, spending foolishly as though there were no tomorrow. He has gone to New York, to be there when they come back on the passenger liner. While there, he is taken ill, and is taken to a hospital for an emergency appendectomy. Being wealthy, he is put into a private room, and has two private-duty nurses. The day nurse is a "flapper," who is a wise acre, and who hopes her "case" will be there long enough so that she can earn enough money to buy a stylish fur coat. The night nurse is Doyle, a no nonsense type who gets along well with Ben (the rancher/oil millionaire), and who has a sole obsession in life--babies. Men don't impress her much, though, so the normal avenue for a woman to get a baby is not open to her.

But there is a baby in the maternity ward who has been abandoned by her mother, who was herself earlier abandoned by the father. Doyle dreams of stealing the boy, and Ben encourages and abets her, using his wealth and contacts to hatch a successful plot. This is by no means the whole of the story, but it is what is need to "set-up" an explanation. One evening, at the change of shift, Doyle and the flapper are in the bathroom talking about the "case" (Ben), when Doyle becomes obsessed with railing against men, and plotting to steal the baby. The flapper says to her:

"You talk like Joan of Arc . . . that gal the British set fire to."

I found it mildly amusing, and decided to put it in my signature line. It has gotten more response than any other signature line i've ever had. It has been commented upon at least three (and i think, four) times. Two of the comments have been hilarious. Tryst argued about stupid things for pages in a completely unrelated thread (i suspect that Tryst is another persona of the member Try Again, but that's a different story). In a thread in the English forum, in which one of our Chinese members was asking about commas, Contrex, an America-hating Saxon who says he lives in France, also attempted to deny the truth of the signature line (which is what Tryst attempted to do).

Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick, Mr. Wizard--what the Hell is up with that? Why does such an innocuous little line taken from a 1929 novel which is long forgotten stir up such silliness?

Y'all are goofy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 696 • Replies: 18
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 11:53 am
Set
http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/cartoons/goofy/goofy_1.jpg
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 11:57 am
Heh...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 12:16 pm
Why do you worry, Set?

The only way I deal with pucelles is making them not to be..

Is that clear?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 01:03 pm
I love Harry Leon Wilson's books. That's probably why there's a lovely selection of them to read in the house.

Any attention he gets is good in my eyes.

People could learn a lot from his books.

Common sense, to start off with.

~~~

Tryst and contrex can be at the front of the line for the common sense fairy.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 01:28 pm
I wish people would take my sig line more seriously. Then they would understand that I'm just an ordinary, regular person who happens to be a super-villian. Really, I'm not so different.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 01:30 pm
What's super villian got to do with thechurchofican'tbelieveit'snotbutter?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 01:40 pm
Not that sig line, the other one, silly!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 02:03 pm
oic
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 03:39 pm
Because the sig line wasn't ABOUT this obscure writer, it was about Brits allegedly burning a French person.

Quite a famous one, I believe.

In other words, you said the Brits turned Joan of Arc into a faggot.

That's bound to get SOME sort of reaction.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 03:43 pm
dlowan wrote:
Because the sig line wasn't ABOUT this obscure writer, it was about Brits allegedly burning a French person.

nooooooooooo

that's not what it's about

sheeeeesh
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 04:47 pm
I love to check sig lines.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 05:01 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I love to check sig lines.

me too, i love shewolf's shoe sig
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 05:04 pm
And I rather like yours, Dj...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 06:06 am
dlowan wrote:
In other words, you said the Brits turned Joan of Arc into a faggot.

That's bound to get SOME sort of reaction.

There ain't no mention at all of homosexuals in that line . . . you is just a goofy wabbit . . .
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 06:24 am
ossobuco wrote:
And I rather like yours, Dj...

and i heart yours osso.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 10:09 am
The bunny's just being funny, tha's all.

Think bundle of sticks.

Pot stirrer!

Razz
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 10:19 am
Who? Innocent me? It is to laugh . . .
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 08:49 pm
Joeblow wrote:
The bunny's just being funny, tha's all.

Think bundle of sticks.

Pot stirrer!

Razz

A funnybunny!????

Now who's taking the piss???
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » SIGNATURE LINE STUPIDITY
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 10:24:38