Why do homeless folks live where they do?

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 11:59 pm
Just curious to your opinions, and why the damn opportunists are everywhere? Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,607 • Replies: 37
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 12:09 am
Why do birds flock to parking lots of grocery stores?
You have your homeless that stick to the vicinity of missions or perhaps ride freights, most of which do work at least a bit. They are a distinct other breed from the professional beggars, although the two sometimes overlap.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 12:11 am
Excuse me, I'm disentangling my snarled fangs, and can't type just yet.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 04:19 am
Reminds me of an old joke. About the officer banging on the door looking for a certain jewish man. During the war.

A man answers the door. When they ask "Is X here."
"No. He doesn't live here."
"His name is X. Do you know him?"
"Yes. He doesn't live here!"
"Is your name X?"
"Yes."
"Well, then you live here. Come with me."

"You call this living?"

something like that...sorry for hacking it to death. lol.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 05:03 am
Erm....poverty, mental health issues, drug and alcohol problems, bad ******* luck, personality disorders, trauma and abuse (especially kids), ....there's a few for starters.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 06:38 am
opportunists... Confused

hmmm...

elaborate...?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 06:48 am
shewolfnm wrote:
opportunists... Confused

hmmm...

elaborate...?

I think this hearkens to a renaissance of this thread:

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=96511&start=0
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 08:17 am
My first reply, while I stand by it, was the product of a tired brain. I reflected on personal experience, forgetting about the countless families that lose everything, particularly unwed or abused mothers. It goes wthout saying, most cannot get back on their feet without help. They are where they are, because the alternative would be worse.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 4 May, 2008 08:26 am
dlowan wrote:
I think this hearkens to a renaissance of this thread

ahhhh..
I missed that ( the link between the two)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 09:31 am
I met a man yesterday. His name was Rodney Lee Hairston, and he made my day.

Rodney is not homeless, but with one wrong step, he could be that or worse.

I was being goaded to eat something for breakfast yesterday, so I decided on health food, and pulled into Golden Mac's place. I drive a rather unique little car, so I parked way at the back, away from the doorbangers and such.

As I walked back to my car with my bundle of nutrition, I spied an old man walking over thru the adjoining lot from the Hospital outpatient clinic.
(much like on the forum, I kinda give off a "there is an easier mark" air in real life, as well) so I got in my car, and thought little of it. As I waited to back out, and go on my way, he turned to approach me.

What's up, I said.

I just had to ask you 'bout the car, he says with no teeth.

She's a beaut, huh, says me.

My daddy bought one jus' 'bout like that when he got out the war, and always said it was the best car he ever had. He had a Packard, too. It had the biggest seats I ever saw. I turned 56 today, he says...(coughs uncontrollably for a second or two)

I been over getting my breathing treatments, he says...

I see. Those are a good thing. I say

What year is she, he asks?

I tell him, and that it is the same age as me, and in much better shape.

We laugh.

He tells me to have a great day, and turns to go. He stops and asks if I might have 50 cents, so's he could get a cuppa joe?

I say no. and he turns to go...

I say, hey wait just a sec.

I pull out a five, and wave it at him, telling him to go in and get some
breakfast. (I rarely do this for reasons my own)

He gets sparkly eyed, and says "No suh, fo' Five dollahs, you gets a show."

He did a really poor Elvis, complete with a blue suede shoes slide step, and Ali talking 'bout Sonny Liston. (mind you the man had not teeth)

I smiled all the way through, true joy at watching him enjoy himself.

He told me that he lives with his mama and gave me the address as though he wanted me to know he was not "street folk" and asked me if some time he could please wax my car for me.

I told him I would see what we could do, but that I hadda get on to work, or I'd be jobhunting. He put out his hand, and we bumped knuckles, and went our seperate ways. (he did go in and order)

I had a cold breakfast, but a warm heart.

Poor folks are people too...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 09:44 am
I have at times given money to homeless drunks. Once, in front of a U-Totem grocery, a drunk man begged for money to get a sandwich. I gave him about five dollars, grinning. "You ain't gonna get no sandwich," I told him.
But I didn't wait to see if I was right.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 09:48 am
Rockhead wrote:

I pull out a five, and wave it at him, telling him to go in and get some
breakfast. (I rarely do this for reasons my own)

Bless your dear heart, ((((Rock!))))
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 09:49 am
I don't like the hit-and-miss results of giving to folks on the street.

Nowadays I'll give food, but not money. I really prefer to donate to my local food bank, though.

And I refuse to reward the intersection sign people.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 09:49 am
There was a time when I was much more free about it, EB, but that was my lunch money.

I get to watch a lot of inner city activity from my place of business, and there are quite a number of professional beggars.

I try not to support those types.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 09:51 am
dlowan wrote:
Erm....poverty, mental health issues, drug and alcohol problems, bad **** luck, personality disorders, trauma and abuse (especially kids), ....there's a few for starters.

Yup.

Having close social ties to a number of psychologists who work with such populations, I have a rather jaded view.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 09:58 am
I was a paycheck or two away from being homeless myself, at the time. Earlier days spent riding the rails and hitching gave me a different perspective than I might otherwise have. I am practically one of them, by experience. The only difference, I could not bring myself to approach a stranger to ask for money. I went days with no food, instead.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 10:13 am
And nowadays, most communities have facilities to assist folks in that circumstance.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 10:22 am
I did a two month homeless stint recently myself, you gain a lot of perspective. I have found that most do not ask for assistance, much like Ed noted. Pride is not only for the well to do...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 10:48 am
On the road, eating and other comforts are not of overriding importance. I left San Antonio, bound for California, with about four dollars, the first time I left home. I spent half of it on books to read along the way.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 11:45 am
No need to repeat things I have said before, but the homeless that really need and use help more than likely will not be found on the street corner with some dinky attempt at a witty sign
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why do homeless folks live where they do?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 03:51:48