I love you, the perfect stranger who... today

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 09:44 pm
There was a thread like this, once. I think nimh started it, but i can't find it. I need it back, so I'm starting this one.

Who I love today is the Netflix tech support guy. He was so strong, so helfpful, so gentle and caring, saw right through me (ok, right through my computer) even though we've never met. He made all my troubles go away and I felt so safe.

Oh, and I can watch movies online again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 724 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 09:47 pm
I'll second that, Netflix guy was nice to me when I lost my wallet, notified credit card places, but not Netflix. I'm a fan.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 09:57 pm
I need a Netflix guy.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 09:59 pm
No, Montana, you need ANYguy Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 10:09 pm
Laughing You're not freakin kidding!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 02:22 am
Smiled at me and moved sideways so that I could sit next to her.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 02:35 am
I like to think that I'm the perfect stranger....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 04:40 am
Francis wrote:

Strangler
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 09:05 am
Francis wrote:

oh, you are? i'm also having troubles with gmail on my cellphone. feel free to call to resolve it anytime!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 09:08 am
Re: I love you, the perfect stranger who... today
dagmaraka wrote:
There was a thread like this, once. I think nimh started it, but i can't find it. I need it back, so I'm starting this one.

Who I love today is the Netflix tech support guy. He was so strong, so helfpful, so gentle and caring, saw right through me (ok, right through my computer) even though we've never met. He made all my troubles go away and I felt so safe.

Oh, and I can watch movies online again.

Good customer service, it's a corker. When I get good service I almost always contact the company to let them know about the person. Usually people in the Netflix guy's position don't get paid very well, so this way the company will know what a gem they have in him and at least treat him well, you know?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 09:35 am
you're right, gala. 3 times that i called netflix in my lifetime, they were always super nice. i should let them know i appreciate it. will do!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 09:37 am
From the Customer Service end of it - let at least the person you think has done a good job know it -- keeps their spirits up at least.

Also, if you feel someone has gone out of their way and done well by you not only get their name but also ask if you would need an id# for them specifically. Some of us are only required to give you that information if you ask for it and can only give our first names for the most part so who knows how many times that information is taken by the company as a 'thank you for letting us know' only type of thing and not further.

We do get very few 'Thank you's' and when we do get them everyone is excited about them.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:24 pm
Re: I love you, the perfect stranger who... today
dagmaraka wrote:

Oh, I totally forgot about that one! Yeah, that was a sweet thread...

wait...

here we are: Dear [random ____ I saw today], I love you.

It was cute! Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 06:37 pm
quinn1 wrote:
From the Customer Service end of it - let at least the person you think has done a good job know it -- keeps their spirits up at least. [..]

We do get very few 'Thank you's' and when we do get them everyone is excited about them.

Not just customer service people either...

The other day I read an article in the Boston Globe, in which the reporter did a solid job in debunking competing claims from the two Democratic camps. It was about numbers - about whether Clinton could expect a last-day advantage in the PA primary in comparison with what the polls were saying. Bill Clinton had said A, professor so and so opined B, somebody from the Obama campaign asserted C.

All that this reporter did was just check the data from previous primaries, compute the relevant numbers for himself, and hold up the respective claims to the facts. Instead of just safely/lazily reporting, "Campaign A asserted that... Campaign B retorted that..", and leaving at that. Just basic fact-checking, what journalists used to do all the time.

As it happened, it turned out that yes, Hillary could probably count on a last-day advantage (as it indeed turned out to be), so it wasn't good news for me as Obama sympathiser - but I dropped him an email anyway, just to say that he'd done a good job, and that I wished there was more simple fact-checking like that going on. I got an email back from the guy the same day, thanking me for my thoughtfulness, because "so often it is only complaints people want to share."

Same happened a couple years ago, when I dropped an email to a Member of Parliament - not even one from my own party. He'd said something about asylum-seekers that I thought was conscientious and, at that time, pretty brave, so I thanked him. He wrote back that he was very glad, because the only emails he usually got was hatemail from the far right, and lots of that.

Now that I'm writing this down, I feel kind of sorry not having done it more often...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 06:49 pm
Sort'a related.......and as an observation if nothing else: I have often found perfect strangers are more polite / civil than those close to you. Seems a bit ass-backwards when you think about!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 10:47 pm
Chumly - you have a point (relatives can treat you like dirt) but I have to say that I feel like the only person in the area that would actually hold a door or help out an elderly person. They are so thankful for it too. I think if someone knew them they would do it but since they don't then they usually just walk by or ignore them.

I have to thank my neighbor for taking out my trash and recycling for the last two weeks as well as bringing the barrels back too!!
He also waited until he saw that I was awake to mow the lawn.
He's so cute (he's like 80).
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I love you, the perfect stranger who... today
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 02:36:16